• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any love for the Bodyguard? Let's see some photos.

I thought i was the only one that breaks it down and plays with the dogs. I agree the only use for the laser is for pets when cleaning.. [rofl]

It takes a bit of finagling to pull the slide pin. A breeze to clean. The LCP 2 reminds me of a Walther - HK German type styling. An improvement imo. Maybe looks like the blackstrap is interchangeable.

Last edited:
The Bodyguard was my wife's carry pistol until I bought her a G43. She is slowly converting over. The Bodyguard is a gimmick. The Glock is a self defense gun.

No offense to anyone carrying a BG. It is a personal preference and experience thing. I'm just stating mine.

The Bodyguard was my wife's carry pistol until I bought her a G43. She is slowly converting over. The Bodyguard is a gimmick. The Glock is a self defense gun.

No offense to anyone carrying a BG. It is a personal preference and experience thing. I'm just stating mine.

First, let me say no offense taken at all by your statement, but I'm truly curious why you feel it's a "gimmick"? I don't really enjoy mine as a range gun, but for deep concealment, or as an ankle carry BUG, I've found nothing that is so concealable and light, at least from what's available in MA without paying a fortune, or playing games. I daily carry a LC9s Pro, but there are times when I need something smaller for certain circumstances, and the BG fills that void, so for that reason I will always keep it around.[wink]

First, let me say no offense taken at all by your statement, but I'm truly curious why you feel it's a "gimmick"? I don't really enjoy mine as a range gun, but for deep concealment, or as an ankle carry BUG, I've found nothing that is so concealable and light, at least from what's available in MA without paying a fortune, or playing games. I daily carry a LC9s Pro, but there are times when I need something smaller for certain circumstances, and the BG fills that void, so for that reason I will always keep it around.[wink]

I think he is talking about the built in laser, which in my opinion is why they started making them with the option to get one without. I wouldn't have bought it if it had the laser. I also don't understand why a lot of people complain about the trigger pull. I don't feel much difference between the BG trigger and the 642 other than its a bit longer. Its not gritty or springy like the shield. I don't think the Glock is more of a self defense gun than any other .380 and I don't have the time or money to go through the hassle of buying the thing in pieces and transfers and everything else,it's too wide anyways.

Show me a pistol in .380 acp that is as small at the bodyguard. The bodyguard without the laser model.

This pistol was designed for up close protection when you have no room for a larger handgun.

The trigger being double action only does not bother me. A pocket carry pistol with a heavy trigger pull is fine for my purpose.

New shooters, especially women will hate it.
Cool, because this group of shooters needs to spend some time learning how to handle a firearm.
A small pistol will be even harder for them to control or even hit their target with.

Shooting accurately with a pistol is not something you learn from a few simple classes.
It takes time and the will to learn to shoot better.

If all you want to do is buy a pistol and have it to defend yourself.
Without putting the time to practice and stay proficient with it.
Your shooting will reflect it. We have all seen this at our local clubs.
They take ten shots with their pistol. Their target looks like machine gun fire and they leave all happy a few hit the paper.

As long as the ammo you use for it does not have hard primers then you will not have issues with light hammer strikes.

I've had a new Glock 22 that would have light primer strikes with a particular brand of target ammo. Same brand in their self defense ammo did not have problems.

Smaller pocket sized pistols generally are more ammo sensitive.

This pistol holds 7 rounds fully loaded compared to say a S&W J frame at 5 rounds. It reloads easier and the magazine holds 1 more round.

The power of .380 acp and .38 special are about the same from such short barrels.

This is a pistol I carry due to t-shirt, cargo shorts and flip flops dress. Great little pocket pistol while riding my motorcycle.

I try to carry as large a pistol as my clothing allows. Larger pistols are more reliable and easier to shoot accurately with.

If I could only have two pistols it would be a Glock 26 and a Glock 19.
Both utterly reliable pistols with lots of parts available.

Last edited:
Pull the trigger it goes Bang! Its all personal preference. I find it easily concealed under all conditions. Is the trigger primitive yes, but I can speak from some experience that when the adrenaline is cranking I'm a fan boy of a heavy trigger pull. Do I carry other guns. Yup. Cold weather I get to carry a big ass 1911 or my Walter 99C with high cap mag. Opinions may vary.

