• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another "What Gun Should I Buy? Thread... With a Twist

The twist: I want to buy my 9-year-old his first handgun for Christmas. Got his first .22 rifle at 7 years old and is a good shot, and is as responsible as a kid can be. He is a better shot with airsoft pistols than his 20 year-old brother (so says the 20 year-old.) He's asking for a handgun.

So.... Ok for a kid to have a handgun?

If yes, then which one?

Quality air pistol. You can go more target or modern pistol replica. Same skills, sort of same experience, close enough for a kid.

If he's responsible, why not a Ruger Mark IV? Let him have a new platform with a familiar caliber. Perfect intro.

If not responsible, a Blue Gun until he can abide by the Four Rules.

He knows the Rules.

He can clear every firearm we own. He knows that if it isn't cleared, it's loaded. He knows to leave, walk out, if he encounters a gun without me .... ie his friends' parents guns.

He knows the Rules.

He can clear every firearm we own. He knows that if it isn't cleared, it's loaded. He knows to leave, walk out, if he encounters a gun without me .... ie his friends' parents guns.
even cleared its loaded....always loaded.
my dad said even if your dink is stuck in the chamber , its loaded;)

I say get him an assortment of different air pistols that are close to heft and feel. Gives more chances for "range" time.Plus gives him feel of what he might like

Air pistol.

He’s more than likely more responsible now than he will be in a few years. Kids turn in to idiots around 12/13 years old. I know, everyone is different, yadda yadda.
You can shoot an air pistol(or rifle) in your back yard, cheaper all around. Generally more fun with some soder cans. Way less involved in BB/pellet guns, just as much fun.

Also, the girl with the .380 is not a compelling case, especially without eye pro!

Last edited:
question should be "is it ok for my kid to have a handgun?"
sounds like a question only you can answer. he may have the best gun handling skills on the planet but he's still a kid. even a mature for their age kid still slips back to being a dumb ass kid. I have a scenario in my head of him being with a friend one day and the "look what my dad got me" rears it's head. not judging, just sayin'.

There are a lot of kids from 6 to 10 getting involved in 22 rimfire competition steel shoots. If he is ready and interested one of the Ruger Mk series pistols is one of the best to start on. If he is less inclined in the competition department then a Ruger Single Six is a solid and accurate pistol that he will treasure the rest of his life.

Lar grizzly ?

I'd say get him a Beretta 92 or a 226 or a Ruger p series. Some big honkin hunk of metal that shoots a 9 but mitigates any snap. Also has da

Hey All:

Just want to say thanks to all who replied thus far, every one a thoughtful reponse.

Particular thoughts about some of the responses: .... GreenCobra...."my kid?"... so right Sir, to to look at it that way. Rest assured, he doesn't have free access to any firearms ever. His rifles are his in spirit, but they are locked up in my safes unless we're together.... Same will hold true for any handgun. "Look what my Dad got me" is not an option. He does however, have his own knives. For better or worse, that horse is out of the barn. But we live in the country now and he views them as tools.

Strawdog.... Yes he is competitively inclined. Best marksman at Cub Scout camp this summer. I will look into your suggestion further.

Jack.... an honor to have you post in my thread. Yes, he's a smart, serious kid, grown up so far, around guns, and is proud of his knowledge base. His sister, now 6, is looking forward to a pink camo M&P .22 when she turns 7.

I'm going back to like all of your posts.... appreciate your input all.

Not all 9-year olds are the same. Yours sounds mature for his age. You are the deciding factor in what and when he shoots.
If he is careful and responsible with an air-soft or BB gun what would dramatically change when handed a smokeless-based firearm?

If you have taught him well, who am I to say otherwise? That said...

I would start him with a target .22.

I would say Ruger 22/45 or 22/45 lite if you can find one. I think it would be a good fit, plus you can buy him upgrades for the next 15 holidays if you want. Not that it needs upgrading, but they would be fun projects to do with him and they get you very familiar with how the gun operates.

