ammo shortage??

Ya I'm not sure there is such a thing as too old on well stored ammo, but if there is I ought to figure it out.

Most of the ammo I've got is in deep storage mode, packed tightly into gasketed cans with dry packs, stacked up in a dry area. My ASSumption is it can sit there for decades and come out in about the same condition as it went in.

Your ASSumption is correct.

The only thing I've found with long term stored milsurp ammo ( primarily com bloc stuff) is acidic paper/ boxes used in packing. I've switched to unboxing the stuff and storing it loose in cans. No paper to attract moisture, no potential acidic interactions with brass, copper washed steel, or copper clad bullets.

I'll toss in a couple of Lot# portions of boxes so the mfgr date and Lot are available for reference.

I've considered reloading but unfortunately I've collected firearms in calibers that don't make sense for reloading (9mm, 7.62x39 and 22LR). I guess a case can be made for 9mm now but a few weeks ago it didn't really make sense.

I primarily load 9mm, (with sides of .357Sig, .38Spcl and .357Mag). It makes sense because I generally shoot 200 rounds of it a week, every week - we don't have "winter" here in Georgia. That's 10,000 rounds a year. When I load my own, I don't have to worry about running to the store to pick it up, and I get a consistent round. 124grn over 4.0 of TiteGroup cycles all of my 9's.

Some weeks I shoot more than that. I shot a match Saturday, went to the range Monday, and I'm running two guns in a USPSA match Saturday. Round count for that match looks like 133. Add in some misses/makeups, double the count - and I'll probably shoot 300 rounds in that match.

It's not the money - it's the availability. When I want ammo, I get it off my shelves. If my shelves are low, I load some more.

I don't reload .22, .380, .308, .556 or .45 at this point.
.22 I can't. .308 I shoot maybe 20 rounds a year. .45 I shoot about 600 rounds a year and .556 I shoot maybe 1000 rounds a year.
I'm thinking about .556 and .45...

This.

I shoot tons of milsurp ammo that was made in the 50s and 60s and never had a failure. I also have factory made pistol cal ammo that is over 10 years old .....all goes bang.
It’s been in and out of the magazine’s, and gun countless times in the past ten or so years. I figured it was time to replace it as a precaution. I’ll use it at the range.

Florida! We all hate you now. Enjoy.
I burned my nipples...

images

It’s been in and out of the magazine’s, and gun countless times in the past ten or so years. I figured it was time to replace it as a precaution. I’ll use it at the range.
If it's been chambered and unloaded a few times bullet setback can be a concern. A pair of calipers can let you know pretty easy of the bullets been pushed in.

Just curious how much is enough ammo. I must have three thousand round of 9mm, not counting my carry ammo. Also about two thousand rounds of 556. I always have about that much kicking around. If not more.

Just curious how much is enough ammo. I must have three thousand round of 9mm, not counting my carry ammo. Also about two thousand rounds of 556. I always have about that much kicking around. If not more.
Enough to last you (allow you to shoot regularly not just hoard the ammo) a few years if Trump doesn’t win in November. And the corona crap is just added bs.

Saturday 3/14 late night I ordered a case of Aguila 22 and 500 rounds of 357. 357 shipped yesterday, 22 shipped today. Today I ordered a case of Aguila 9mm 115gr @ $239 and a case of Privi Partizan 45 230gr @ $275, both brass. They're both now listed as out of stock and prices are unchanged.

Prices are up a tad but not TOO bad considering. If I have to trade ammo for food or gas I'll use them, otherwise both go on the bottom of the stacks under Federal, AE, Blazer, etc.

The prepper types always seem to state 1,000 rds per firearm for SHTF. Which probably doesn't make sense for most of us who stock up primarily to keep our normal range schedule going without worrying about ammo shortages. I kept track of what I shot for a few years and stocked up based on that average. Feels good to have enough inventory for years of upcoming range trips.

Saturday 3/14 late night I ordered a case of Aguila 22 and 500 rounds of 357. 357 shipped yesterday, 22 shipped today. Today I ordered a case of Aguila 9mm 115gr @ $239 and a case of Privi Partizan 45 230gr @ $275, both brass. They're both now listed as out of stock and prices are unchanged.

Prices are up a tad but not TOO bad considering. If I have to trade ammo for food or gas I'll use them, otherwise both go on the bottom of the stacks under Federal, AE, Blazer, etc.
Make sure you save all of that 357 and 44 mag brass...

The prepper types always seem to state 1,000 rds per firearm for SHTF. Which probably doesn't make sense for most of us who stock up primarily to keep our normal range schedule going without worrying about ammo shortages. I kept track of what I shot for a few years and stocked up based on that average. Feels good to have enough inventory for years of upcoming range trips.
Bingo

Per GUN or per Caliber? If it's caliber I'm good, if it's gun I'm in trouble Somebody like @Zappa would need a warehouse-full if it's per GUN.

What was the pre virus going rate for 00 buck ? It's now .80 for 00 2 3\4 .
I'd like to stock some
That seems to be what is lowest in my lead pantry

What was the pre virus going rate for 00 buck ? It's now .80 for 00 2 3\4 .
I'd like to stock some
That seems to be what is lowest in my lead pantry

All last year, there were sales at different online vendors for Sellior&Bellot 9 pellet 2 3/4 inch 12ga, 250rds, $70-78 some with free shipping.
Shotgun ammo, buckshot in particular has been cheap, like 35 cents a round delivered.

Back
Top Bottom