Am I "WRONG" for wanting to buy a gun at DICK'S?

So I have my 1st pistol ( Ruger sr9 ) I have a "plinking" pistol on order ( Ruger MKIII 22/45 in 5.5 barrel ) Have my shotgun ( Fabarm Red Lion 12 ga, my favorite purchase yet!!!! ) I'm now after a bolt action rifle chambered in .308 I've been on the lookout for a Savage Arms w/ a accutrigger But I just shot a friends Remington 700 sps .308 that came with a cheap scope from Dicks. He paid $599.99 3 weeks ago, I just saw it on sale for $499.99. Any thoughts? Is it "wrong" to buy from Dicks and not support the local dealer?

Dicks has good deals on the Remingtons and Savages. They tend to alternate which is on sale. Remington one month, Savage the next. If you can get it for close to the same price at a real shop, save yourself the headache of Dicks - depending where you are, people have had a hard time as the sales people TEND not to be too knowledgeable (not all...)

I have no trouble with the concept of buying a gun from Dicks. I think it is good for us to have major retailers in the firearms business. I just wish they took it more seriously and had more salespeople that actually know about guns.

It sucks, I'm new ( gun owner ) and I know more than most of the employees!! The other thing that worries me is "exclusive" models..... I think the 700 SPS is the same as any gun store except the green stock ( vs blk ) Anyone have any knowledge on this?

It's not "wrong" to try and save money. If you have principles then you won't shop at places which tend to violate those principles, whether it's 2A, labor practices or whatever.

Personally I buy most of my non FTF guns from Stateline in Mason, NH. I probably paid less than going rate on some stuff and a tad more on others, but the service is so impeccable I'm happy to reward it with my business rather than squeeze that last extra nickel.

It's like buying 100% American-made goods. I've no desire to enrich Chinese manufacturers. Given a choice I stay away from places that focus on those imports (walmart) But then again, if money is tight enough that I can't afford the extra few bucks, I'll go to the guy with the lowest price.

I bought the Remington .308 2 weeks ago for $499 and love it scope isn"t bad, it's a 4x12x40. Eventually I will upgrade but it works. As for supporting your local dealer I tried and it is atleast $150 more and does not come with any scope, mount or rings. Also it does include Leupold scope mounts. If you have any other questions I will try to answer them.
Dan K

Dicks in Concord NH

There is one guy who works the Lodge counter at Dick's in Concord who really knows his stuff. He's a shooter and also works at a range. I've had many a long chat with him about firearms. Good guy!

It's not "wrong" to try and save money. If you have principles then you won't shop at places which tend to violate those principles, whether it's 2A, labor practices or whatever.

Personally I buy most of my non FTF guns from Stateline in Mason, NH. I probably paid less than going rate on some stuff and a tad more on others, but the service is so impeccable I'm happy to reward it with my business rather than squeeze that last extra nickel.

It's like buying 100% American-made goods. I've no desire to enrich Chinese manufacturers. Given a choice I stay away from places that focus on those imports (walmart) But then again, if money is tight enough that I can't afford the extra few bucks, I'll go to the guy with the lowest price.

State Line and Blue Northern are the two places I shop. Great guys in both shops!! I've been to just about every shop in the state and I still end up back at one of those 2 (I've been to FSguns twice trying to buy and was not so impressed ) My problem is I have $xxxx.xx left to spend and 3 more guns I want. ( plus ammo and probably reloading supplies )

I heard a horror story about some guy who bought a rifle at Dick's and it was the wrong one. They didn't let him see it until he bought it and then refused to return it or something like that. I think it was maybe 1-2 weeks ago.

If you buy it, make sure it actually has the trigger you want.

I have no problem buying from Dick's. I'd rather buy from a local dealer, but it doesn't make sense to spend a significant amount of extra money somewhere else.

One problem with trying to save money at Dick's is waiting at the counter for an hour while the one salesman is out back rubbin one out.

Seriously, I have gone there 3 times in the last month to buy ammo only to walk out after waiting forever. One other customer even lost his cool and started droppin f-bombs at the manager for not having enough help on duty. The one time I did buy ammo, they tried to tell me the sale advertized only applied to 20 gauge (I was buying 12). I had to go back upstairs, wait for the same nitwit to come down and tell the cashier she was wrong.

