• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AMZN buying WFM

I'm curious to see whether there are more changes to whole foods brick and mortar or more incorporation of whole foods brands into amazon pantry

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I can't understand Azn buying Whole Paycheck. Azn was built on cheap prices for goods, whereas Whole Paycheck was built on emptying your wallet for goods.

I can't understand Azn buying Whole Paycheck. Azn was built on cheap prices for goods, whereas Whole Paycheck was built on emptying your wallet for goods.

Amazon has been starting to play in the grocery space with Amazon Fresh in limited markets. Perhaps they're buying Whole Check for their distribution network, or to give the Amazon grocery offerings more street cred.

19260646_1593038044087918_4116968029107136349_n.png

My guess is they will use WF for distribution of food under their pantry. Which is smart.

As for WF being more expensive, yes it is. But the fresh food is far better quality than anything else you'll find around. Ever seen the size of the wild scallops you can buy at WFs?

i like it. i have been on an organic food kick lately, and found that although whole foods has the goods, often they are not very fresh. Amazon will teach them how a warehouse properly operates.

Product diversification, vertical integration, all that good corporate stuff.

Amazon can now sell you books for a penny, or a loaf of organic bread made from grain buried with King Tut, for $12.95.

This way people do not have to leave the house to empty their food budget.

Brilliant. Make it easier for people to hand over their $.

Reminds me of a Nicholas Cage movie, where he's a con man, and is accused of taking people's money. "No! They want to give me their money!"

i like it. i have been on an organic food kick lately, and found that although whole foods has the goods, often they are not very fresh. Amazon will teach them how a warehouse properly operates.

Surprising. My experience over many years has been the exact opposite. A trip to WF is like a 30 minute vacation and the fresh produce, seafood and meat are consistently excellent.

I'm not optimistic about this acquisition. One of the reasons the WF experience is so good is the quality of the people they hire with pay and benefits far above the industry average as I understand it. Cutting pay and benefits will be an irresistible target for Amazon.

Also, WF has pretty much reached market saturation. More growth will require a change in the WF formula - and then it won't be WF.

But I'm not much of a visionary so maybe Bezos will do something great with WF. Fingers crossed.

They can satisfy both ends of the spectrum. Now people do not have to hop in their land rovers to drive 2 miles to Whole Foods. Amazon is slowly taking over the world.

Next mission...turn all those Fulltime jobs into part time

I can, because this is likely just phase 1. Amazon wants to distribute groceries. Going to a grocery store is a huge ****ing waste of time. Amazon knows this and is probably going to do something to profit from it. And there are a bunch of people like me, that'll pay an extra $10 on a cart of groceries to not deal with the EBT troglodyte experience at the local grocery. store. Now granted, whole paycheck is a little rich for my blood even, but I can see circumstances where I would use that kind of service in addition to whatever skinflint grocery store I would use.

-Mike

Product diversification, vertical integration, all that good corporate stuff.

Amazon can now sell you books for a penny, or a loaf of organic bread made from grain buried with King Tut, for $12.95.

This way people do not have to leave the house to empty their food budget.

Brilliant. Make it easier for people to hand over their $.

Reminds me of a Nicholas Cage movie, where he's a con man, and is accused of taking people's money. "No! They want to give me their money!"

Amazon is profiting off one thing- the fact that "everyday retail" is pretty much ****ing misery. It sucks so much that people will pay to not be exposed to it. There's nothing exciting about going to the grocery store, it's just a huge waste of time. In built up areas its even more of a waste of time because it can turn into a project that consumes hours. People would rather order their groceries at work when they're taking a mid morning dump and just have it waiting in a cooled container outside their house, or pull up to a loading area at a specified time and be done with the whole experience.

-Mike

Amazon has been looking to get into that space for years. This gives them a foothold in B&M grocery.

Amazon has also rolled out an Uber style delivery service. They have been advertising it for the last few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazon is profiting off one thing- the fact that "everyday retail" is pretty much ****ing misery. It sucks so much that people will pay to not be exposed to it. There's nothing exciting about going to the grocery store, it's just a huge waste of time. In built up areas its even more of a waste of time because it can turn into a project that consumes hours. People would rather order their groceries at work when they're taking a mid morning dump and just have it waiting in a cooled container outside their house, or pull up to a loading area at a specified time and be done with the whole experience.

-Mike

I have used peapod a few times to deliver groceries, because dealing with the people at stop and shop or worse, at shop rite, is downright annoying.

The problem is I generally don't like having some ex con handling my food and the choice of meats they delivered was terrible. It was the stuff that wasn't fit to be on the shelves gets delivered

I was in Whole Foods once a while back and observed that the same Teddy Peanut Butter sold at my local stop and shop was over a dollar more at WF for the same product and size.

Amazon has been starting to play in the grocery space with Amazon Fresh in limited markets. Perhaps they're buying Whole Check for their distribution network, or to give the Amazon grocery offerings more street cred.

And early adopters tend to be more affluent and willing to pay the price premium. Once AMZN streamlines the distribution chain and drives the price down, it may become affordable to the lower end.

