• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ames Rifle and Pistol Club

There were basically two choices. Put up the plywood, or shut down the ranges. It was not my intention to supress other opinion, but to express my own. I hope to see you at the meeting where I will respectfully listen to your opinion.

Fine Leadership call a meeting with no notice. The more I hear the more "fishy" it sounds, no SP involvement?, that is SOP. More secrets than answers. Gates, kitchens, ranges, what next? I personly have no problem with any one member of the BOD, but it seems there is 1 chief and the indians don't exist. Give us real answers and not BS stories! I will be there this morning for the better of the club and screw up the day I planned weeks ago. I bet we will not have a professional engineer or land surveor in the house that can form a professional oppinion.

There weren't that many people at the meeting. I asked some hard questions and got some reasonable answers to why it the modifications were done. I won't presume to speak for the BOD, especially as one is a member here and can speak to the issue. I will say that my impression is that the changes are temporary until more permanent modifications can be made. The BOD is looking for ideas, and any interested members should show up at the next BOD or general membership meeting and bring their ideas forward.

That's all I'm going to say for now other than the BOD (and others) are trying to address the concerns of the neighbors and law enforcement in a manner that is the least restrictive to the membership. I'm pretty sure that there will be a couple of work parties when the folks looking into the design changes are finished with their work.

We're free to give our opinion and clearly the majority of the members feel that the recent changes were not the best choices. The club definitely was one of the best but with some of the updates such as this plywood debacle the club is turning in to Fudd heaven. I wouldn't be surprised if they did implement round limitations or no rapid fire at this rate. The plywood seriously impedes the use of the 100 yard range for most of the members. All you can do is shoot from the bench, kneel, or shoot prone. You can't shoot free hand or stand and shoot pistol like you should be able to on that range. I drive from North Attleboro just to shoot at Ames because I knew it was one of the best around but we'll just have to see how this situation plays out.

As of this morning, two sections of the 100 yard range have been unblocked to allow off hand shooting. Again, come to the November meeting, either the BOD or general, and ask some questions.

Too many people get their panties wadded and don't show to back up their retoric. An inconvienience is all this is in my opinion. Lighten the eff up folks or grab a shovel. The one time I was a quest shooter I felt at home. There were no fudds unlike other clubs. Ames in my eyes is a shooters club, period. Visit other clubs primarily catering to clay shooting and you will see more fudds than you care to.

While the lighting system at ames is new to me, I will adjust.

Joining the club is now my top priority.

Fine Leadership call a meeting with no notice. The more I hear the more "fishy" it sounds, no SP involvement?, that is SOP. More secrets than answers. Gates, kitchens, ranges, what next? I personly have no problem with any one member of the BOD, but it seems there is 1 chief and the indians don't exist. Give us real answers and not BS stories! I will be there this morning for the better of the club and screw up the day I planned weeks ago. I bet we will not have a professional engineer or land surveor in the house that can form a professional oppinion.

When I joined the club Ira said to me..." We don't tolerate a**holes". So, how did you get in?

I've recently joined Ames in the last 3 months and have had nothing but a postitive experience. Michelle, the sec, is a very friendly person as well as the other members I've met. The 24/7 shooting option is very nice as well as the heated outdoor ranges as well as the archery range in case you want to shoot your bow as well.

I ended up not making the meeting as I slept in a little late but got the low down from my brother who did go. It does sound like things should be OK going forward and we just need to figure out a way to protect ourselves from any liabilities. Hopefully they find a good way to compromise between keeping the culture the same and appeasing the locals. We definitely don't want to lose our club due to some unfortunate circumstance.

Just catching up on this thread, sounds like progress is being made. Lets keep dicussion for the club and meetings not a public forum. Remember we are a friendly club, take the high road with comments towards each other on here.

