Any tips for squirrel hunting?

.22lr is more than enough, I use a 'scoped bolt .22. A.17HMR will expolde your squirrel unless you do a head shot. I look for Oak trees, pick a spot, sit and wait till I hear them chattering of see them. If they're in the trees I only shoot when the bullet will hit the tree behind them. Occasionally I can snip one on the ground. Mepps will buy tails from you.

There's plenty of recipies and can be alright (yes I've eaten them) but I wouldn't call them fine dining. [laugh]

.22lr is more than enough, I use a 'scoped bolt .22. A.17HMR will expolde your squirrel unless you do a head shot. I look for Oak trees, pick a spot, sit and wait till I hear them chattering of see them. If they're in the trees I only shoot when the bullet will hit the tree behind them. Occasionally I can snip one on the ground. Mepps will buy tails from you.

There's plenty of recipies and can be alright (yes I've eaten them) but I wouldn't call them fine dining. [laugh]

I was just thinking about getting a .17 air rifle for hunting squirrel. Something like this http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?product=Whisper&productID=234
My thought was I could just keep an air rifle in my car and not have to worry about any ridiculous storage requirements associated with a real gun.

I've never hunted squirrel before, but I figured since you can hunt red squirrel all year round round I could hunt them while scouting areas for deer in the off season (something which I should have been doing for the past few months [thinking]).

Also, $0.16 for a gray tail and $0.08 for red? I can't see any possible to make money let alone break even from shipping by doing that unless I actually just live in the woods. ETA: Ok I see they refund shipping for 50+ tails, but that still seems like a lot to get.

ETA: It now occurs to me: Is it even legal to hunt squirrel with an air rifle? The mass wildlife page says you can use rifle handgun or shotgun, does an air rifle fall under their definition of "rifle"?

Last edited:
Air rifle is good even in zones restricted to shotgun. I had an email from MA Wildlife that answered me in that regard but I can't find it since I changed computers and email software. If you email them and carry a copy of the response, you shouldn't have a problem.

410 shotgun #6 shot the shot will get stuck between the skin and the meat for the most part. couple squirrel and a rabbit in a crock pot is not a bad meal.

Challenge yourself - head shots only:
keeps the meat clean, keeps the kill quick

.22LR rifle or pistol.

If you're hunting a specific animal, pattern it - know when it moves, where it comes from and where it goes. Otherwise you're just shooting.

Learn to stalk, be quiet in the woods and see everything else - soon you'll become a deer and/or turkey hunter...

This summer, I had a lot of fun ridding my backyard of squirrels & chipmunks with .177 and/or .22 cal pellet air rifles. Now that the varmints are gone, I'm thinking of setting up a target range so I can shoot at home any time. And although I love my firearms, air guns don't require any cleaning or lube after use.

This summer, I had a lot of fun ridding my backyard of squirrels & chipmunks with .177 and/or .22 cal pellet air rifles. Now that the varmints are gone, I'm thinking of setting up a target range so I can shoot at home any time. And although I love my firearms, air guns don't require any cleaning or lube after use.

[thinking]

if you want to see lots of squirrel go hunting for deer and turkey, guarantee you will see a ton of them. Now if you want to see deer and turkey go hunting for squirrel

if you want to see lots of squirrel go hunting for deer and turkey, guarantee you will see a ton of them. Now if you want to see deer and turkey go hunting for squirrel

This.

I had a red squirrel almost mistake me for the base of a tree was planning on running up when I was turkey hunting last spring. He got about 2 feet away from me and stopped dead in his tracks.

you need someone to chase the little buggers around the tree for you...funny open season on reds, aint seen a red in 20 years plenty of greys though.

Mepps will buy tails from you.

Huh, thanks for the link, didn't know anybody was buying squirrel tails. Too bad you don't get much for them. I wish there was still a demand for furs, like when my grandpa used to trap. This month's issue of North American Hunter had a section about trapping and it said that they used to get $11 for muskrat, $45 for coons, and $65 for red-fox pelts around 1979. Now I know why my granpa used to trap. --Here's to hoping they go in demand again...[thinking]

This.

That and I think the ideal tree-rat set up is 2 people with .22 rifles (and handguns), sitting about 20-30 feet apart in an oak-y forest. Just sit, wait, and BE QUIET.

This.

That and I think the ideal tree-rat set up is 2 people with .22 rifles (and handguns), sitting about 20-30 feet apart in an oak-y forest. Just sit, wait, and BE QUIET.

What are we waiting for?

Lets go!

ETA Rub two quarters together in your palm. It mimics the sound of sq's chewing acorns.

Last edited:
When does the season open?

(a) gray squirrels may be hunted in Wildlife Management Zones 01 through 09 from the second Monday in September to the following January 2;

(b) gray squirrels may be hunted in Wildlife Management Zones 10 through 14 from the first Saturday after Columbus Day to the following January 2;

(c) hunting of gray squirrels is CLOSED statewide during the 2-week "shotgun" deer season.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_squirrels.htm

(a) gray squirrels may be hunted in Wildlife Management Zones 01 through 09 from the second Monday in September to the following January 2;

(b) gray squirrels may be hunted in Wildlife Management Zones 10 through 14 from the first Saturday after Columbus Day to the following January 2;

(c) hunting of gray squirrels is CLOSED statewide during the 2-week "shotgun" deer season.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_squirrels.htm

Dude. I'll call you next week. We'll moosehill it up.

I am a total rookie to hunting, but I have wanted to get into it for a while. I live in Haverhill, which means shotgun or archery only. I have a 12GA semi and a .22LR semi. Any suggestions for a slightly less than vaporizing shell? or is there anyone in a western zone who would be willing to show a newbie the ropes hunting with a 22 some saturday?

Nate

Now im probably going to draw alot of flack for this but im gonna go out on a limb here. I am new to hunting only in a legal sense. First and foremost iv been taught to be a conservationist. On one hand i want to go out this week and do a little squirrel hunting , i think i will help me with my accuracy, and all around hunting skills, but on the other hand ... i probably wont eat them, i have food in the fridge .. so other than for sport which to me seems a bit unethical .. i cant justify it. What are some reasons ( and i CAN be convinced ) to hunt squirrel ... 5 at a time.

Here's five suggestions to increase your skills:

Want help with accuracy ?
Go to an Appleseed shoot &/or take up trap shooting.
Plink at wood blocks or golf balls and see how long you can keep one moving.

Want to actually track and hunt animals and not feel guilty about killing them and abandoning their carcass ?

Bring a camera instead of a rifle.

Sorry if that's not the answer you're looking for but I'm not comfortable with the wanton waste of game.
One way or another, its your choice. [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom