Ammo question: Glock 17, Glock 26, Glock 43, Ruger LC9s ... Best carry/self defense ammo ? Is there one that is best for all of em?

In a short barrel like 3 to 3.5 inches, 9mm +P is extra pressure and recoil for not much gain and with how everyone wants as small a pistol as possible, I have concerns with shooting 9mm +P in something like the Ruger LC9 or G43. For the larger pistols, the extra velocity is worth the extra pressure.

So, if you want to have both a small CCW 9mm and a full size SHTF 9mm, but only want one ammo for both, you're gonna have to decide whether to go standard pressure or +P. The non premium 9mm JHP made by Winchester and Remington is all standard pressure and it works fine, so I fail to see the need for +P. If you need more power get a .40/10mm.

In a short barrel like 3 to 3.5 inches, 9mm +P is extra pressure and recoil for not much gain and with how everyone wants as small a pistol as possible, I have concerns with shooting 9mm +P in something like the Ruger LC9 or G43. For the larger pistols, the extra velocity is worth the extra pressure.

Well, in a short barrel, that +P may be just enough extra velocity to ensure proper expansion of a JHP. Or may be just enough extra velocity to ensure proper penetration. There’s a chance it’ll just be extra kick and flash while still failing those performance metrics. But you need to consider it. For a compact or full size, +P is almost never needed for good JHP rounds.

Last edited:
HST 147 for me in my G19’s and Gold Dot short barrel 124 in my G26 . I tried them and they functioned flawlessly. My father had a Hornady jam with a failure to feed on his handgun so he doesn’t carry that. I think he’s running GD’s or HST now. you need to really test your pairings. For what it’s worth I stacked deep on HST, Gold Dot, PDX-1, Ranger Bonded, Critical duty. I don’t discriminate but sometimes guns do. lots of luckygunner data, shootingthebull410, tnoutdoors.

Well, in a short barrel, that +P may be just enough extra velocity to ensure proper expansion of a JHP. Or may be just enough extra velocity to ensure proper penetration. There’s a chance it’ll just be extra kick and flash while still failing those performance metrics. But you need to consider it. For a compact or full size, +P is almost never needed for good JHP rounds.
For the premium ammo like HST, they've got those bullets tuned to work at almost any velocity from any handgun barrel length. It's older stuff like Hydra Shocks or other ammo where the extra pressure may make the difference.

For the premium ammo like HST, they've got those bullets tuned to work at almost any velocity from any handgun barrel length. It's older stuff like Hydra Shocks or other ammo where the extra pressure may make the difference.

Except that’s not always true. One source, Firearm Blog, found that most tested JHP didn’t do well in a 3” barrel, to include HST 150 which is supposed to be designed for short barrels. However, going to +P 124gr HST worked.

Back
Top Bottom