Any Blackpowder Rifle Recommendations?

im not to big into black powder. used to get the kits out of Cabela years ago pitols/rifles they where inexpensive and fun. Stepping up i bought a CVA it was cheaper than any T/C at the time. over the few years we got into black powder CVA was always several steps behind T/C for just a few dollars more.
now you have CVA, Knight, T/C and lyman has a new 209 in the line up. I would try to find a black powder event at a local club and see whats out there. plus these are good places to pick up deals on last years cool models as theres always those selling off to buy the next bestest thing to have
Traditions is also a manufacturer. I'm a fan of TC though. Buddy of mine bought a brand new traditions last year........sights fell off. Break action got all loose. he hates it. Bought a TC impact for this deer season.

T/C Omega for me. Bought it off NES in the classifieds a few years back. Paid $200 for it, stainless barrel, camo design and had a Cabela's Powerhorn scope mounted already. Absolutely love it. I'm sure in a few weeks when hunting season is over they will show up for sale and you might catch a good deal on 1.

Traditions is also a manufacturer. I'm a fan of TC though. Buddy of mine bought a brand new traditions last year........sights fell off. Break action got all loose. he hates it. Bought a TC impact for this deer season.

If memory serves there is a traditions outlet in Old Saybrook CT and they sell "factory seconds" that have small hard to find cosmetic defects.

Bob

T/C Omega for me. Bought it off NES in the classifieds a few years back. Paid $200 for it, stainless barrel, camo design and had a Cabela's Powerhorn scope mounted already. Absolutely love it. I'm sure in a few weeks when hunting season is over they will show up for sale and you might catch a good deal on 1.

How do you find access to the primer? breech plug removal?

It has to do with the striker

it has an "at rest" position on the slide lever when it is in the rearward position. To fire the rifle you need to push the sliding lever forward which cocks the rifle then fire the rifle with the trigger. If you do not fire it by pulling the trigger you have to press the button on top of the sliding lever to "uncock" the rifle or simply open the breach with the lever and it automatically uncocks and the gun and opens the breach.

I've heard that TC considers this a "striker fired" gun......sounds more like an internal hammer to me.

I am a TC fan......but this "new design" does not sound much different than cocking the hammer on any other TC inline muzzie. Sounds like a bunch of hoopla over nothing.

I read the owners manual which states dry firing this model is a no no. Also I did look one over at Kittery about a month ago. Sliding that lever forward to "cock" the rifle is IMO tougher than cocking a hammer to the rear. It requires a lot of pressure with your thumb. Cocking a hammer is much more instinctive and easier to do. At the price they are asking for these.......so far I'm not inclined that this is much of an improvement over any of their previous great rifles....especially as they are in the $500 plus range.

I'm a big fan of keeping it very simple for hunting guns.
I've seen some nice expensive and fancy stuff fail miserably in the woods while my beat to hell Mossy 500 keeps on ticking.
The Omega has never let me down either (Knock wood), goes bang every time.

HarryM, I like the fact the breech drops away for clearance to load the primer. Unless you drop down the assembly everything stays dry and where it's suppose to be. Breech plug is a sticking point to a degree but a regular socket will remove it in no time and then you can clean it all by itself. Also allows easy cleaning of the barrel when plug is out of the way.

HarryM, I like the fact the breech drops away for clearance to load the primer. Unless you drop down the assembly everything stays dry and where it's suppose to be. Breech plug is a sticking point to a degree but a regular socket will remove it in no time and then you can clean it all by itself. Also allows easy cleaning of the barrel when plug is out of the way.
I always use a socket. the tool is just this side of useless.
Anti seize in the treads help.
I also found when I first got it I was going nuts tightening it which you don't need to.

