An Update on GOAL, The Foundation, and TOM

Thanks Al.

If anybody wants to post the OP at their club, feel free to attribute it to me. Use my real name too: Jim Finnerty.

Even though a lot of you know me, I don't want to be accused of hiding behind a screen name.

Last edited:
During this time, the editorials in The Outdoor Message became increasingly hostile towards GOAL. When GOAL asked for editorial control over their investment, they were refused; so the BoD voted to end GOAL’s relationship with The Outdoor Message. Coincidentally, shortly after the GOAL BoD voted to end the relationship with TOM, The Foundation raised the rent charged to GOAL for the Pierce Street building from $950 per month to over $2600 per month – retroactive to January 2012. At this point it became clear that GOAL’s interests and those of The Foundation /Outdoor Message had diverged enough so that a clean break would benefit all parties involved.

I didn't know that until now. Wow....just wow.[angry]

GOAL started up training classes at the new facility in May, which have since has raised over $17K in revenue! This projects to an annual contribution of $68K, which is surprising because The Foundation reported an average of ‘only’ $42K over the last two years.

Here’s a before and after look at the money:

Before the Split
Paid to the newspaper = $85K
Revenue from classes = $0

After the Split
Paid to the newspaper = $0
Revenue from classes = $68K

The Bottom Line
Additional funds now available to GOAL = $153K

Awesome[cheers]

I really appreciate the time and effort from everyone involved getting GOAL closer to its goals. Fighting the good fight for all of us.

Thank you!

For years, GOAL attempted to recruit new members by telling them that they would be saving money for their club since GOAL would be paying for the subscription to TOM. When GOAL jettisoned TOM, they must have realized that this would cost their affiliated clubs money. Did they even bother to communicate this to their affiliates? No. Did they continue to send out their yearly request for money from the clubs? Yes. So while the little GOAL birdie has finally left the nest, its pedigree is hard to mistake. For my part, I have adopted a wait-and-see attitude. I, like Rob B, still remember when "GOAL" was looking for a building they could call their own... Who knew that we were buying an office building for Mike? Before I squander any more money, I'll want to be damn sure who exactly is cashing the check... Larry, AG1C

For years, GOAL attempted to recruit new members by telling them that they would be saving money for their club since GOAL would be paying for the subscription to TOM. When GOAL jettisoned TOM, they must have realized that this would cost their affiliated clubs money. Did they even bother to communicate this to their affiliates? No. Did they continue to send out their yearly request for money from the clubs? Yes. So while the little GOAL birdie has finally left the nest, its pedigree is hard to mistake. For my part, I have adopted a wait-and-see attitude. I, like Rob B, still remember when "GOAL" was looking for a building they could call their own... Who knew that we were buying an office building for Mike? Before I squander any more money, I'll want to be damn sure who exactly is cashing the check... Larry, AG1C

Hey Larry, welcome to the Forum. That's a heck of a first post!

I don't blame you for taking a 'wait-and-see' approach. The same thing happened to my Club (Shirley). I too wish that GOAL could've found a way to communicate with the affiliated clubs before announcing the split with TOM and The Foundation. At Shirley, we ultimately decided to withdraw from TOM altogether due to cost, and now distribute our news and minutes with an email service that costs us about $4 per month (instead of $200/month with TOM).

We (GOAL) are currently in the process of updating our Club Affiliation program. Please stay tuned. Our intent is to add benefits that will more than offset any lost value.

Thanks Al.

If anybody wants to post the OP at their club, feel free to attribute it to me. Use my real name too: Jim Finnerty.

Even though a lot of you know me, I don't want to be accused of hiding behind a screen name.

Just printed two out, will post them at my club's.

Great write up Jim, Thanks........

When I first got involved with NES it seemed to me that there was too much drama around GOAL to support it. After reading this thread I joined up. Looks to me like things are headed in the right direction. Nice job.

THANK YOU for this GREAT post... I'm here to say that (for me at least), this post has had the positive impact you were looking for. After many years sitting on the sidelines I have again joined GOAL.

