Any reason not to buy a house ~500M from a highschool in NH?

Planning on placing an offer soon and realized the house is relatively close to the local highschool, any gotchas that exist that would make my owning an arsenal a pain in the ass?

After using my google-fu for NH school zone laws. I dont beleive you should have any issues. School zones typically have stiffer penalties for already existing criminal offenses. Simply owning firearms does not appear to be an issue at all, regardless of the quantity.

Edit: And most school zones are 1000 feet so 500 meters should be out of most school zones regardless. I'd confirm what the distance is.

Last edited:
How close ?

As a former school bus driver I can tell you it doesn't take many teens to make your life miserable.

Even if they're just walking by your place when school gets out for the day can cause issues.

I wouldn't be worried about the legal implications. I would be seriously worried about the traffic and noise implications. Before you put in an offer, take a drive on a school day morning and hang out near the house during the morning rush.

I have an elementary school nearby and the soccer moms park on both sides of the road (illegally, signs are posted but not enforced) even on the corners of nearby streets . . . making it difficult to drive by during 1/2 hour before school begins and ends. Impossible for 2 cars to pass each other during this time and the brainless twits think nothing of swinging the SUV door open into traffic without looking.

I would NOT want to live that close to a high school for the above reason as well as trash thrown by students who are walking (does anyone do that anymore?) or waiting for a ride.

Looks like I'll be getting up early tomorrow or driving by around the end of the school day to check it out.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm hoping that being on a side street a little off the main road will mean traffic in the morning will be minimal by this house.

As a former school bus driver I can tell you it doesn't take many teens to make your life miserable.

Even if they're just walking by your place when school gets out for the day can cause issues.
I was going to mention this but Twiggman beat me to it.

I can just see our Ninsho doing a Clint Eastwood... Hey, do you have a Garand, Nick?

I live less than a 1/4 mile from an elementary school....traffic is my only complaint but I'm not close enough to have any other impact....noise etc...

I agree hang out there during the morning and afternoon rush and see how bad it is...

Double check both morning and afternoon for traffic and walking noise.
I'd also be curious if they have lighted athletic fields.... Friday Night Football can be a bit loud too, but then so can a lot of other sports events (think Saturday and Sunday soccer tournaments, etc...) if the school has a web site you can see if the weekends have lots of athletic events listed...

I was going to mention this but Twiggman beat me to it.

I can just see our Ninsho doing a Clint Eastwood... Hey, do you have a Garand, Nick?

A late selectman did exactly that . . . and before Clint Eastwood did it in the movies. A very long time ago, this person was upset enough about some elementary school kids (he lived exactly next door to the school) that he went out on his porch with a rifle and ordered the kids to leave. PD was called and explained to him that "this is not proper behavior" and that was the end of the incident. Today it would have gone a lot worse for him.

Friday Night Football can be a bit loud too, but then so can a lot of other sports events (think Saturday and Sunday soccer tournaments, etc...) if the school has a web site you can see if the weekends have lots of athletic events listed...

I live 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile from the Athletic fields at our schools and I can hear music and cheering pretty well from my back yard.
Not sure how tolerant of that stuff you would be?

Also, eminent domain keeps sticking in my mind, just because it is so close to town owned property.
What if they decide they need a new access road through your back yard?
I don't know how much of a concern that really is just something that came mind...

I did the morning drive bys... doesn't seem that busy, not too many teens walking etc, on the main drag the school is on, let alone the side street I'm interested in. I'll try to do another this afternoon when it gets out.

Can't wait to own my first weapon storage locker with attached living quarters. ;)

I did the morning drive bys... doesn't seem that busy, not too many teens walking etc, on the main drag the school is on, let alone the side street I'm interested in. I'll try to do another this afternoon when it gets out.

Can't wait to own my first weapon storage locker with attached living quarters. ;)

This is school vacation week in MA so there is no school traffic in MA . . . don't know about NH as they may have a different vacation schedule than MA.

This is school vacation week in MA so there is no school traffic in MA . . . don't know about NH as they may have a different vacation schedule than MA.

I checked online, next week is vacation week up here. There were definitely school busses, kids, droppoffs etc, just not as much as I remember. I grew up in a town where we had a highschool, middleschool, and elementary school practically on top of each other, and a lot more students in at least two of those schools than the local high school here has. I'm pretty confident that the potential negatives aren't enough to stop my placing an offer. I suppose I could regret it a long way down the line if the town grows a lot, but historically growth has been pretty slow.

Thanks again for all the advice guys, you all opened my eyes to issues I definitely hadn't thought about.

Lots of good info on this post. I've had a number of listings and sales close to schools and in some cases they were abutting. In fact I have one right now. If you're going to be a few houses away it shouldn't be much of an issue. If you're going to be directly across from a school or if you will be an abutter I can tell you that it will scare some buyers. Take that information with you to the negotiating table and keep it in mind for re-sale value.
Sports fields will generate 'noise' but it's generally not unpleasant noise. Drop off time will have the most impact on traffic. Pickup time is usually spread out and less of a rush. I can tell you that in general high school kids don't want to hang around after school so they usually get out the area fairly quickly. In some cases you'll have the school fields and playground to use which can be a nice plus.

I would do a Friday afternoon check to see how loud the kids are. I live less than a half mile from our football fields and kind of like the friday night games.

I figured all NH public schools had the same week off. Oyster River and Dover have this week off.

Back
Top Bottom