I'm a big fan of keeping it very simple for hunting guns.
I've seen some nice expensive and fancy stuff fail miserably in the woods while my beat to hell Mossy 500 keeps on ticking.
The Omega has never let me down either (Knock wood), goes bang every time.
My go to gun for all hunting is a mossy 500 12 gauge. Mid 1990s manufacture. At this point it looks like it has been dragged behind a truck on a gravel road. But I've taken plenty of game with that gun. Ducks snowshoe hare cottontail pheasant deer squirrel and turkey. It's a swiss army knife of guns and it has never failed....not once. I even use it for trap regularly so it has plenty of shells through it. It's a workhorse

My go to gun for all hunting is a mossy 500 12 gauge. Mid 1990s manufacture. At this point it looks like it has been dragged behind a truck on a gravel road. But I've taken plenty of game with that gun. Ducks snowshoe hare cottontail pheasant deer squirrel and turkey. It's a swiss army knife of guns and it has never failed....not once. I even use it for trap regularly so it has plenty of shells through it. It's a workhorse

Mine too, I think the only part I have replaced on it in all those years was the ejector.
Checked the zero on it this afternoon . 2" high at 50 yards , done and done.
Set up the blind today as well.
Come on Monday.

I have a CVA Optima, 2011. Shoots fine, little heavy but not overall a bad gun....but 1 thing, and I hate it. It's a break action, which I like, however, the button to open the action is touchy. It also prevents me from carrying the rifle cradled in my arms, as I have carried rifles in the woods like this for over 45 years. The minute my arm(s) make contact with the pin, the action opens, a dozen times a day.

I have decided to get rid of it for this one reason. I will look very carefully at whatever I buy to make DAMN sure the action won't open unless I want it to and the rifle can be carried cradled in my arm(s).

I may need to avoid all break actions, we'll see.

Dibs, if you're just going to ditch it! I saw one at the club, with the Konus scope, and it seemed pretty nice to me, and the guy who had it LOVED IT. I don't think carrying it cradled broken open would be an issue for me. Let me know.

the TC impact has a "dog ear" latch on the top of the receiver. You have to pull back sharply on the latch with two fingers to open it up. It is a pretty good system.......no way its opening up by accident. in the picture you can see one side of the receiver.. use your pointer and f*** you finger on either side of the latch and pull back. That latch is also a collar that completely covers the primer and breach to keep the weather out. Its quite a nifty design

185819i_ts.jpg

That IS pretty nifty!

FWIW:

DSG has the TC Impact on sale thru tomorrow for $199.00. I don't know what the prices are like these days. I just happened to see the flyer this morning.

How does the TC Impact compare to the CVA Optima?

Another vote for Thompson Center. Been shooting them for years. T/C offers the Impact as part of a kit with some of the other tools you'll need if it's your first muzzle loader.

Thanks. Buddy has an Omega Dream Season. Love how the gun handles and feels. Sitting at camp with it I was uncertain what I thought of the breech plug set up. The Impact does seem to solve my issues with the latch on my Optima and seems to be well reviewed as well.

Dibs, if you're just going to ditch it! I saw one at the club, with the Konus scope, and it seemed pretty nice to me, and the guy who had it LOVED IT. I don't think carrying it cradled broken open would be an issue for me. Let me know.

That IS pretty nifty!

Well, I have 300 posts or so, so I'm not sure if I am crossing any lines here. I have a lot of thinking to do regarding the rifle but if I bail on it I would respect your first dibs if I sold it here. It does have the Konus 3X9X40 on it BTW.

Thanks. Buddy has an Omega Dream Season. Love how the gun handles and feels. Sitting at camp with it I was uncertain what I thought of the breech plug set up. The Impact does seem to solve my issues with the latch on my Optima and seems to be well reviewed as well.
The only somewhat negative remark I have ever heard on the TC impact is the small hammer spur. I've never had an issue cocking it even wearing gloves......but it is a small hammer.

Another vote for Thompson Center. I have a Pennsylvania Hunter. Fifty caliber, flintlock with the proper twist (1:66) for shooting .490 patched round balls. FFg black powder in the rifle. FFFFg black powder in the pan. Open sights. What manner of sorcery are these guns spoken of in this thread...o_O

No idea. Never shot the Optima.

The only somewhat negative remark I have ever heard on the TC impact is the small hammer spur. I've never had an issue cocking it even wearing gloves......but it is a small hammer.

Yes it is. Never a problem here either but with thick gloves I could see it being an issue.

I have had an issue with a sticky breech plug. I loosen it a turn or two and retighten after 3-5 shots. I have tried several BP lubricants and teflon tape. Standard silver automotive anti-seize seems to work the best for me with the 777 pellets I shoot. I am due for a new breech plug though.

