Ammo in truck question...

I feel like a dick posting this because I'm sure it is covered somewhere but I haven't found anything that pertains to exactly the question I have (I did spend 20 minutes searching)...

Anyways, basically I'm looking to pick up a soft carbine case that has velcro pockets on the outside for mags. As far as I can tell it would be perfectly legal for me to load up my 30 round pre bans and put them into the pockets with the gun LOCKED in the case to travel to the range.

I drive an explorer sport, so I don't really have a trunk, but I can lock the back hatch.

Does anyone see a problem with this? I'm just looking for some confirmation that this would be ok before I spend the money on a case. (as it would be a waste of money if I have to keep the ammo separate or locked up or whatever.

There are no laws in MA regulating storage of ammo or loaded mags in a motor vehicle.

About the only thing you don't want to do is let unlicensed people drive your car/truck if you leave ammo in it because they might get nailed for possession without a license if they got stopped, searched, and ammo was found. (The scenario is unlikely, of course, but not completely impossible. )

-Mike

I have a pickup with a bed cover and the tailgate locks. I transport my rifles in unlocked cases in the back and lock the tailgate. Going to the range the other day a friend told me i could not also transport my ammo in the bed because it was not secured separately from the rifle. Is he correct?

IANAL I think he is right. I would either put the ammo in the cab of your truck or lock it separately in an ammo can in the bed of the truck.

ETA: Transporting as you stated may be o.k. as long is the gun is unloaded, I may be confused with the storage law, hopefully someone else chimes in!

Last edited:
...a friend told me i could not also transport my ammo in the bed because it was not secured separately from the rifle. Is he correct?

No.

The rifles must be unloaded, but there is no requirement to separate firearms and ammunition, nor is ammunition required to be secured during transport.

No.

The rifles must be unloaded, but there is no requirement to separate firearms and ammunition, nor is ammunition required to be secured during transport.

But...but....won't they migrate towards each other, and mate, creating victims?

I'm sure there's a Brady Bunch or VPC publication on that....

I have a pickup with a bed cover and the tailgate locks. I transport my rifles in unlocked cases in the back and lock the tailgate. Going to the range the other day a friend told me i could not also transport my ammo in the bed because it was not secured separately from the rifle. Is he correct?
No, he's wrong. Here is the MA law on transporting guns in a vehicle. If you read it, you'll see that it never mentions ammunition:

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

Back
Top Bottom