America Is Armed...

...but not necessarily loaded.

I know that similar items have been posted before, but I just came across this one. (They keep referring to cartridges as bullets in the article [rolleyes]) I was hoping that the ammo situation would ease in the near future, but I'm still having some doubts how soon it will return to pre-Obama levels. A partial quote:

"We are working overtime and still can't keep up with the demand," said Al Russo, spokesman for North Carolina-based Remington Arms Company, which makes bullets for rifles, handguns and shotguns. "We've had to add a fourth shift and go 24-7. It's a phenomenon that I have not seen before in my 30 years in the business."
Americans usually buy about 7 billion rounds of ammunition a year, according to the National Rifle Association. In the past year, that figure has jumped to about 9 billion rounds, said NRA spokeswoman Vickie Cieplak.

Jason Gregory, who manages Gretna Gun Works just outside of New Orleans, has been building his personal supply of ammunition for months. His goal is to have at least 1,000 rounds for each of his 25 weapons.

"I call it the Obama effect," said Gregory, 37, of Terrytown, La. "It always happens when the Democrats get in office. It happened with Clinton and Obama is even stronger for gun control. Ammunition will be the first step, so I'm stocking up while I can."

I wonder if down the line there might be a lot of people selling some of what they're hoarding. At some point the market has to reach saturation. Either that, or I'm really behind the curve in my stockpiling. [wink]

EDIT: I changed the thread title so people wouldn't think it was about the retail shop.

Last edited:
I wonder if down the line there might be a lot of people selling some of what they're hoarding. At some point the market has to reach saturation. Either that, or I'm really behind the curve in my stockpiling. [wink]
It's always a few bad apples that ruin it for the rest of us [thinking]....

By having only 1000rds per gun[rofl]

Saw it this morning. My brother keeps calling in need of ammo. I told him last summer, but he procrastinates way to much. Jim 25,000 rounds Mil-surp, Bob nothing. Even common 9x19 he just paid $29.00 per 50. Only 2 boxes on the shelf.

I needed 200 45 ACP for the NRA PPTiH coming up in Oct. As a college student, I don't have the kind of funding available to have anywhere close to 1000 rnds per gun. I refused to buy from anywhere but wally world since they have the lowest prices. It took a week of calling 4 different walmarts in my area every day before one finally had 45 ammo when I called. I got my 200 rounds of WWB for just shy of $65.

I currently have 150ish in reserve.
I only have 350 9mm, about 150 .223, and 100 .270WSM.

This ammo shortage blows.

Where I am(Seacoast NH), 45 has been non-existant, 40 has never run dry and 9mm was non-existant but has gotten better recently. Since Obama was elected, I have NEVER seen a bulk pack of 22lr at wally world.
I never paid much attention to 223, but wally world had some the other day when I stopped in (Epping).

It's funny how wide the division is between gun owners that enjoy shooting, and the non-shooting public in terms of what "a lot" of ammo is.

Me, if I'm under 1k rounds of every caliber that I own a gun for, I re-supply.

A non shooting/anti would wet there pink panties if they found out "I have that much".

We have to enlighten them, that is all.

My brother lives in 'the mountains' along the south carolina/Georgia border and has neighbors that have been burying as much .223 and .45 ammo as possible in their back 40's. He says that .223 is going for so much down there that he's all but hung up his black rifles for the summer because it'll make him poor to shoot it.

These are the same kind of people that bought a bushmaster off of him that he picked up in Michigan for $700 at the rate of $1500 because they feared of Obama forcing a mandatory registration. It's off the records due to SC state law and now buried in a bag of machine grease in a pvc pipe 12 feet under the ground somewhere.

Along with 5k rounds. I only wish I was joking.

Ok who needs ammo? Shortage what shortage?

ammovault.jpg

[smile][smile][smile] ( stock photo not actual )

It's funny how wide the division is between gun owners that enjoy shooting, and the non-shooting public in terms of what "a lot" of ammo is.
Me, if I'm under 1k rounds of every caliber that I own a gun for, I re-supply.

A non shooting/anti would wet there pink panties if they found out "I have that much".

We have to enlighten them, that is all.

That's why I was wondering if many of the folks buying guns and ammo out of fear of a ban would eventually end up selling those items down the line. People who are really into shooting wouldn't find it unusual to have several thousand rounds stockpiled. I was wondering more about the non-shooters.