I had a 4” 617 and I would not recommend it for a 9yo kid. It is a pretty heavy gun (40 oz?) to hold up for 10 shots. The trigger also might not work well for a kid.

Last edited:
The twist: I want to buy my 9-year-old his first handgun for Christmas. .... and is as responsible as a kid can be. ....
I had to make the same decision. I gave the kid a choice between a firearm with restricted access & full supervision or an airgun/airsoft with fewer restrictions. He chose the airsoft.
He lost access to the gun for a week or so, several times, for being unable to decide what sorts of things did or did not need dents or holes.
A kid in his late teens who has proven himself responsible in important matters would be a good candidate.
Formal firearms safety training and/or hunter safety training should happen first.
If yes, then which one?
I would offer a choice between a Ruger Single-Six or a 22/45.

Jack

This past Saturday I shot at CAPS in Brunswick. Paul was shooting there, along with his son Bryson who is NINE years old. Bryson was shooting a Ruger Mark III and a S&W 15-22. It's a family thing, Dad's learning and Bryson is being coached by his uncle Rick who's classified as an "Expert" in something like five divisions.

A couple of weekends ago I shot the Sua Sponte match in Effingham. Paul, Rick and Bryson were there too. So were two other kids about Bryson's age. One of them, Max, is being coached to be a competitive shooter, he's seriously good already. He shoots a 9mm, I'm not sure what model. I"ve seen him shoot a couple of matches before.

And then there's my 13 year old grandson. I've taken him to the range, but he's not really interested and he only uses my .22's, and only under the strictest supervision. He's into video games - and consequently he really likes my red-dot ar-22...

It's really a very individual judgement.

I would however go with a fairly lightweight semi-auto, and not as someone suggested the 617. I have a 617 and it's an absolutely awesome revolver. But it's heavy, it's full-sized, and not something for a child-sized hand. I'd go with a Ruger Mark III, Mark IV or my favorite the Browning Buckmark...

I took the same course of action with my son. He was given a firearm and it was his to use but it was always locked up so he needed an adult to be with him to handle or shoot his guns. The first was the Davey Cricket at 5 yrs. Next was the 10/22 with reduced stock at 7 years. Then a Bearcat at 9 years. And at 14 he was given a Model 77 in 7.62x39.
The Bearcat was a good choice for him. It fit his hands well and the process of loading and unloading through the loading gate kept him from rushing through his ammo and gave him an appreciation for the classic firearms.
If you are leaning towards an auto, I also have a Walther p22 which is an easy shooting gun for smaller hands.

I took the same course of action with my son. He was given a firearm and it was his to use but it was always locked up so he needed an adult to be with him to handle or shoot his guns. The first was the Davey Cricket at 5 yrs. Next was the 10/22 with reduced stock at 7 years. Then a Bearcat at 9 years. And at 14 he was given a Model 77 in 7.62x39.
The Bearcat was a good choice for him. It fit his hands well and the process of loading and unloading through the loading gate kept him from rushing through his ammo and gave him an appreciation for the classic firearms.
If you are leaning towards an auto, I also have a Walther p22 which is an easy shooting gun for smaller hands.

Now normally I'll refrain from chastising. But a p22 unless you want to teach your kid how to chase wayward springs. Lol not much else I found those usefel for

Now normally I'll refrain from chastising. But a p22 unless you want to teach your kid how to chase wayward springs. Lol not much else I found those usefel for
I've never had a problem with mine. Granted it doesn't get a lot of range time. I bought it on the cheap from a co-worker who was getting divorced so I didn't have a real purpose for it.

I'd go with a Ruger Mark III, Mark IV or my favorite the Browning Buckmark...

This. Great pistols for teaching a young responsible kid. I mean, they are great pistols for anyone too. I can't think of anything much better for starting out and learning safe handling, fundamentals, and marksmanship. And they are fun to shoot and can keep him interested. And it's something he can enjoy for...well...ever. It's not just a starter pistol.

Back
Top Bottom