• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another Linsky special: H.2486 all approved safety courses include live-fire training MA

It's a lie of omission. Yes, technically one could own and carry a gun without ever having fired one, but in reality the process is much more involved than the statement makes it seem. For example, it leaves out the parts that one must be deemed suitable and be licensed.
If it would be a priority task then the Switzerland or Israel model for a compulsory draft is the solution. It provides country with a functional militia capable to act when needed.
For obvious enough reasons it is not going to happen here, ever.

But to think about it, a local municipal militia under the local sheriff command would be a best source for training civilians on weapons safety and shooting skills.
And the implications of having functional local militia forces would be too obvious for liberal Marxists to never allow it.

Just recently did the CCW here in SC and was surprised there was a live fire requirement, though it was the only part of the required course I enjoyed. There was a mature woman in class who struggled mightily with it but I think she passed anyway. Yes, it seems wrong to require this to exercise a right. The plus side is they have waived the fee for licenses here so they are free of charge now.

Boy Am I gonna start a shit show with this one….

First things first - f*** Linsky!!! Now, f*** this ridiculous state that says you can take a 4 hour crash course and walk around packing heat. If MA gave a shit about gun safety they would never allow this.

My personal opinion is to do a LTC course that provides a live fire if you have never fired a gun before. I’m not trying to be anti 2A or shitting all over freedom but I think that would be a good idea for somebody who’s never shot before. My dad didn’t teach me to shoot, the Marines did, and spending one week snapping-in at 55 gallon drum with little dog targets all over it in the blazing hot sun f***ing sucked! 😂😂

And I’ll close with f*** Linsky and everything he rights down on paper!

Response to Kevin9--in NM if you qualify with a 9mm semi, that goes on your LTC. That's all you can carry. Want to carry a revolver? New qualifying required and you pay the state for the honor. Want to carry a .40? Same thing. But if you qualify with a 45 revo and semi, you can carry any damn thing you want. No test, no fees, you're good to go.
That was my philosophy. I considered it an extra service option for my students so they wouldn't have to ever deal with the states BS in the future.

m-n-x--I had the same experience with an older woman. She couldn't pass the live fire, but with extra time to warm up, get some coaching from my wife (also and approved instructor) and get a feel for it, I let her take it again and she passed.
A requirement for instructors was to keep the qualifying targets for possible future audit. That's the one I kept.

Last edited:
If a person believes any following they are anti 2A:

a course is required to get a license

training is required to get a license

the fact that you need A license to purchase firearms, ammunition, ammunition components or anything related to firearms.

government regulations, permissions, bans of any kind and all gun control laws ever created.

individual state and municipal restriction, laws, regulations and bans

restrictions on where or when one can carry

against concealed or open carry.

current bump stock or other accessory bans

current automatic weapon restrictions and licensing requirements

all forms of firearm registration or documentation

serial numbers for tracking

red flag laws

safe storage snd transportation laws

Evil feature regulations

magazine restrictions

approved firearms rosters

I’m sure there is more.
Agreed. Now let’s take MA and licensing out of the picture and insert everything you just listed.

A person who has never held or fired a gun before walks into a gun shop and purchases a gun and some ammo for it. What should they do next? If you say load it and throw it into a holster and walk way then more power to ya. I say they should seek out some sort of training before they start carrying, I think that’s a fairly smart thing to do if you have never shot before.

And, while you are at it, how many screws we need to screw before we can purchase a screwdriver?
You are a romantic hothead. "Packing heat", LOL [slap]

It is your right, dummy! Don't let it go away!
I knew the mindless NES mob would come out with there pitch forks but not a smart guy like you😂. The post had nothing to do with rights. If you have never fired a weapon before and you want to and want to purchase a gun, you should probably get some training so you don’t shoot yourself or anyone else.👍🏻

I think the person should do whatever they are comfortable with doing.

I think a lot of people would seek out someone more experienced with firearms to get a good base knowledge.

But that should be their choice to seek training and not a law or a requirement.
Yes! Agreed 100%. That’s exactly what I mean. I had to use LTC requirements in my post cause it’s a MA issue.👍🏻

Meh. We have driver’s ed in this state and 95% can’t drive worth a rusty bleep.
Yet, if I’m at the range, it seems that the vast majority are pretty damned safe and competent. Sounds like another nit whit opining on firearms without knowing which end the round comes out of.

First things first - f*** Linsky!!! Now, f*** this ridiculous state that says you can take a 4 hour crash course and walk around packing heat. If MA gave a shit about gun safety they would never allow this.

My personal opinion is to do a LTC course that provides a live fire if you have never fired a gun before. I’m not trying to be anti 2A or shitting all over freedom but I think that would be a good idea for somebody who’s never shot before. My dad didn’t teach me to shoot, the Marines did, and spending one week snapping-in at 55 gallon drum with little dog targets all over it in the blazing hot sun f***ing sucked! 😂😂

Training is excellent advice that nobody should have to get by law.

End of story.

U wanna be standing next to the guy at the range who just bought his first gun and has never even held one before?
I gave my youngest nieces and nephew a 90-second Eddie Eagle lecture
a couple of years ago. One of my points was that the reason why
you never touch a playground gun is that there are easily over half a dozen
different families of gun actions, and they have no hope of figuring out
how to make a random gun safe or unload it without risking an ND.

At our two Mass NRA HFS courses, The Bride and I dry fired a lot of real handguns
and ran snap caps through them. But I bet we didn't fondle every kind
of action or safety; I certainly can't even list which ones we tried.