One thing about buying at places like Dick's, they will send you to manufacturer if there is a warranty issue. I've bought accessories, supplies, and a pellet gun there.

A dealer will look it over, work with you sometimes if you bought a gun and had a problem.

I've found decent help at Dick's, Bass Pro.

Dana

I've had good luck at Dick's. Have bought both large quantities of ammo and a couple firearms. Always was able to handle the firearm and inspect it. There was always a knowledgeable salesperson helping me out, pointing out sales and rebates and describing differences between firearms. My experience comes from the Dick's Sporting Goods in Taunton, Dartmouth, Keene, and Hadley. I also have never had to wait.
They have a policy that no firearms can be returned. They must go back to the manufacturer if there is a problem. So don't go in, hold a firearm for one second and buy it without knowing what you are getting.

I do not think you are wrong if you buy from DSG.

I go where the deals are. If Dicks has something at a better price, I'll buy it. There are some advantages to being a big chain store: sales, discounts, etc. However I find the WTS section here or your local gun store the best bet for guns.

With that said, the only thing I've bought at Dicks in the past few months was another gun safe.

I think it's important to buy from Dick's, when it makes sense (price, service, etc).

The last thing we need is for a major retailer to stop selling guns. If no one buys there, they will.

I heard a horror story about some guy who bought a rifle at Dick's and it was the wrong one. They didn't let him see it until he bought it and then refused to return it or something like that. I think it was maybe 1-2 weeks ago.

Since they MUST verify the serial # on the actual gun sold, it sound's more like the individual buying the gun may not have been paying attention when the box was open.

I bought a 10/22 at Dicks in Saugus (all I actually wanted was the reciever and bolt) because the price was right. What a PITA, I'll just go to 4 Seasons and pay the difference next time. They had extra forms to fill out (Dicks own forms) had to have a manager come and verify all the paperwork the clerk had filled out. It took more than an hour and my backgound check went right thru.

It sucks, I'm new ( gun owner ) and I know more than most of the employees!! The other thing that worries me is "exclusive" models..... I think the 700 SPS is the same as any gun store except the green stock ( vs blk ) Anyone have any knowledge on this?

The green stock is not a Dick's exclusive. My local gunshop has a couple green ones with the triangle barrel and brake. Don't know the price.

The green stock is not a Dick's exclusive. My local gunshop has a couple green ones with the triangle barrel and brake. Don't know the price.

thats NOT the same model, I WISH that one was $499!!! that model is the VTR the one at Dicks is a SPS I believe there a $400 list price differance.....

I think the only thing "dick's exclusive" is some of the packages they sell. I'd bet if you called a good shop they'd order whatever you want.

i've worked for the Dicks in Leominster since it opened. I too am hesitant with buying guns from our other stores. I've been into some other ones and the people behind the counter didn't know shit. but for $9.00 an hour there isn't exactly a line of gunsmiths and armorers waiting for a job. also its kinda hard keeping an eye on the counter when you have to cover the whole department by yourself. if any of you guys need help just find anyone and have them page a lodge associate to the gun counter. and finally, most of our ammo prices suck. i get all my round at walmart. if you ever buy a gun from us give it a good look over before we box it up. we have had some associates leave our gun locks on the firearm or even put the wrong firearm in the wrong box. shit happens unfortunately.

.308 IS fun[smile] it's been a while since i shot my .308, so i went to my range just to shoot off a few rounds.

I had never shot a long gun before ( well, except my 12 ga ) I got home from the range and my wife asked " how did it go? " my response was simple, " thats not a rifle, thats artilery!" that 1st round was a bit of a shock!

I will say thats the one and most likely only gun I will purchase from Dicks, the guy running " the lodge" was very nice but also the only one working ( not his fault ) It was a 45 second decision to take the gun, I left over and hour and 15 min later! Not to mention the dirty looks from a few of the cashiers, one asking me very seriously if I was going to " shoot the neighbors " And how she had never been around "scary" guns (not knowing she was 24" from the 9mm on my hip )

Did you find any ammo in West Boylston? [smile]

I didnt stop. I still had the rifle in my truck when I passed there, and I'm not a very big fan of leaving a firearm in a vehicle out of my sight ( I'm I just paranoid? ) I usually swing thru that area on tues or wed

Back
Top Bottom