Am I OK

DavidC77

NES Life Member
NES Member
Just wondering and need an answer.

I am thinking of making the trip up to the Sigarms plant in NH. Now I'm in Mass, I will be travling through VT and NH. Does VT and NH allow me to travel with my guns (CC or not CCed) through there states under my Mass Class A.

Anyone know ???

Most states allow travel with firearms as long as they are cased and locked in the trunk of your vehicle,NH is easy to get a CCW
permit. Vermont doesn't require a permit to carry concealed,but I don't know if you're allowed to carry concealed as you are not a VT resident. Call the Vt state police and ask what they require to do so

New Hampshire is something like $20 and it took 5 days door to door. Just pick it up and you will be covered.

New Hampshire is something like $20 and it took 5 days door to door. Just pick it up and you will be covered.

I agree. It is not required unless you are going to CC. You can open carry if you are so inclined without the license.

If you are taking them locked in the trunk, then you have no problem in either state.

Highlander's comment is correct, but requires some clarification: You must be legal in the state where you are heading and you must be passing through, not vacationing along the way.

Matt

Actually, you must be legal to possess the gun(s) in BOTH the state of origin and the destination state. The gun(s) must be locked in a case or trunk, w/o ammo, which must be separately stored.

NOTE: Do NOT keep loaded magazines. Some states deem a loaded magazine to be a loaded gun!

NOTE: Do NOT keep loaded magazines. Some states deem a loaded magazine to be a loaded gun!

I don't question your advice.. but I must say I find it somewhat humorous that they could think that.

Just imagine what would happen at an IDPA match where the range is suppposed to be cold (no loaded guns)??? No loaded mags anywhere? [rofl]

Both the clarifications to highlander's post seem to be based on the federal rules in FOPA. Regardless of the requirements of FOPA a large number of states (I don't know for certain whether "most" would be accurate.) do allow people to transport unloaded firearms in a locked case. This would be the case in all three northern New England states. Vermont allows concealed carry, while New Hampshire and Maine both allow open carry, though not necessarily in a vehicle.

Ken

Please do remember that most states are not like Mass and require no permit for mere possession. You probably want to lock it in a case or put it in the trunk but otherwise you are all set.

Vermont's laws allow for concealed carry for anyone who goes there, not just residents.

Just imagine what would happen at an IDPA match where the range is suppposed to be cold (no loaded guns)??? No loaded mags anywhere? [rofl]

In what way, shape, manner or form is competing in a match at a range remotely relevant to transporting firearms in a vehicle? [rolleyes]

Thanks All.

I will check with the State LEOs just to be safe.

I'm not looking at a tour persay, but that would be great. I'm thinking about going up if they have something like S&Ws shooting center, plus I'm on there mailing list and I'm thinking about maybe doing a few of the classes they offer.

I am mainly thinking of buying a P220 in 45 or 40. My gun shop here has one (in 9 though) with the Crimson Trace grips on it where they are wrap around style with the switchs on the side instead of the front (I really like that idea), so I wanted to go there and try one before I bought it.

Thanks Again

AFAIK, they do have a shooting center . . . I think it is in Exeter, NH.

The "loaded mag" = "loaded gun" BS is true in some states. It is NOT true in MA, NH, or VT however and thus you don't have to unload your mags traveling thru those states.

Back
Top Bottom