• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Am I just a pansy? Holy cow.

Some M&P mags (the "new and improved models") simply will not take the tenth round. I had the same problem and had to trim the follower to make room for the last round.

the neutered 10rd M&P 9 mags are nightmare.
need uplula mag loader

can shave off bottom of follower this helps load the 10th round a bit easier.

All my M&P's had this issue when first purchased. Took a few rounds to loosen up the springs. My 9C was the worst and took 200+ rounds before I could load 10 unassisted.

I disassembled my m&p9c mags and took my dremel tool to the bottom of the follower legs.

If you look at the follower it looks like a little footstool. Shave off the legs so the follower has a flat bottom.

Fill the mags & let em sit a bit to help break in the spring.

In time & with an Uplula, filling thèm is easy.

Last edited:
I disassembled my m&p9c mags and took my dremel tool to the bottom of the follower legs.

If you look at the follower it looks like a little footstool. Shave off the legs so the follower has a flat bottom.

Fill the mags & let em sit a bit to help break in the spring.

In time & with an Uplula, filling thèm is easy.

Exactly this

wolff gunsprings makes springs for the M&P mags. i've never tried them but their springs tend to compress to shorter length than most OEM mags, which makes fitting the 10th round easier. their springs for the M&P 45 are absolutely fantastic. I replace all my M&P45 mags with their springs. the OEM springs suck.

if anyone has tried the 9mm wolff mag springs I would be interested to hear experiences.

these ones:
https://www.gunsprings.com/SMITH & WESSON/M&P SERIES - 9mm, .40/.357 /cID1/mID58/dID262#1004

No offense, but you must be a pencil pusher/desk jockey. I can't use mag loaders. My thumb pushes down the round below just fine. Never had a problem with my sheild, or any other 9 in my stable, although very few are limited to 10rnd.

With the recent neutered 10rd mags, getting 10 rounds loaded is a tight fit. I don't use mag loaders either. Doesn't have shit to do with strength. When inserting a loaded 10rd mag into the M&P9 with the slide closed, the force required to seat the mag is ridiculous. The spring tension isn't the factor -- it's the limited room available to accommodate the magazine's contents. Likely the result of some overzealous compliance factoring.

Had a Sig P226 and I had the same problem. Sig told me to leave them loaded for two weeks and then try them. Six weeks later I sent them back and they sent me two news ones that worked better. The tenth round was so tight in the mag, the slide would not go forward when I hit the release, the round would not chamber.

Try loading 14 rounds of .45 acp, like I do for the Para. You end up with thumbs like Arnold Schwarzenegger!

Don't be a girly-man. Thumb up.

It is the full-size M&P 9. I do notice that there doesn't seem to be any place for the round to push -downward- on the follower. The shape of the follower's ramp seems to want to make most of the pressing-down force of a cartridge jam the follower sideways, which can't be helping with the stiff spring. I used my pinky to jam the follower down to get the first round under the retaining tabs (what are those called?), and it went slightly easier after that, until round 8 and 9.

Noticed the same thing last night.. I turned the mag so that the follower was angled up away from me, and was able to push out and down. Seems like a lot of people can't get that 10th round in.. I had no real issues with that. I had a harder time getting the first round in LOL.

I will pick up a Maglula ASAP though.

Back
Top Bottom