Ames Rifle and Pistol Club

KAV

I am thinking of joining this club and was wondering if there are any people out there that might have an opinion of this club in Easton.

Facilities are sub par. But it's never crowded, the people are friendly, and there are no required work hours or sponsorships to
deal with.

Overall I like it for what it is.

I am a member there. The 300 yard range is heated and the pistol range has a lot of steel to shoot.

I don't think the facilities are sub par.

I was a member there for a few years. Overall it's not a bad club but at the time the Pres. had some kind of issue with GOAL - real or imagined - I don't know. He wanted to cut the tie with GOAL. 1st time it got voted down. This was after Mr. Wallace came to the Club meeting and talked to the membership. 2nd time it was a surprize and the Club voted with the Pres. I voted with my feet.

If I had the cash I would join Ames in a heartbeat. I have seen many club ranges and this one is far from sub-par.

Facilities are sub par. But it's never crowded, the people are friendly, and there are no required work hours or sponsorships to
deal with.

Overall I like it for what it is.

Obviously you have not been there. Or you have not seen the other clubs.

Obviously you have not been there. Or you have not seen the other clubs.

I've been there, I've seen other been to other clubs, I don't think it's sub par. One thing I like is that I can go any time I want and shoot. The indoor range is open 24/7, even if the outdoor ranges are closed. I'm treated like an adult and don't need a range officer to watch me shoot. I have a key, as do all members, so I can come and go as I please.

Work parties are encouraged, but not required. There is one in late April. The facility has been constantly upgraded over the past few years and there are plans to do more.

As to the GOAL issue, I have to explore that some more. The last meeting I attended the relationship was "off" again, but I don't know why. I have some issues with the president, but I expect to bring them up in a positive sort of way at the next meeting I attend.

All in all, it's a good place to go and shoot.

And no, you don't need a sponsor, or a committee to approve your membership. You can show up at a meeting, fill out an application, give them a check and get your key. Actually, you can do the same thing any time an officer is around. Which seems to be most days, particularly in the early afternoon.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the secretary's email. She's up there most days, and I'm pretty sure that she'd meet you up there if you wanted to join.

Hi everyone. My name is Michelle, and I'm the Secretary at Ames. I'd like to thank all of you who said Ames was good. We have three outdoor ranges, and our indoor range is open 24/7/365. Our outdoor ranges are open from 9am until sunset. We are affiliated with the NRA and other organizations. We are no longer affiliated with GOAL. The membership voted on that.
We support our sport, and all love it. We encourage our members and their children to continue to enjoy the sport we love. If anyone has any questions or concerns about Ames, they should contact me at 781-254-4211 or email me at [email protected].
We also have an archery range, which we are upgrading this spring. We do not require sponsors, but all prospective members must have an orientation. Our member meetings are held on the second Monday of every month, and begin at 7:30pm. Dinner is served starting at 6:00pm, so come early.

Last edited:
I suppose anything could be sub-par, if you want to set "par" high enough. Ames is a great club for many reasons, most of which have been mentioned already, though it should be pointed out that, how much you do get - for how little you have to pay, makes it an exceptional value. (Many facilities don't even have a heated booth 300 yard range)

If I had the cash I would join Ames in a heartbeat. I have seen many club ranges and this one is far from sub-par.
and I'd be willing to spot you, just to help out, but I'm having enough trouble justifying what I'm already spending w/ the missus [wink] and I'm still not done getting my reloading setup yet.

For the number of members it has, it's surprisingly very easy to find only yourself shooting or with just a handful of others, so I've never been wanting for the ability to work "alone" to improve my skills, or to turn to the guy down the other end and chat if that is my desire. It will always be the other humans that will be the reason whether you will use/join any club, and these folks are as nice as any I've found. Sure, some could pick up there brass a little better, or not completely [mg] obliterate the target stands with "what the heck's he shootin'?"[shocked], but I've seen enough in life to know that will be the reality at every club. There are at least three other clubs closer to my house, but it's still worth the ride to get there.

Hello All. I have been a member of Ames for a few years and the club as well as its leadership have all been great. Everyone is very friendly and I always have a great time when ever I go there.

Ames is a great club. The price is more than fair and they give you alot for what you spend. I take my 10 year old son with me all of the time and every member he sees offers him encouragement and support. When you go to Ames you really feel like it is "Your" club and every member I have run into has been very friendly.

Ames April member meeting is on Monday April 12th. It starts at 7:30. Dinner is ready at 6:00.

Last edited:
It is a fairly good place.
I was a member there for a while
The 300 yard range is set up to bench rest but you can shoot standing without alot of problems.
The indoor range is pretty good but the vent system doesn't work well.
It has a lot of metal targets outdoors that do get shot up but they do work ok.
overall I would give it a grade of a C
There are ranges within 15 min of there that have better ranges but there are definately worse ranges.
Would I rejoin ... most likely no... because of the indoor vent and I don't shoot bench rest alot.