It's a lead pipe cinch that hundreds of NESers have stood next to The Guy At The Range
who just bought his first gun and has never even operated one with that action before -
even if he had live fire training.
A Guy who is a total stranger; the guest of someone else; a Guy that NESer isn't supervising.

Consider also the Olde NES Wisdome that newbs should
go to a commercial range and try renting a wide variety of guns
before buying their first gun.

I'll bet that most of the operating operators here
would tell those newbs to fire more rounds taste-testing each gun
than any licensing live-fire class burns up (on 1-maybe-2 types of guns).

So what actual problem is this Moon Island Fantasy Camp actually going to solve?

It's how it goes in RI and CT, correct? In RI, you have to qualify with the 'biggest caliber' at the range for the range test and your second amendment permission card lets you have whatever guns beneath that caliber number. Lol. Go qualify with a soft shooting full sized .45ACP and then go out and buy a .44 mag yeah ok. In CT the NRA basic pistol required class usually the instructors let you plink a couple shots with a 22LR Mark II. Bam, you're officially "live fired certified" and ready to own and operate any gun.

More bureaucratic bullshit.

as @GL2020 correctly stated, in RI you only need to qualify for a carry license, not to purchase or possess.

NRA Basic Pistol is also accepted for licensing in MA and requires you complete the Level I Target proficiency which is 5 shots at 10 feet in the 4” target, unlimited tries. You can pretty much throw the bullets by hand and qualify at that range. It can be any caliber, any sights.

I can't speak to CT, but it's a little different in RI. In RI anyone with a pulse over 18 who is not disqualified under federal law can get a long gun(no FID, no tests, nothing) as long as the barrel is over 16inches. The blue card is simply to purchase a hand gun...it's not a license of any kind. It's a free test and it's really basic...a boy scout with an passing familarity of a bolt action .22 will likely pass. Takes 3-4 weeks to get the "blue card" from DEM. Unlike MA you don't need any special license to purchase/own other than a blue card to buy a hand gun. Pay...wait 7 days. Local PD has to make sure you're not disqualified...but they have very few options to deny you from just owning one. What they can do is make it miserable to carry.

The qualification (190 on an L target at 25 yards I think) is if you want to carry in public (which hopefully SCOTUS will deal with soon). The little known beauty in RI is you don't have to apply in the town you live in. So if you know in EastOverShoe is a green town you go there.

I believe 180 is the passing score.

Wasn't live fire required at one time?...Then it stopped being a requirement?...Now it is a requirement again?

I am confused.
I did it in 81. Shot a 199 out of 200. 10 .38’s and 10 .22’s. 50’ full-size man silo.
Held the high score for years. Sadly I knew the guy who beat me and is no longer with us.

Well, you seemed to mention that you thought it was ridiculous to think the state requirement of a 4 hour class could qualify someone to be allowed to walk around packing heat.

to me that read as if you think there should be a more stringent state requirement to obtain an LTC.

If I misinterpreted your statement I apologize.
There should be no requirement whatsoever. The irony with MA is they make you do a class to get a LTC and expect everyone to be proficient and safe with firearms because they paid a $100 and sat through the NRA’s talking points for 4 hours, It’s a joke. Because this state has a unconstitutional licensing scheme they would be better off just making the requirement to spend an hour with a competent instructor with 50 rounds and learn how to load, unload, clear a malfunction and operate the firearm properly. But, it is about personal responsibility and I think the responsible thing to do for someone who’s never fired a gun before to seek out an instructor who can teach them how to do it.

No, just no.

It turns out that, if you haven’t been diagnosed with a mental illness, and if you’re not a felon or a drug abuser, you can buy a gun in Massachusetts and carry it around with you, concealed on your person, without having fired that gun or any other gun. Ever.

This is a lie
absolutely incorrect.

NRA Home Firearms Safety and Mass Hunter Ed are both qualifiers for LTC issuance. Neither has a live fire component.

not sure about the club(s) you belong to.

My club offers a safety orientation for all new members and if there were no more LTC or training requirement to own a firearm I am sure most clubs would adapt their new member orientation to include some hands on firearm safety instruction or at least a member demonstration of firearm safety.

But that would be up to the club and its membership to determine what level of familiarity they want their new members to commit to before allowing them to use the ranges.

I joined Holbrook a thousand years ago. Was only there for a year or two. They required new members at that time to take their NRA safety course before you were allowed to use their ranges.

I think clubs could police this with zero help, requirements or laws from the state.
I belong to several clubs in and out of MA. I say ditch the NRA class and do a hands on instruction. Most clubs have more than enough competent ppl whether they are credentialed or not.

No. I don't agree mandatory training including live fire should be a requirement. I'm just saying that in more than NO cases, the requirement did what it was actually intended to. Nothing more. nothing less.
MA does not require it, neither does a Utah non-res, but a FL non-res does. Not a lot of difference in the classes except the live fire for FL. They can combine it into one class by just adding a few rounds of 22lr at the end.

absolutely incorrect.

NRA Home Firearms Safety and Mass Hunter Ed are both qualifiers for LTC issuance. Neither has a live fire component.
People are not reading the entire quote. It says ANYONE who qualifies can get a gun and CARRY it in MA and that is 100% not true.
Ask the fellow members with restricted licenses
Everyone that is licensed in MA knows live fire is not a requirement
The quote is not true because not everyone can carry and MA has may issue/suitability.
It is not class--)not a felon--)carry

I would expect this to be an easy pass for the aholes in MA. Sucks but it's probably going to pass.

Back
Top Bottom