My son and I have little trouble going through 500+ plus rounds of ammo on a range trip, depending on how many guns we bring with us on that particular day. At that rate, 1,000 rounds = 2 range trips. Not a huge amount. Plus it's always easier to carry empty ammo boxes back to the car....[wink] The only calibers that I have a decent stockpile of are .22lr and 7.62x39. Those are also the only two calibers that I don't reload for. I keep a smaller amount of the other calibers on hand, and just reload some more when the level drops. I do have a pretty decent supply of reloading components, alloy, etc. so I guess you could say I hoard that stuff.

If you're not a shooter and bought your stuff out of concern over political changes, how long are you going to sit on the stuff?

Years ago some folks bought a revolver and a box of fifty rounds and often times never used the whole box of ammo. They were non-shooters, but wanted to own a gun for their own reasons. It seems that the type of guns that today's non-shooters are buying has changed and consequently they seem to be buying a lot more ammo. I've been around long enough to know that the election of a liberal democrat usually causes a bump in demand, but usually it's been for handguns. I find this demand bump very extraordinary, and much longer lasting then I expected.

Years ago some folks bought a revolver and a box of fifty rounds and often times never used the whole box of ammo. They were non-shooters, but wanted to own a gun for their own reasons.
Yes, and if you attempt to develop and real shooting proficiency you quickly discover how horrifying this is... Thankfully, few of them ever need to use it...

Not that I am a training nazi (i.e. those that think you should have to take courses before you can "exercise your right"[sad2]), but particularly if you haven't shot anything before, you need to burn a couple thousand to work out the kinks... [laugh]

Where I am(Seacoast NH), 45 has been non-existant, 40 has never run dry and 9mm was non-existant but has gotten better recently. Since Obama was elected, I have NEVER seen a bulk pack of 22lr at wally world.
I never paid much attention to 223, but wally world had some the other day when I stopped in (Epping).
Try the Somersworth and Rochester, NH Wal-Marts. I buy .22 , .380, and have seen .40 and.45 on a regular basis.

Yes, and if you attempt to develop and real shooting proficiency you quickly discover how horrifying this is... Thankfully, few of them ever need to use it...
Not that I am a training nazi (i.e. those that think you should have to take courses before you can "exercise your right"[sad2]), but particularly if you haven't shot anything before, you need to burn a couple thousand to work out the kinks... [laugh]

Very true, cekim. I wonder how many of the "new buyers" will fall into this pattern. Any tool requires some practice to use proficiently. I can use a saw, but there's no way I can consider myself proficient with it. [laugh]

Hmmm, come to think of it, I guess we could say the same thing about procreation. A lot of people seem to have the basic ability to use the "tools" but the actual parenting abilites of some leaves much to be desired. [wink]

Hmmm, come to think of it, I guess we could say the same thing about procreation. A lot of people seem to have the basic ability to use the "tools" but the actual parenting abilites of some leaves much to be desired. [wink]
And think of all the "practice" going on there - yet still we face wide-spread incompetence... [laugh]

...but not necessarily loaded.

I know that similar items have been posted before, but I just came across this one. (They keep referring to cartridges as bullets in the article [rolleyes]) I was hoping that the ammo situation would ease in the near future, but I'm still having some doubts how soon it will return to pre-Obama levels. A partial quote:

EDIT: I changed the thread title so people wouldn't think it was about the retail shop.

I don't think you are behind the curve. Two years ago, when I saw what China was doing in buying up all scrap metal in sight, I decided to look for sales all over the place and purchase what I could afford at the time. Stocked up on all factory ammo in various calibers. This had nothing to do with politics or current elections....just saw the "raw material" market drying up. The current election only made things worse.

Have not had to buy any ammo in the last two years, and will most likely not have to for the forseeable future. I'm fine. Grin, am not a hoarder...I use what I have....but the key is HAVING it to use. Am damn glad I did what I did at the time....even though my wife balked at the cases. She has since seen the light. [grin]

My brother lives in 'the mountains' along the south carolina/Georgia border and has neighbors that have been burying as much .223 and .45 ammo as possible in their back 40's. He says that .223 is going for so much down there that he's all but hung up his black rifles for the summer because it'll make him poor to shoot it.

These are the same kind of people that bought a bushmaster off of him that he picked up in Michigan for $700 at the rate of $1500 because they feared of Obama forcing a mandatory registration. It's off the records due to SC state law and now buried in a bag of machine grease in a pvc pipe 12 feet under the ground somewhere.

Along with 5k rounds. I only wish I was joking.

It's not just down South.
My family & friends in PA are doing the.
FtF sales are not regulated and everyone is buying off the books and stashing weapons and ammo.
I see the wisdom in the plan.

Back
Top Bottom