It is a fairly good place.
I was a member there for a while
The 300 yard range is set up to bench rest but you can shoot standing without alot of problems.
The indoor range is pretty good but the vent system doesn't work well. ( Did you remember to turn it on when you got there? I use it every week and it works great)
It has a lot of metal targets outdoors that do get shot up but they do work ok. (All steel reactive targets become "shot up", thats what they are for)
overall I would give it a grade of a C ( [rolleyes] )
There are ranges within 15 min of there that have better ranges but there are definately worse ranges. ( Wrong.)
Would I rejoin ... most likely no... because of the indoor vent and I don't shoot bench rest alot.
( It's not a benchrest only range)

I'm a newer member there. The facilities are by far better than any of the other 4 clubs in my area. That is why I make the 40 min drive every week.

The facility alone makes it one of the best in the area. Factor in the great people I have met so far and it is hands down best in the state.

Last edited:
I have been a member there for three years and I love the place just because the members and people on the board are friendly no body bothers you and there is always room to shoot not matter how many people are there unlike some closer clubs not to mention the owner of zero hour is on the board

I have been member since 94 or 95 - forgot such a minor detail.
Club changed with time, and I like some of the recent changes. I like 300 yards range, although I do not use it much.
Practical Pistol practices - my favorite - are great! The range buildings are good, although I hate shooting from that plinking house during summer.

The biggest attraction - are the people at Ames, especially Madam Secretary.

( It's not a benchrest only range)

I'm a newer member there. The facilities are by far better than any of the other 4 clubs in my area. That is why I make the 40 min drive every week.

The facility alone makes it one of the best in the area. Factor in the great people I have met so far and it is hands down best in the state.

IMO there are definatly worse clubs.
I do know how the vent system works and how a vent system should work.
If you smell gunpowder indoors you are breathing in lead. A vent system also should not freeze you when it's 20 outside.
The 300 yard has an enclosure with 5-6 large benchrest benches and one opening for position.
You can shoot standing but you need to move a 100# bench... sounds like mostly benchrest to me.
I stiick with better than average but not outstanding rating.

yes some moron thought it would be a good idea to put up plywood on the 100yd range blocking the view down range trust this will be gone soon If not I will be firing up my chainsaw next range trip

Yup. I haven't seen it yet, but my brother told me what's going on. Facking ridiculous... After speaking to one of the club officers, lots of the members are BULLS*** at this. I hope it's just a temporary thing as it was due to a knee jerk reaction... If anybody has any questions just reply to one of the club newsletter emails. We need to find a better solution to the problem at hand.

I'm looking for a new place and I just joined over the summer. BOD seems unorganized and they don't seem to listen to the members. Had I known this would become a bench rest only club I would not have joined.

Hopefully we can get the situation resolved in a short amount of time. It does sound like it was an overreaction to an incident that likely did not even involve something that happened on club property.

I was not at the last meeting, but I heard the Pres was running his mouth. Not a good idea to refer to the COP as a "donut eating moron" and members as "blasters", sounds pretty ugly. What is up with the attitude, not good.

Ira Siegel is the President at Ames and I have issue with anyone that would speak out against him. Mr. Siegel is a former Officer and Robin Sage Instructor. He has seen more shit and knows more about firearms that most of us wannabe gun gurus have ever dreamed of. He has also helped to make sure that Ames is one of the best clubs around. No one ever bothers you at Ames. There are no foolish restrictions and member police themselves as responsible adults.
I would rather shoot bench rest at the heated 300 yard range with Ira Siegel than go to some pussy range that limits what targets I use, how many rounds I load and my rate of fire, and frankly, if people want to leave , let em. More lanes for me to shoot at.
The club was faced with a difficult situation and the Pres. did what he had to do, to the best of his ability, to get the ranges open asap. Is he perfect? Ofcourse not, but atleast he did something, and he did it right away. That is what a leader does.

Go to the meeting and be heard. Support your BOD or run for office if you think you can do better, but don't shit on the club because you have been temporarily inconvenienced

We're free to give our opinion and clearly the majority of the members feel that the recent changes were not the best choices. The club definitely was one of the best but with some of the updates such as this plywood debacle the club is turning in to Fudd heaven. I wouldn't be surprised if they did implement round limitations or no rapid fire at this rate. The plywood seriously impedes the use of the 100 yard range for most of the members. All you can do is shoot from the bench, kneel, or shoot prone. You can't shoot free hand or stand and shoot pistol like you should be able to on that range. I drive from North Attleboro just to shoot at Ames because I knew it was one of the best around but we'll just have to see how this situation plays out.

Back
Top Bottom