Any problems with "open carry" in NH?

Have any of you had any problems carrying a firearm open in New Hampshire? I'm reluctant to do it because I don't want to be surrounded by 10 cops drawing down on me...

Only do it while hunting. Carry concealed most times. There has been the occasional trouble here and there in more populated areas but for the most part it isn't an issue. You should get your carry license though. Very easy and quick to do

Sorry that I didn't mention it earlier, I'm a Massachusetts resident with LTC's in Mass & NH. Was just trying to get a feel for the attitude of the police up there...

I do it up there. Lots of stares from MA residents when you're closer to the border, but that's the only issue I've had.

It's your right. Do it. There's nothing illegal about it.

Sorry that I didn't mention it earlier, I'm a Massachusetts resident with LTC's in Mass & NH. Was just trying to get a feel for the attitude of the police up there...

I go shooting frequently on some backwoods land up in NH. I have to walk a half of a mile on a main road with rifles on our backs. Never once have we been stopped or even looked at funny. Cops dont seem too bad, pretty reasonable guys.

I was in a gun shop In central/northern NH looking for a good open carry holster and the guy that works there is a local cop and he said the public still gets un easy about it and sometimes call the cops. He encouraged me to carry concealed

There was a FORMER (and missed) member Doobie who used to walk around to exercize his right to do it, he had a couple of run ins with the cops, but after the second time they left him alone.

Dada Orwell ( the Ridley Report google it) has been known to do it.

To tell you the truth anyplace north of Manchester nobody would even blink an eye, the problemm is the i93 corridor up to Manchester and the towns there that are filled with Ma**h***s who moved here and have not accepted the fact they are now in EFFFN NEW HAMPSHIRE and we do it differently up here.

Would I walk around Salem NH OC'ing... probably not.

Would I walk around Pelham, I have been known to do it in my neighborhood and I have never had a problem.

It is a use discretion thing, there is wide open carry, and there is discrete open carry. I would not OC a big bright S&W Model 19, but I would OC a Glock 19 that blended into my clothing (dark shirt/pants, black holster)

I noticed two guys in the Indian restaurant on route 28 in Manchester last may who were open carrying. NBD.

Its not illegal, why hesitate?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I was in a gun shop In central/northern NH looking for a good open carry holster and the guy that works there is a local cop and he said the public still gets un easy about it and sometimes call the cops. He encouraged me to carry concealed

I suppose this is a case of the Chicken and the Egg. Some people are not going to used to seeing people open carry until more people start doing it and some gun owners are not going to open carry until people are more used to it. The only way to change this is to be one of the people that does open carry and being a good example while doing so. Being well dressed and clean shaved may also go someways toward not spooking people.

Two years ago I saw a guy at the Hopkinton Fair OCing an HK45. No one even gave him a second glance that I noticed.
The only reason I gave a second look was to see what he was carrying.

Personally, I don't care to OC except around the house and hunting.

I've OCd in Merrimack and Nashua, nobody batted an eye in Merrimack and some Ma**h***s stared at me while in a restaurant near the MA border. I might decide to OC in the future, usually just CC.

There was a FORMER (and missed) member Doobie who used to walk around to exercize his right to do it, he had a couple of run ins with the cops, but after the second time they left him alone.

Dada Orwell ( the Ridley Report google it) has been known to do it.

To tell you the truth anyplace north of Manchester nobody would even blink an eye, the problemm is the i93 corridor up to Manchester and the towns there that are filled with Ma**h***s who moved here and have not accepted the fact they are now in EFFFN NEW HAMPSHIRE and we do it differently up here.

Would I walk around Salem NH OC'ing... probably not.

Would I walk around Pelham, I have been known to do it in my neighborhood and I have never had a problem.

It is a use discretion thing, there is wide open carry, and there is discrete open carry. I would not OC a big bright S&W Model 19, but I would OC a Glock 19 that blended into my clothing (dark shirt/pants, black holster)

Doobie also walks around with a Claymore sword slung over his back, and doesn't do discretion.... saw him in the Market Basket on Fort Eddy Road in Concord last year... he kind of looks for attention... and his run ins were in Concord which has a lot of moonbats...

I look at it this way...it is your right...but think of why you are doing it....if it is to be antagonistic and create an issue who is that helping! just saying….Don’t be that Guy....Me I open carry but I am sensitive to people around me and the situation I'm in. I do not look for trouble.

I look at it this way...it is your right...but think of why you are doing it....if it is to be antagonistic and create an issue who is that helping! just saying….Don’t be that Guy....Me I open carry but I am sensitive to people around me and the situation I'm in. I do not look for trouble.

+1

I open carry frequently and it has never been an issue.
The first time, I was going to a match in MA, I had my leather on but the gun was locked up in the car. I stopped for breakfast and sat across from a couple of local officers (Hudson, NH). They noticed the empty holster and their only comment was that "it doesn't do me much good empty". I explained that I was going to a match out of state and they replied "that's OK, we've got your back".
The only other comments I've heard about the gun were from children, to their parents, "Mommy (Daddy), why does that man have a gun".
It is not a common occurrence in my part of the state, but people don't freak out.

So you let the malformed opinions of others, those who are neither friend nor blood determine your mode of carry? Do you ask them if you're allowed to have it loaded too?

So you let the malformed opinions of others, those who are neither friend nor blood determine your mode of carry? Do you ask them if you're allowed to have it loaded too?

You live MA dude...who determines your mode of carry?

You live MA dude...who determines your mode of carry?

The laws based on the malformed opinions of others. Not relevant in the slightest, nor could anyone using the slightest bit of intelligent thought could legitimately assume it was relevant to this discussion. In NH there isn't the issue of the suitability of the subject/serf/slave.

There is a provision for suitability in NH, but there are only a couple of departments that will be dickheads and invoke it

Stupid question, are you required "by law" to leave?

Yes. If a property owner asks someone to leave his property and that someone refuses it's called trespassing.

I conceal everywhere, including NH. Not because I can't open carry but because I don't necessarily want to advertise.

Back
Top Bottom