• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ames Rifle and Pistol Club

Wow, that really sux. The times I have been there I met Ira and enjoyed myself. Shot the 300yd and didn't need to qualify.

How does one get a red card and is it carte' blanche after aquiring one? I'd ask for a refund.

If what transpired came from someone else I'd call BS but you guys are two of the nicest people I've had the pleasure of knowing.

What now, Holbrook?

Thanks John for the kind words.

I'm thinking Harvard, but it's a bit of a hoof [thinking]

<Gagged>

Last edited:
Thanks John for the kind words.

I'm thinking Harvard, but it's a bit of a hoof [thinking] Every other time I've been down there I've had no problems but today just left a bad taste in my mouth [sad2] After we told the guy that Ira was saying before that it was fine to shoot here, he changed his story to more of a "there's been a lot of problems of bullets going over the berm". I looked down range and the berm is literally about 50ft high. It's a 100yrds and I'm using a rifle that with the right person behind it could hit out to about 1000yrds. I have no problem at all following club rules, but it makes it kind of hard when they're constantly changing based on what they want to do that day.

I'd suggest you go to the next monthly meeting and raise your concerns. I think you'll find that a lot of people will be supportive. I know in the past that the board has "reconsidered" a rule that was put in place without it being brought before the membership for approval. If nothing else, you and your dad should get your money back.

I didn't know that the indoor range was closed.

I'd suggest you go to the next monthly meeting and raise your concerns. I think you'll find that a lot of people will be supportive. I know in the past that the board has "reconsidered" a rule that was put in place without it being brought before the membership for approval. If nothing else, you and your dad should get your money back.

I didn't know that the indoor range was closed.

This. I was not there so I cannot comment on what transpired. I would either call Ira or go to the next meeting and explain to the board what happened that day. If you are a paying member, you have the right to use the range.

No idea what happened to the indoor range, heard there was a safety issue and they are working on it.

This. I was not there so I cannot comment on what transpired. I would either call Ira or go to the next meeting and explain to the board what happened that day. If you are a paying member, you have the right to use the range.

No idea what happened to the indoor range, heard there was a safety issue and they are working on it.

My understanding is that what I need to do is attend a board meeting and request permission to shoot the 50.... If granted I'm issued a "red card" and then I can shoot it.... Am pretty sure that I can get one if I explain what happened and request one.... The thing is that I was really looking for a place where I could go shoot without much hassle.... Am perfectly willing to comply with club rules and always try and consider the other shooters when at the range.... As an RO at BRP I also understand inter-shooter dynamics particularly when some of the bigger bore stuff is on the range..... That is why we set up on the far left position of the 100 yard range as away as possible from the bb gun guys who were the only other group set up to shoot on the 100 yard range.... It's just at this point after this weekend I'm not sure I want to be a member of a club where I spend a long drive on the road getting there and then get surprised and hassled when I want to shoot....

Am also not interested in changing the rules.... I'm sure the rules are in place for a reason and I'm cool with that.... I just am not used to being caught by surprise.... I also know that I can attend the regular board meetings to stay in the loop for stuff that is happening but in all honesty all I want to do is be able to shoot and the long drive is a bit of a hoof....

I think the biggest thing for me anyway was the way the whole thing went down..... When we were shooting the 50 and Ira was there everything seemed cool and he certainly seemed like a nice enough guy.... The thing that really raised the hair on the back of my neck is the license plate thing.... It just seemed way over the top....

Anyway the bottom line is that I know the next move is mine..... If Mark and I decide to stay members I will make the meeting and petition the board for a "red card".... If we decide that it's not worth the hassle or the shooting situation is too mercurial will continue our search for a 50 friendly range that hopefully is not too much of a drive.....[thinking]

Last edited:
The rule about the red cards is posted in the club by the front door. You have to have a special card to shoot either a 50 or a machine gun. I have no idea wether you were told this when you joined or not. I am surprised Ira didn't mention anything to you about the red card while you were shooting next to him.

The rule about the red cards is posted in the club by the front door. You have to have a special card to shoot either a 50 or a machine gun. I have no idea wether you were told this when you joined or not. I am surprised Ira didn't mention anything to you about the red card while you were shooting next to him.

Thanks! No one mentioned it but could have been that things were hopping at the time... Place was packed and pretty much standing room only so there was lots going on.... Has the "red card" requirement been in place long?