I have also signed up for 3 classes in the next 2 months, and am looking forward to checking out your new offices.

PS: Just got my GOAL membership card in todays mail...

Jim:

I just renewed my membership to GOAL because I believe in what they do. (They don't affect me personally in any way).

Thanks for your advocacy and work in this difficult time.

-Bill

Wouldn’t it have been better to use the money spent on moving and rent to further our cause instead of ‘giving’ it to strangers?

For what its worth. My father and mother are these strangers spoken about. While we technically are strangers, I am a member of GOAL and obviously NES. I work above the new GOAL office. We bought the building in OCT 11. Moved our construction company from Shrewsbury to Northborough. My parents being 20 yrs + northborough residents. We couldnt ask for better tenant.

I drive the white, lettered, GMC 2500. If anyone is ever here for a class and sees me. come say Hi. I'd love to meet more of you fron NES

The people at GOAL should petition my father to let them open and indoor pistol range in the basement. [cheers]

Last edited:
For what its worth. My father and mother are these strangers spoken about. While we technically are strangers, I am a member of GOAL and obviously NES. I work above the new GOAL office. We bought the building in OCT 11. Moved our construction company from Shrewsbury to Northborough. My parents being 20 yrs + northborough residents. We couldnt ask for better tenant.

I drive the white, lettered, GMC 2500. If anyone is ever here for a class and sees me. come say Hi. I'd love to meet more of you fron NES

The people at GOAL should petition my father to let them open and indoor pistol range in the basement. [cheers]
When you pulled up around lunch today, I was the guy out front in the yellow shirt.

I have heard from a pretty trustworthy source that The Outdoor Message is going out of business. Can anyone confirm?

It's true.

Then, this might be a good time for GOAL to extend an offer to all of the clubs that published their "newsletters" in the Message to get them into the GOAL paper. GOAL would pick up advertising revenue that could be used to fight the good fight, and those clubs could actually be supporting 2A by buying space, without (I believe) endangering their non-profit status.

Unless GOAL doesn't want the business, it sounds like a win-win to me.

Then, this might be a good time for GOAL to extend an offer to all of the clubs that published their "newsletters" in the Message to get them into the GOAL paper. GOAL would pick up advertising revenue that could be used to fight the good fight, and those clubs could actually be supporting 2A by buying space, without (I believe) endangering their non-profit status.

Unless GOAL doesn't want the business, it sounds like a win-win to me.

check the OP, the part about how much GOAL was spending keeping ToM afloat then ask yourself if you'd copy that business model.

Jim. Great information and kudos to getting it turned around. Ive been on the sidelines and feel money spent at Comm 2a has more teeth. But i applaud the goal does and am glad it is back in good hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Help me decide to join GOAL.

Name one thing GOAL has accomplished this past year in Mass that makes it easier to obtain an LTC, expands the Roster, ends the harassment of Mail Order Dealers who will not ship me Ammo, etc.

Now I see Comm2A at least filing Legislation. I know a lot of it fails, but they are an ever-present thorn in the side of the Government.

And the NRA is on the news every day.

So explain where my bucks will do more good with GOAL than Comm2A or the NRA.

Name one thing GOAL has accomplished this past year in Mass that makes it easier to obtain an LTC, expands the Roster, ends the harassment of Mail Order Dealers who will not ship me Ammo, etc.

Now I see Comm2A at least filing Legislation. I know a lot of it fails, but they are an ever-present thorn in the side of the Government.

Comm2A is a legal organization with the intention to file law suits.

GOAL is a political organization, so you wont necessarily see GOAL filing lawsuits. GOAL is our only real voice (other than individuals) in the MA political process. It would be MUCH worse in MA if we didn't have GOAL.

http://www.goal.org/legislation.html

They do a lot behind the scenes, but it sounds like your mind is made up. Give to Comm2A, or why not both. Costs less than a bottle of good scotch.

Search the forum for specific examples. It's your money, do what you want.

There are also benefits to going green here as well.
Goal does a lot of work and has been very instumental in getting some bills passed and others blocked

Back
Top Bottom