• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Already made plans for turkey hunting! Anyone else getting ready?

28" modified choke is what would be used. I was thinking maybe #4 shot or BB shot, but can't find BB, but I might have #4 on the shelf.

Gotta find a place to go. I know where there are tons of turkeys, but all are off limits.

28" modified choke is what would be used. I was thinking maybe #4 shot or BB shot, but can't find BB, but I might have #4 on the shelf.

Gotta find a place to go. I know where there are tons of turkeys, but all are off limits.

Can't use bb.....from the regs see below:

Shotgun: No larger than 10 gauge using #4-#7 shot.

You should be considering a full or extra full choke. Your target is the head up to 30-40 yards......needs to be a dense pattern.

Been seeing a ton of turkeys driving to and from work. Yeah, I know, it's mating season. But they're everywhere it seems! On the way home yesterday had two different small groups run right in front of our car.

Mild winter seems to have helped the local wildlife population.

I attended the calling class last night at the F&G HQ in Westboro.
The instructors said there was 40 people there total, 12 in my group for slate/pot call instruction.
Pretty basic stuff geared for new hunters but I picked up a couple tips.
Nice people and I joined the NWTF while I was there..........

I attended the calling class last night at the F&G HQ in Westboro.
The instructors said there was 40 people there total, 12 in my group for slate/pot call instruction.
Pretty basic stuff geared for new hunters but I picked up a couple tips.
Nice people and I joined the NWTF while I was there..........

cool.. now come to the banquet on 4/26 in Bellingham.. $30 for NWTF members :):)

I've never had any luck hunting turkeys though I've tried more than a few times. I found that pretty much all the turkeys local to me roost in areas that cannot be legally hunted. So basically I just gave up several seasons ago and just stuck with what I know... waterfowl, pheasant and deer.

Just the other morning about 7am, I saw a Tom and a hen walking out of a small piece of woods near my neighborhood that I know is legal to hunt. I'd been through this small, triangle shaped area several times looking for sign in the past couple years but I never saw anything. I'm going to drag out all the turkey gear again, pattern my gun and give it a try again. I know several guys who are absolutely addicted to turkey hunting. They love it. I can see why. Considering how stupid these birds seem to be, they are extremely aware of their surroundings at all times! The one time I thought I may have a chance at a bird years back, the bastard busted me because I cleared my throat as quietly as I could.

I've been successful with the 20 gauge full choke in the past with turkey. I am, however, interested in longer range capabilities. I picked up a Carlson longbeard xr turkey choke yesterday for my Mossberg 500 12 gauge. I have some older boxes of Winchester 3 inch turkey loads in the safe so tomorrow I'll pattern those at 40-50 yards and see what I get. My 20 gauges worth 3 inch Magnum shells I get 30-35 yards.......hoping to get a good pattern put to 50 with the turkey choke and copper played shot. Tomorrow I'll know more. Hope my shoulder holds up lol.

Search Results for Mucks at Tractor Supply Co.

Muck boots on sale at TSC. I love mine for turkey hunting... actually for anything. I wear them all the time.

I'm not a fan. I like the boots as a boot - but their durability is awful. I've had 3 pairs now that didn't make it 2 whitetail seasons. The cement holding the sole to the boot failed and the soul pealed off... Too bad because I want to like them. The fit around my leg better than any other boot. I've switched back to a lace-up with gaiters.

..............my turkey hunts always end up turning into whitetail scouting treks through the woods with the occasional turkey call thrown out... Never bagged a bird. I should actually try this year. But something clicks in my head when I'm in the woods. All I can think about is chasing whitetail.

Heading to one of my clubs tomorrow to pattern the 11-87. I bought that gun used back in '11. It was already set up as someone's turkey gun (safety sticker on it, painted woodland colors, and a full choke was seized in place and took days of soaking in Kroil to remove it) It was a pretty decent deal at $500. I stripped it down and painted it with more duck blind friendly colors, and it was my waterfowl gun from '11 until last year when I replaced it with a new Winchester SX4 (awesome duck gun by the way).

So I have one of those magnetic clip-on fiber optic front sights for the 11-87 that snaps on over the factory front bead. Anyone every have any issues with those? I can see where it probably wouldn't hold up well on a gun used for crashing through woods on a deer drive, but for turkey it should do just fine I think. I'll be surprised if I even get a shot anyhow, considering my luck with turkey hunting. ;)

Where I live, there are so many turkeys that you can walk up to them and hit them with a rock or a stick.

