• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any Blackpowder Rifle Recommendations?

MP-In-The-Wind

NES Member
I'm looking for a blackpowder rifle WITH scope for deer hunting in Massachusetts.
Does anyone have any recommendations on a rifle? Any recommendations for a place to buy it? BTW...I'm in metrowest.

TIA,

MP-In-The-Wind

I bought the Thompson .50 cal Bone Collector last year.
I bought my own scope but you can buy the combo with scope included.
Bore sighted it, took it to the range and was hitting dead on at 75/100 yds.
I plan to hunt with it this year. Very pleased with gun so far.
They have a rack of BP rifles at Cabela's. I was there today.

If you can find a T/C Omega , I highly recommend them.
Light , very accurate and the fiber optic sights are the nuts for us old guys who's eyes aren't what they used to be.

If you can find a T/C Omega , I highly recommend them.
Light , very accurate and the fiber optic sights are the nuts for us old guys who's eyes aren't what they used to be.

Their fiber optic sights are are nice and bright.

FWIW:
I always set up my "iron sights" first if the rifle has them. Once the sights are set up then I mount the scope and dial it in. Doing it this way always gives me a back up to the scope if it fails in the field or during a trip so the nt can continue.

Bob

I have the omega and really like it. I usually only get out 1 day during primitive and yet to get a shot off.
I run the 250 grain Lee R.E.A.L. bullets or the 50 cal hornady black wads with 45cal cast LRN
both are minute of deer out to 100 yards. I have my 250 grain reals zeroed to hit about 2-3" high at 100 yards.

I just picked up a cva wolf with the stainless barrel. Came with a soft case and a konus 3-9 x32 scope for 309.99. It appears to be a pretty good setup for the money, I'll find out Friday when I go to sight it in.

Very happy with both if my Thompson center impacts. I have one set up with a red dot for this hunting season. The other I left iron sights.

You'll see the theme already int he responses.....THOMPSON CENTER.

Very happy with both if my Thompson center impacts. I have one set up with a red dot for this hunting season. The other I left iron sights.

You'll see the theme already int he responses.....THOMPSON CENTER.
Their 199 @ dicks this weekend. T/C always has mail in rebates.

Their 199 @ dicks this weekend. T/C always has mail in rebates.
They are a great value. I paid $179 for each of mine on sale at the end of the season. The value for what you get is way above a sub $200 muzzle loader. The trigger is outstanding. The accuracy is terrific.....I get 3 rounds touching at 50 yards with the stock iron sights without too much effort.....2 pellets of 777 with a 250 grain Thompson center mag express sabot. The bore is "tight" and takes some effort to ram the sabot home but I'll take it for that accuracy.

I'm looking for a blackpowder rifle WITH scope for deer hunting in Massachusetts.
Does anyone have any recommendations on a rifle? Any recommendations for a place to buy it? BTW...I'm in metrowest.

TIA,

MP-In-The-Wind

I have a CVA Optima, 2011. Shoots fine, little heavy but not overall a bad gun....but 1 thing, and I hate it. It's a break action, which I like, however, the button to open the action is touchy. It also prevents me from carrying the rifle cradled in my arms, as I have carried rifles in the woods like this for over 45 years. The minute my arm(s) make contact with the pin, the action opens, a dozen times a day.

I have decided to get rid of it for this one reason. I will look very carefully at whatever I buy to make DAMN sure the action won't open unless I want it to and the rifle can be carried cradled in my arm(s).

I may need to avoid all break actions, we'll see.

I have a CVA Optima, 2011. Shoots fine, little heavy but not overall a bad gun....but 1 thing, and I hate it. It's a break action, which I like, however, the button to open the action is touchy. It also prevents me from carrying the rifle cradled in my arms, as I have carried rifles in the woods like this for over 45 years. The minute my arm(s) make contact with the pin, the action opens, a dozen times a day.

I have decided to get rid of it for this one reason. I will look very carefully at whatever I buy to make DAMN sure the action won't open unless I want it to and the rifle can be carried cradled in my arm(s).

I may need to avoid all break actions, we'll see.
the TC impact has a "dog ear" latch on the top of the receiver. You have to pull back sharply on the latch with two fingers to open it up. It is a pretty good system.......no way its opening up by accident. in the picture you can see one side of the receiver.. use your pointer and f*** you finger on either side of the latch and pull back. That latch is also a collar that completely covers the primer and breach to keep the weather out. Its quite a nifty design

185819i_ts.jpg

the TC impact has a "dog ear" latch on the top of the receiver. You have to pull back sharply on the latch with two fingers to open it up. It is a pretty good system.......no way its opening up by accident. in the picture you can see one side of the receiver.. use your pointer and f*** you finger on either side of the latch and pull back. That latch is also a collar that completely covers the primer and breach to keep the weather out. Its quite a nifty design

185819i_ts.jpg
ahh and a normal "nut" breach plug.

TC Omega with stainless barrel and thumb-hole stock. Love the gun. I made the mistake of buying the "Nikon Omega" scope for it. The field of view is terrible under 100 yards.

185819i_ts.jpg
Thanks for that tip!! One thing for certain is I will be very careful in the selection of my next ML.

Thanks all for the recommendations...it does seem that Thompson Centers are preferred... I did some checking, and I'm leaning toward the Bone Collector (in black).

Thanks all for the recommendations...it does seem that Thompson Centers are preferred... I did some checking, and I'm leaning toward the Bone Collector (in black).
im not to big into black powder. used to get the kits out of Cabela years ago pitols/rifles they where inexpensive and fun. Stepping up i bought a CVA it was cheaper than any T/C at the time. over the few years we got into black powder CVA was always several steps behind T/C for just a few dollars more.
now you have CVA, Knight, T/C and lyman has a new 209 in the line up. I would try to find a black powder event at a local club and see whats out there. plus these are good places to pick up deals on last years cool models as theres always those selling off to buy the next bestest thing to have

I recently went from an old school Hawkin style that I used for 30 years to a new in-line, synthetic stock gun. It's a TC Impact and I absolutely love it. I run Blackhorn 209 powder and .451, 250 grain Spitfire bullets and of course 209 shotgun primers.
Great little gun with decent sights and a surprisingly good trigger.

FWIW:

DSG has the TC Impact on sale thru tomorrow for $199.00. I don't know what the prices are like these days. I just happened to see the flyer this morning.

Bob

I had to go looking around.
The TC striker in wood finish looks really nice. Not so sure what that button on top does but looks to be in the way?

I had to go looking around.
The TC striker in wood finish looks really nice. Not so sure what that button on top does but looks to be in the way?
It has to do with the striker

it has an "at rest" position on the slide lever when it is in the rearward position. To fire the rifle you need to push the sliding lever forward which cocks the rifle then fire the rifle with the trigger. If you do not fire it by pulling the trigger you have to press the button on top of the sliding lever to "uncock" the rifle or simply open the breach with the lever and it automatically uncocks and the gun and opens the breach.

I've heard that TC considers this a "striker fired" gun......sounds more like an internal hammer to me.

I am a TC fan......but this "new design" does not sound much different than cocking the hammer on any other TC inline muzzie. Sounds like a bunch of hoopla over nothing.

I read the owners manual which states dry firing this model is a no no. Also I did look one over at Kittery about a month ago. Sliding that lever forward to "cock" the rifle is IMO tougher than cocking a hammer to the rear. It requires a lot of pressure with your thumb. Cocking a hammer is much more instinctive and easier to do. At the price they are asking for these.......so far I'm not inclined that this is much of an improvement over any of their previous great rifles....especially as they are in the $500 plus range.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom