Any shops sell holsters?

I've been reading up on other holsters besides the waste band holsters I have. I was thinking about trying a smart carry and an ankle holster. Instead of always ordering online without trying it and having to wait for shipping, I was curious if any firearm shops carry holsters. Ankle holsters to be specific. I haven't been able to visit nearly as many shops as I would like.

Thanks,

Derek

I think Four Seasons carries Galco and Blue Northern carries one of the synthetics, Unkle Mikes I think. I'd call a couple of the larger shops like Kittery or Rileys.

yep, add Bass Pro and A&G Guns - unfortunatley, you will probably still end up ordering online.. [laugh]

Kittery actually had a pretty big selection of vendors. Worth a stop if you are driving by.

In any search, I would go the all the manufacturers online and figure out the holster part number compatible with your gun(s) before you go to the shop. The shops often do not have a cross reference chart available.

there is a police supply store in rockland ma, no real deals but had a good selection.

Also C&F guns in middleboro had a good selection......call first

I've never seen a gun store carry quality holsters. Most of the holsters they do carry are from Galco, Uncle Mikes, or similar companies, which are crap.

First Defense has some holsters.
They do. They also have a very nice woman who spent probably 30 min trying to help me find one, and a staff that's been very helpful to me on multiple occasions.
I've never seen a gun store carry quality holsters. Most of the holsters they do carry are from Galco, Uncle Mikes, or similar companies, which are crap.
Yeah...the Uncle Mike's stuff is pretty crappy, but the Galco stuff didn't look terrible. First Defense has got both of those as well as Don Hume (who some here think is crappy, but has gotten good reviews elsewhere).

Bought a Hume IWB from them last night. It's the same as the one I borrowed over the last weekend, except that one had a thumb break and this one doesn't. Holds the gun in place fine, and keeps it tucked enough that it doesn't print even in a t-shirt.

What kind of gun do you plan on carrying? With so much members here, might not be a bad idea to start a thread for any one of us to let you try some of ours out?

Everyone has different body type/builds and carry preferences.

I don't have a problem with you trying some of mine if you are near where I live.

I was in FS a couple weeks ago, and as gerrycaruso said, they carry plenty of holsters. I have no idea about the quality of them, though.

I plan on carrying a smith and wesson Mp9c on my ankle. I'll call some of those shops to see what they carry.

+1 on First Defense in Uxbridge. Shelly let me try on over a dozen holsters until I found the right one. They have a good selection & do a great job with customer service.

Yeah...the Uncle Mike's stuff is pretty crappy, but the Galco stuff didn't look terrible. First Defense has got both of those as well as Don Hume (who some here think is crappy, but has gotten good reviews elsewhere).
I've bought three Galco holsters over the years. All three were crap. The mouths of the holsters were not reinforced and easily collapse after the gun is drawn. And they weren't particularly cheap either. For 10-20% more, I got outstanding holsters from Rusty Sherrick.

I hate to say it, but "The Gun Room" had a box full of assorted and various oddball stuff. I found a decent range holster for a Ruger MkII there, as well as a police duty type one for another for range use.

I'm thinking about ordering the DeSantis Apache ankle holster. What do you guys think about that holster?

What firearm do you carry on your ankle? Any idea of weight comparison of it towards the mp9c?

I've bought three Galco holsters over the years. All three were crap. The mouths of the holsters were not reinforced and easily collapse after the gun is drawn. And they weren't particularly cheap either. For 10-20% more, I got outstanding holsters from Rusty Sherrick.
Wasn't thinking about that, but I'll definitely believe that - the ones I saw weren't even doubled up on the leather. I passed on one of them because it looked larger at the mouth than I thought it should be for the gun, and I'm glad I did.

After my thread in Equipment, I ended trying out the same Hume holster I'd ordered, and then picking up one last night. I'm happy with the Hume one I've got at the moment, but if we meet up at a shoot or someething at some point, I'd still take you up on the offer to check out the Sherrick you have for your Kahr.

Holsters must allow you to reholster one-handed, quickly and securely. Holsters that collapse often result in people using their support hand while reholstering, which is an unsafe practice.

Has any one tried the Desantis Die Hard rig? It looks a little more secure, and obviously a little more expensive, compared to the Apache.

As much of a zoo as it is. Generally, the springfield gun show has 1-2 vendors that have just about every holster you could want.
Depending on the timing, that could be worth looking at.

I have one of the desantis ankle holsters for a seecamp type. I was trying to sell it for $20, never used it. If you think it might fit, pm me and we can take it from there..

As said, First Defense in Uxbridge has one of the better selections that I have ever seen in a store. Being your in Marlboro and they are open from 5:00-8ish the timing should be about right for you.

Also, Kittery has even more, but alot of that is the uncle mikes stuff. Although my Uncle Mikes pocket holster works better then the Desantis one. I also prefer a small uncle mikes for IWB of my mouse gun.

The best holsters are not found in stores though. You have to do your research and spend a good amount of money for them. Before doing that find out which one works best for you. Everyone is different.

Back
Top Bottom