Bob

Thanks All....I ended up buying the TC Triumph Bone Collector - w/ Nikon Scope in black.... from MuzzleLoaders.com ...it should be here on Wednesday! :)

It should serve you well.
See what bullet and charge they reccomend , but don't be afraid to experiment .
Mine seems to like the shockwaves with the superglide sabots best , but my friend's likes the Hornady ones .

Thanks, I just got it this evening! Looks great! I've bought the 250gr Hornadys....seems folks like 95-115grs of Blackhorn... We'll see...I love finding the accurate loads! I'll post what I find.

Thanks, I just got it this evening! Looks great! I've bought the 250gr Hornadys....seems folks like 95-115grs of Blackhorn... We'll see...I love finding the accurate loads! I'll post what I find.
Follow the blackhorn 209 directions.
Im running far less "weight" with blackhorn than with black powder. If the weather holds up im going to try and get some crony data with the lee REAL bullet and BH209
Short testing last year i found the upper level powdercharges where not very accurate. Plus the recoil was over kill.

Indeed...I "volume" measured the Blackhorn...then weighed it... about .7 about difference lighter in actual grains!

My TC Impact does very well with 3-50g pellets of 777 under the 250g Hornady Lock-N-Load SST Low Drag Sabot.

I really like the low drag sabot as it has a tail that inserts into the powder pellets so the field reload is basically one piece and it makes the reload process much faster.

Shhhhh don't tell the gun grabbers or they will take those too. Three evil features: .50 cal, muzzleloader, and a device that allows for faster reloads. I'll end up in prison for the rest of my life.

Bob

My TC Impact does very well with 3-50g pellets of 777 under the 250g Hornady Lock-N-Load SST Low Drag Sabot.

I really like the low drag sabot as it has a tail that inserts into the powder pellets so the field reload is basically one piece and it makes the reload process much faster.

Shhhhh don't tell the gun grabbers or they will take those too. Three evil features: .50 cal, muzzleloader, and a device that allows for faster reloads. I'll end up in prison for the rest of my life.

Bob
I've tested 3 pellets (150 grain) before in my TC impact. There was snow on the ground and I could see a ton of unburned powder on top of the snow after I fired. I deduced that I'm not getting enough if it ignited to make it worth the 3 pellets. Plus the accuracy went to hell with 3.....shot group went from 3 rounds touching to 5 inch group. I stick with 2 pellets.

I've tested 3 pellets (150 grain) before in my TC impact. There was snow on the ground and I could see a ton of unburned powder on top of the snow after I fired. I deduced that I'm not getting enough if it ignited to make it worth the 3 pellets. Plus the accuracy went to hell with 3.....shot group went from 3 rounds touching to 5 inch group. I stick with 2 pellets.

That was my initial experience as well. The problem was me and the recoil. Once it was broken in I put it in a lead sled and the accuracy is there; at least in mine. I'm not surprised about the unburned powder though. Recoil is a non-issue in the field.

Bob

That was my initial experience as well. The problem was me and the recoil. Once it was broken in I put it in a lead sled and the accuracy is there; at least in mine. I'm not surprised about the unburned powder though. Recoil is a non-issue in the field.

Bob
I always wondered if I switched to a heavier or lighter projectile if the accuracy would improve over a 3 pellet load. have not had time to fool around with it. 250 grain shockwave in a mag express sabot and 2 pellets is dead on accurate to 100 yards with the standard iron sights anyway. just curios if I could get the velocity up higher and stay as accurate if the projo were a different weight.

I always wondered if I switched to a heavier or lighter projectile if the accuracy would improve over a 3 pellet load. have not had time to fool around with it. 250 grain shockwave in a mag express sabot and 2 pellets is dead on accurate to 100 yards with the standard iron sights anyway. just curios if I could get the velocity up higher and stay as accurate if the projo were a different weight.

Probably, I topped mine with a 3x9 x40 and upped the charge because I wanted point blank to 200 yards.

The lead sled was indispensable cutting down on the felt recoil.

Bob

I shoot the shockwaves with 100gr of 777 .
It's dead on and pretty devastating on deer.
I might consider upping it if I were to go for moose with it, but otherwise it works for me.

Back
Top Bottom