I am not sure when they put that policy into place. I can tell you it was longer than a year ago though. I imagine it is to go over the rules specific to shooting that round on the range. More specifically, not shooting holes in the steel targets on the range like some people were doing. I imagine that is the reasoning behind taking your license number down as well, making sure there was no damage to the range from those rounds. I wouldn't take it personal.

You can imagine it gets pretty frustrating when we members do work parties and take care of the range only to have it destroyed by people who want to shoot things just to see things get destroyed. People like to bring stuff to the plinking range to shoot up, not a big deal, but they leave the carcas and pieces of what they shot up all over the range for us to clean up. It gets old fast.

I am not sure when they put that policy into place. I can tell you it was longer than a year ago though. I imagine it is to go over the rules specific to shooting that round on the range. More specifically, not shooting holes in the steel targets on the range like some people were doing. I imagine that is the reasoning behind taking your license number down as well, making sure there was no damage to the range from those rounds. I wouldn't take it personal.

You can imagine it gets pretty frustrating when we members do work parties and take care of the range only to have it destroyed by people who want to shoot things just to see things get destroyed. People like to bring stuff to the plinking range to shoot up, not a big deal, but they leave the carcas and pieces of what they shot up all over the range for us to clean up. It gets old fast.

Ah I see.... I joined back in the Jan/Feb time frame and was thinking it might have been enacted since I joined and that might explain why it wasn't mentioned..... Unfortunately it looks like it's not the case.....

I know what you mean as far as folks shooting everything in sight..... The time we were shooting Ira was pretty pissed that someone had dragged the brass buckets out onto the 100 yard range and proceeded to destroy them.... Pretty inconsiderate.... You've got to wonder what some folks are thinking....[thinking]

Don't try to sugar coat it, you got screwed at YOUR own range. Ira has different rules for different folks and no respect for those that question anything. Ira is a BS artist plain and simply. The club is going full out Fudd, get your money back because you were not treated in a friendly manner. On a side note who ever ran your plate for kicks could be in deep doodoo if you were to follow up on that. This is par for the way Ames has been treating members lately.

Anyone know when the work party at ames is happening? I was planning on attending

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Damn it, i couldve sworn it was later on. I was planning on attending and meeting some other members. I work nights so I cant make it to the meetings

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

he changed his story to more of a "there's been a lot of problems of bullets going over the berm". I looked down range and the berm is literally about 50ft high. It's a 100yrds and I'm using a rifle that with the right person behind it could hit out to about 1000yrds. I have no problem at all following club rules, but it makes it kind of hard when they're constantly changing based on what they want to do that day.

The word is you were shooting at 25 yards prone with a 50bmg. If you are shooting up to the target, there are certainly safety concerns with rounds leaving the range

The word is you were shooting at 25 yards prone with a 50bmg. If you are shooting up to the target, there are certainly safety concerns with rounds leaving the range

And by whom told you that? [laugh] I don't think I've ever used 25yrds as a target for any rifle, especially a 50bmg [rofl]

<Gagged>

Last edited:
Kinda seems like you are avoiding the question. When you were shooting prone, where was the target you were shooting at? Ames is very concerned about rounds leaving the range. If they think yo are doing something that might be unsafe, you will asked to leave. The only way they will know who you are is by your license plate

Here we go again! More stories about Ames. Marcus I believe you and your Father were in the right. It was OK to shoot your 50 with Ira. His club his rules, see a pattern here? Search around you will. You have already been "Black Balled" by the "Boys" give up and get your money back as someone else stated. See if they practice what they preach about being "friendly". Too bad, could be a nice place with an open and HONEST Board of Directors running the place.

I left Ames before the key cards were issued. Would this not clear up who was at the range? When they came and when they left? Still more questions for the ever so secret powers that be over at Ames.

Or simply ask for a print out of the transaction log for the day in question. I'm sure the BOD would be more than happy to comply with a members request.

You're right.

So you take one shot and you are thrown out, did you hit the target?

Have you been thrown out of any other clubs? after how many shots?

What were you wearing?

I can see why you fit in there so well [laugh]

I'm not trying to be mean, but honestly if you weren't even willing to read through my post why would I take the time to answer you each time by repeating myself over and over again to questions that have already been answered?

Supermoto the powers that be over at Ames don't like members sticking up for the club on "Northeast Gossip", just ask the former Secretary. Her thanks was the door. Marcus found out early what others took years to figure out.

The silence is deafening! Must have gotten a stern word from the man. Marcus the sheep thing is appropriate for Ames. The more sh!t they are feed the more hungry they get for more.

Back
Top Bottom