Any Blackpowder Rifle Recommendations?

I shoot the shockwaves with 100gr of 777 .
It's dead on and pretty devastating on deer.
I might consider upping it if I were to go for moose with it, but otherwise it works for me.
Oh yeah my loads deadly on deer with 100 grains. I'm talking sheer curiosity

I have a CVA Optima, 2011. Shoots fine, little heavy but not overall a bad gun....but 1 thing, and I hate it. It's a break action, which I like, however, the button to open the action is touchy. It also prevents me from carrying the rifle cradled in my arms, as I have carried rifles in the woods like this for over 45 years. The minute my arm(s) make contact with the pin, the action opens, a dozen times a day.

I have decided to get rid of it for this one reason. I will look very carefully at whatever I buy to make DAMN sure the action won't open unless I want it to and the rifle can be carried cradled in my arm(s).

I may need to avoid all break actions, we'll see.

Just listed it in the classifieds.

I always wondered if I switched to a heavier or lighter projectile if the accuracy would improve over a 3 pellet load. have not had time to fool around with it. 250 grain shockwave in a mag express sabot and 2 pellets is dead on accurate to 100 yards with the standard iron sights anyway. just curios if I could get the velocity up higher and stay as accurate if the projo were a different weight.
I'm not a expert but out of the muzzle loading I have done lighter bullets seem to degrade with higher powder charges across the board from my days of the $89 kit rifles from cabela's to my CVA and now my Omega
So far my best accuracy is from either my 45cal 230gn LRN bullets in the black hornady sabot at 2 pyrodex pellets. (Soon to test some 185gn hollow points)
I,started shooting the Lee REAL bullets , 80 grains of Blackhorn 209. I use regular 209 primers (CCI and Fioche)
I was able to put 9 shots down range with the LEE bullets before it was getting hard to ram the projectile vs 2-3 with the sabot. All 9 shots I put into a sub 4" group at 100 yards shooting off the bench with just elbows for support.
More than accurate enough for the range I would ever take a shot at. I can't see deer in the wood much past 50 yards to make a good shot so good enough. Using a first gen Tasco Pro Point red dot.
Your not doing yourself any favors if you just drop pellets and jam projectiles.
I see the serious guys at the range shooting clover leaves consisitantly.

I'm not a expert but out of the muzzle loading I have done lighter bullets seem to degrade with higher powder charges across the board from my days of the $89 kit rifles from cabela's to my CVA and now my Omega
So far my best accuracy is from either my 45cal 230gn LRN bullets in the black hornady sabot at 2 pyrodex pellets. (Soon to test some 185gn hollow points)
I,started shooting the Lee REAL bullets , 80 grains of Blackhorn 209. I use regular 209 primers (CCI and Fioche)
I was able to put 9 shots down range with the LEE bullets before it was getting hard to ram the projectile vs 2-3 with the sabot. All 9 shots I put into a sub 4" group at 100 yards shooting off the bench with just elbows for support.
More than accurate enough for the range I would ever take a shot at. I can't see deer in the wood much past 50 yards to make a good shot so good enough. Using a first gen Tasco Pro Point red dot.
Your not doing yourself any favors if you just drop pellets and jam projectiles.
I see the serious guys at the range shooting clover leaves consisitantly.
All good information. I barely have enough time to hunt so muzzle loading for me is making sure its "lethal" at 50-75 yards which I have proven quite well with my 2 pellets and 250 grain shockwave mag express projectiles. Some day maybe I'll mess with it more and buy some regular powder, a measure, and some different projos and see what I can do but for now......my smoke poles only serve to ethically put a deer in my freezer.

Back
Top Bottom