My opinion is based on the integrated laser and the lack of reliability. The laser is useless in daylight, and practically useless in the dark. Actually it's worse than useless because the internal mounting screw backs off and prevents the gun from cycling (mine is an early model obviously). They made the gun so small and/or rushed it to market and it compromised reliability (again, at least in the early models). Mine went back to the factory twice--once because of the laser problem, and once because the takedown pin kept falling out when firing.

So I will modify my statement to say that the early BGs were no better than gimmicks. I don't have experience with the more recent models so I shouldn't have made a blanket statement like that.

Based on my shooting, I will be looking for a small, not subcompact 9mm pistol when funds allow. I seem to be able to shoot pistols a lot better than the snub, although when I put Buffalo Bore through it I was on target all 5 shots.

Hey, my post is what I have experienced with a few brands of ammo and me shooting it.

Another shooter may not have the same experiences firing one as I do.

The early models with the laser did have problems and probably some recent ones as well. I'm not a fan of lasers anyways.

I sold an early S&W M&P full size 9mm and swore I would never own another one.
Well,here I am with a recently produced one I let people new to shooting fire that has the Apex trigger installed and they love it!

The Bodyguard is not my first choice of any pistol. But due to the clothing I'm wearing at the time allows me to carry when others would not.

They make so many pistols and everyone has something that works better for them.

If anything I have learned over the years of teaching friends and family how to shoot.
Everyone has a different grip, trigger reach, trigger pull preference and they all shoot smaller handguns with much greater difficulty.

Recoil alone is so much a factor in new shooters. They put a pistol down after one shot and they are done with that one!

Right or wrong pistols for someone is like arguing 9mm vs 45 ACP.

Last edited:
I have heard many people say the body guard has crappy accuracy. Not True!

I showed this by my previous review done at 50 feet "HERE"

But as a pocket defense pistol 50' would not be what it's designed for,

so I went to the range at shot (2) targets at a distance of 12 feet (using lousy Tula ammo)

IMG_0240.jpg Bodyguard.EDC.jpg Picture #1 & 2 is my Bodyguard 380

target-1.jpg Target #1 is 12 rounds at 12 feet (note the BJ's card to show size of group)

target-2.jpg Target #2 is 30 rounds at 12 feet (5 magazines)

Now I did have a few "hard primers" with the Tula Ammo. People often associate that with light strikes.

However in my experience with the Bodyguard any failure to fire,

the rounds showed FULL indent on the primers.

Thus it's the cheap bulk target ammo; not a light strike!

I have NEVER had this issues with quality carry ammo in the bodyguard!

One HUGE reason I chose the bodyguard over other pocket 380's is second strike capability! Many 380 rounds just don't ignite as well as other calibers. Thus with second strike capability, you can pull the trigger again without having to cycle the slide (loading a new round in the chamber). I personally do NOT like striker fired 380 pistols for this reason.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
North, where did you get the pocket clip for the magazine?
I find it interesting that despite all the negative criticism of this pistol, two LGS's said it was a high volume seller.

Last edited:
I have heard many people say the body guard has crappy accuracy. Not True!

I showed this by my previous review done at 50 feet "HERE"

But as a pocket defense pistol 50' would not be what it's designed for,

so I went to the range at shot (2) targets at a distance of 12 feet (using lousy Tula ammo)

View attachment 180849View attachment 180850 Picture #1 & 2 is my Bodyguard 380

View attachment 180852 Target #1 is 12 rounds at 12 feet (note the BJ's card to show size of group)

View attachment 180853 Target #2 is 30 rounds at 12 feet (5 magazines)

Now I did have a few "hard primers" with the Tula Ammo. People often associate that with light strikes.

However in my experience with the Bodyguard any failure to fire,

the rounds showed FULL indent on the primers.

Thus it's the cheap bulk target ammo; not a light strike!

I have NEVER had this issues with quality carry ammo in the bodyguard!

Very respectable groups for the little BG! I see in the photos that you have the Galloway trigger. Did you install the whole shorter trigger pull kit springs and everything, or just the trigger itself? Just curious because I had contemplated it, but after reading some complaints about light strikes, I opted to leave mine stock since it's only a "special occasion" carry gun that sees occasional range practice.

Back
Top Bottom