• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another poll. This one to change the 2nd amendment

It should read: "Because the People are serfs and the government and its agents are the only individuals allowed to use deadly force, the power of the Federal and state governments over the People shall not be infringed." That's what I think they were looking for.

Last edited:
Poll still open. Go vote No.

Reject 95.82% (4,198 votes)

Approve 4.18% (183 votes)

Total Votes: 4,381

Voted. At times, I wish the Founding Fathers had written more directly and concisely. Compare US and Maine constitutions.

US Constitution
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Maine: http://www.maine.gov/legis/const/
Article 1 Declaration of Rights, Section 16. To keep and bear arms.
"Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned." That's it. Done.

My understanding is that they are two separate clauses, one more or less giving the states/government the power to maintain a standing army, and the other stating that the ability of people to bear arms shall not be infringed.

Conflating the two clauses as having any bearing on each other is very common misreading, and one that the anti crowd seems to like to spout.

Voted [smile]

Who gives a shit? It's an internet poll for Christ's sake.

99% of the people voting "yes" have absolutely no idea how amendments are changed.

My understanding is that they are two separate clauses, one more or less giving the states/government the power to maintain a standing army, and the other stating that the ability of people to bear arms shall not be infringed.

Conflating the two clauses as having any bearing on each other is very common misreading, and one that the anti crowd seems to like to spout.

Voted [smile]

Your understanding is wrong.

The Second Amendment has nothing to do with a standing army in any way.

Back
Top Bottom