Can swing a dead cat and not hit one.

Who needs a gun?

Heading to one of my clubs tomorrow to pattern the 11-87. I bought that gun used back in '11. It was already set up as someone's turkey gun (safety sticker on it, painted woodland colors, and a full choke was seized in place and took days of soaking in Kroil to remove it) It was a pretty decent deal at $500. I stripped it down and painted it with more duck blind friendly colors, and it was my waterfowl gun from '11 until last year when I replaced it with a new Winchester SX4 (awesome duck gun by the way).

So I have one of those magnetic clip-on fiber optic front sights for the 11-87 that snaps on over the factory front bead. Anyone every have any issues with those? I can see where it probably wouldn't hold up well on a gun used for crashing through woods on a deer drive, but for turkey it should do just fine I think. I'll be surprised if I even get a shot anyhow, considering my luck with turkey hunting. ;)
Have faith! Took me 4 seasons and I finally connected last year.

Last edited:
I went out today....saw a red fox on the way in....then at 6AM I got to watch a coyote SLOWLY walk around sniff the area. After a while it came up the hill and got quite the surprise to see me sitting there 10 yards away! :p
I left when it started to rain...no turkeys seen/heard while hunting...but noticed 3 jakes in my neighbor's yard! :(

I got a spot, forgot to ask MA wildlife for a sticker. Anyone got a spare sheet?

I had one I was going to put on my other shotgun for this season but I'm not going to get out due to health issues so it's yours if you want it. PM me your address and I will put it out in the main tomorrow morning.

Bob

so I'm fairly new at this... what time do you all get out there? before sunrise? If I get out there for 8am is it too late?
I shot my bird last year at 10am. But.....your most successful turkey hunters get em at first light when they fly down from the roost. I do start well before sunup.

so I'm fairly new at this... what time do you all get out there? before sunrise? If I get out there for 8am is it too late?
By 8am I'm moving spots. I get in before dark. Early season thats pretty damn early...4:45? Most of my birds I've bagged at around 7-7:30.

Took my Mossberg 500 out today to pattern some loads with a new choke. Carlson longbeard xr turkey choke.

Used a 10 inch black circle for all.

25 yards all were were and centered and of course would have ruined a Tom's head.

50 yards all #6 shot all 3 inch shells

Remington nitro turkey 36 pellets in circle
Winchester xx 39 pellets in circle
Winchester long beard xr 63 pellets in circle

The choice is quite clear! Heading out next week on the 10th confirmed but may get sick on the 8th lol.

FE914EF0-56CC-4149-A0F9-2EA7D0B04545.jpeg They are taunting me. They are everywhere I can’t shoot them around here. I see several walking around the parking lot where I work every day.

The other morning I was laying in bed with the windows open and I heard one gun shot not too far from me. Not exactly sure which direction but there isn’t a lot of land near me that’s huntable.

Giving up yet again, and gearing up for Striper fishing.

View attachment 232424 They are taunting me. They are everywhere I can’t shoot them around here. I see several walking around the parking lot where I work every day.

The other morning I was laying in bed with the windows open and I heard one gun shot not too far from me. Not exactly sure which direction but there isn’t a lot of land near me that’s huntable.

Giving up yet again, and gearing up for Striper fishing.
Good luck on them stripers. At least spring is finally here. Looks like I'm only going to get 2 days to try for turkey this season......hope the wife and I can get one or two but if not no big deal. We always have a good time out there no matter what. What happens in the blind stays in the blind ;)

The main reason I never really tried very hard for turkey is that I hate hunting in warm weather. I would rather hunt in 25 degrees than 75 degrees.

But yeah, other reasons I always say F it with turkey hunting are: Striper fishing starts. Ticks are everywhere. All the pistol competition stuff is at full swing again. The old Mustang convertible comes back out after winter slumber. And I just plain suck at turkey hunting. Haha.

No luck today. With about an hour left my box call stopped working... I think I need to put some of that chalk on it or something... I still kept at it with the tom call for the final hour but no luck. I got a bird to call back at one point. It was far. I tried closing the distance but he went silent. Otherwise uneventful.

Back
Top Bottom