The problem is I generally don't like having some ex con handling my food and the choice of meats they delivered was terrible. It was the stuff that wasn't fit to be on the shelves gets delivered

You point out the reason I won't use any of those services for perishables. I want to see the fruits, vegetables, meats, fish for myself and check "sell by" dates rather than someone else picking the oldest stuff (some of which may be soft, rotten, moldy) for me.

When I worked in Downtown Boston I would frequent the old Haymarket Square push-carts for fruit/vegetables. The vendors put the best/nicest looking stuff on top and then insist on picking your order from the bottom (the garbage), so I quit shopping there. I think of PeaPod and delivery services the same way. When I buy milk, I look for the longest date on the jug and I'll reach back if need be to grab it.

I was in Whole Foods once a while back and observed that the same Teddy Peanut Butter sold at my local stop and shop was over a dollar more at WF for the same product and size.

Did you tell management? Their error, the Whole Paycheck prices should be at least double the retail stores. I've only been in Whole Paycheck once never to return . . . walking thru the fresh produce, the prices were so high that I then started looking for their mortgage department where you can get a second mortgage on your house so you can afford to shop there.

And early adopters tend to be more affluent and willing to pay the price premium. Once AMZN streamlines the distribution chain and drives the price down, it may become affordable to the lower end.

WF becomes Wal-Mart. I hope that's not the plan.

The whole point of WF is paying too much for more than a bare bones shopping experience.

Whole Foods [WFM] stock closed at $33.06 on 6/15.
For those who bought the WFM170616C35 on 6/15 for $0.04 a share could have converted a $7,000 investment into a+$980,000 profit by 6/16.
There were rumors that AMZN was pursuing WFM.
They paid $42 a share which is where the price is now.
So the 35 call is now worth $7.05 or a $7 profit on a $0.04 price on 6/15.
Market data shows 25,700 option shares were owned by investors in that one alone.
There were 40,000 other call option shares at C30 thru C34 as well.

I have used peapod a few times to deliver groceries, because dealing with the people at stop and shop or worse, at shop rite, is downright annoying.

Yeah, I can see with certain items like that, that would be a problem, some lazy ass just picking whatever and throwing it in a bag, how it would be disappointing, or problematic, and if you use those items on a regular basis, it might make it unusable if they can't get it right.

-Mike

Walmart, Costco. Kroger, etc stock tanks. I'm waiting for Amazon to open gun stores. BTW, Bezos is a liberal *******.

I hope Amazon does succeed in online groceries, it would save me a lot of time. My biggest gripe with the current online groceries that I have tried is it looks like the produce has been kick down the stairs before packaging. Also not getting to pick your own cut of meats sucks. This may never be solvable for picky people like me haha but I guess I would consider buying the majority of goods and only going 'quickly' for meats and produce.

Obviously Amazon has been pushing into the grocery market and is starting into the perishable grocery categories. This acquisition will (as stated before) bring more credibility towards Amazons perishable food push and will also help Whole Foods streamline their warehouse and distribution. I believe that Whole Foods profits will increase as a result of increased buying power since they are now owned by Amazon and will be able to have a lower cost than before on products. Hopefully this won't encourage Whole Foods to carry lower quality goods (I don't believe it will, but you never know)
As far as online grocery shopping (and delivery) it believe it would be feasible to offer different levels of quality when it comes to selection (i.e . first choice meats/produce or second level at a slightly lower price point). I'm sure those of you that use peapod can understand that the people picking your groceries could pick sub par quality for more than 1 reason. Maybe they just don't care, maybe they were told to pick the day old produce or maybe they thought that you were too f'ing lazy to come to the store to pick out your food yourself (so you get what you get)
Looking at the employee perspective Whole Foods has been known to pay above market average for wages and hopefully this won't change (though payroll is the biggest controllable expense)
This will have a great impact on grocery stores and the supermarket industry some will be positive and some remain to be seen.

This is my .02 (with 13 years in supermarket employment and no its not with Stop and Shop :)

Amazon already has a a grocery program called Prime Fresh. It's $300/yr and it includes the regular Prime benefits plus unlimited grocery delivery. My sister lives far from the supermarket, so this makes sense for her. She says the produce is ok, but the meats are terrible (brown, not well packed, etc.).

If she orders groceries every week, that'll come to ~$6 shipping for each delivery (300/52).

For me, my local MB is pretty damn good. $0.39/lb for bananas, $0.59/lb for chicken leg quarters, $0.99/dozen large eggs, $1.69/lb broccoli.

As far as online grocery shopping (and delivery) it believe it would be feasible to offer different levels of quality when it comes to selection (i.e . first choice meats/produce or second level at a slightly lower price point). I'm sure those of you that use peapod can understand that the people picking your groceries could pick sub par quality for more than 1 reason. Maybe they just don't care, maybe they were told to pick the day old produce or maybe they thought that you were too f'ing lazy to come to the store to pick out your food yourself (so you get what you get)

Its not about being to F'ing lazy, Peapod offered the convenience, at an additional cost, of not having to go to the store. But what they didn't tell you was you were going to get sub par food too.

With amazon getting into the game. I think I will get non perishables from them and go to the butcher for meats and produce stands for fruits and veggies.

Back
Top Bottom