Madame Secretary is no longer Secretary. I know there is a new secretary. I am still a member there, and plan to stay a member there. I am looking for another club to join in this area...to expand my shooting experience. I like to shoot handguns mostly, but love to shoot my rifles and shotguns as well. Anyone with any good club suggestions, please let me know. I love Ames and the members there. I am also a BFS Course Instructor, and would love to continue to teach, and bring new shooters into our sport. My email address is still [email protected]. Anyone with suggestions, please let me know. I hope everyone still continues to enjoy Ames. It is a great club and has great facilities! I have not been there recently...my mom has been sick...but I will try to be at the January member meeting. The member meetings are usually a lot of fun!

Madame Secretary is no longer Secretary. I know there is a new secretary. I am still a member there, and plan to stay a member there. I am looking for another club to join in this area...to expand my shooting experience. I like to shoot handguns mostly, but love to shoot my rifles and shotguns as well. Anyone with any good club suggestions, please let me know. I love Ames and the members there. I am also a BFS Course Instructor, and would love to continue to teach, and bring new shooters into our sport. My email address is still [email protected]. Anyone with suggestions, please let me know. I hope everyone still continues to enjoy Ames. It is a great club and has great facilities! I have not been there recently...my mom has been sick...but I will try to be at the January member meeting. The member meetings are usually a lot of fun!

You are a class act Shel, and my son Jake and I will miss you more than you know.

You will always be Madame Secretary to us.

The support that you showed my son when he was starting to shoot meant the world to him. He still looks for your truck every time we go to the range. I hope to see you soon and that you keep in touch.

Best of luck and well wishes to your Mom. Love Ya

Wayne & Jake

Thank you Wayne. I will miss Jake...he is SO COOL!!!!! I will be Jake's secretary when he needs one! I'm going to miss the people at Ames. It is a great club.
Michelle

Fencer I agree Madame Secretary is a class act. I think I met you and your son, I let he let him shoot my GSG 5. Monday will be my last meeting, nothing has been done but talk about the 100 yard range. I think that place is going to be FUDD haven in no time. The ouster of the Secretary solidifies the "Old Boy" mentality of the BOD, they refuse to change with the times and listen to the Members. I have joined a local club and the members have said nothing has changed with the BOD at Ames and same secrets from the "Old Boy" continues. I have never seen such a great group of people minipulated and lied to by the BOD as happens at Ames.

I'm looking to join a Club with an outdoor range and the guys down @ Zero Hour mentioned Ames. He told me that there are certain hours on Saturdays when the public can go in and shoot, he told me the hours but I forgot them after I walked out the door with my new rifle. I would like to take a tour of the facilities (I've seen the pics on the website) and possibly join. Thank in advance!

Ira makes the rules as he goes. Don't cha know that by now. Come out of the dark and join a REAL club. I will PM you and let you know where I and a couple "Blasters" joined.

Mark got it right.... The whole situation left me feeling sandbagged and disappointed.... The first I had heard that I need a special qualification to shoot this gun was today.... The range is posted that 50 Cal shooters needed board permission but honestly thought Ira spoke for the board when he indicated that it would be no problem... Is really too bad because all of our impressions of the club had been very positive up to today's incident.....

It is turning into a fudd range you now have no choice but to sit down to shoot at the 300 yd range,bullshit i say. Also does any one know why the indoor range is closed?not much info on the sign

Who did you speak to? Was Ira present while you were shooting
? Did you call Ira? His phone number is located throughout the club.

Who did you speak to? Was Ira present while you were shooting
? Did you call Ira? His phone number is located throughout the club.

The member that was involved called Ira and Ira was the one who said to make sure to copy down our license plate number.... I asked to speak to Ira and when the phone was handed to me I introduced myself and Ira hung up....

Wow, that really sux. The times I have been there I met Ira and enjoyed myself. Shot the 300yd and didn't need to qualify.

How does one get a red card and is it carte' blanche after aquiring one? I'd ask for a refund.

If what transpired came from someone else I'd call BS but you guys are two of the nicest people I've had the pleasure of knowing.

What now, Holbrook?

Back
Top Bottom