Almost had a real bad day

I think this is one of those "difference between theory and practice" problems.

I (quickly) copied the SAAMI specs for 223REM and 300AAC into CAD. The orange line is the 300 cartridge; the green is the 223 chamber. In theory it shouldn't load...
View attachment 605594
Now, change the profile of the bullet a little, set it a little deep, or any of a handful of other issues, and it "might fit."

Worse still, if your bullet is not sitting on top of powder, you might even be able to set it back just from the closing of the bolt. I'm not accusing the OP of the following, but I'm sure occasionally a user might employ their forward assist to make sure it goes...

Good info there.

Definitely a theory versus reality thing, if you see this video you note he chambers it up no problem and kabooms on the first trigger pull.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbfIkaNlECo

Good info there.

Definitely a theory versus reality thing, if you see this video you note he chambers it up no problem and kabooms on the first trigger pull. He does mention that subsonic ammo will not chamber, I don't think we can rely on that but seems like the lighter stuff may be the most "compatible".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbfIkaNlECo

The 300 Whisper round (predecessor to 300AAC) was developed for subs, so they were using heavy bullets and every last bit of space for powder. So that makes a lot of sense.

Supers use lighter projectiles; so there are potentially thinner profiles, and less interference with the powder charge. This conversation got me to search around real quickly, here's a visual comparison of some commercial 300AAC cartridges
300-blackout-ammo-comparison-5.jpg

(someday I might feel compelled to drop a couple of these into the same overlay, but not today)

As you may know I’m in real estate and obviously my beautiful face is my money maker. So friendly reminder to not be an idiot.

First mag of the day at a 2 day sig course, this was the 2nd to last round in the mag.

.300blk round made its way into my .223 ammo can and I wasn’t paying attention when loading my mag. Sure as shit paid attention after this.

They gave me a loaner gun, and after being shaken for the rest of the morning finished out the day strong.

Go ahead, flame away. I deserve it.
Your AR looks a little swollen. Hopefully it feels better soon.

The 300 Whisper round (predecessor to 300AAC) was developed for subs, so they were using heavy bullets and every last bit of space for powder. So that makes a lot of sense.

Supers use lighter projectiles; so there are potentially thinner profiles, and less interference with the powder charge. This conversation got me to search around real quickly, here's a visual comparison of some commercial 300AAC cartridges
300-blackout-ammo-comparison-5.jpg

(someday I might feel compelled to drop a couple of these into the same overlay, but not today)

I edited my post there after watching the video again. I think the video maker actually was saying he thought you stood a better chance of squeezing a lighter round through the barrel and that statement I made was incorrect as far as chambering subsonic versus lighter ammo - maybe they all do, maybe not, but isn't what the guy in the video said anyway.

This is why I got rid of the 1 300 blk upper I had. It doesn't do anything I'll ever need any better than 5.56, and if you shoot a lot it is too easy to blow up a gun making that mistake.

I think the only way to do it is visibly mark seperate mags for 300blk only and keep them in seperate .50 cal cans marked for .300blk only and keep the ammo marked and seperated also and never deviate from the system you put in place.

I (quickly) copied the SAAMI specs for 223REM and 300AAC into CAD. The orange line is the 300 cartridge; the green is the 223 chamber. In theory it shouldn't load...
View attachment 605594
Now, change the profile of the bullet a little, set it a little deep, or any of a handful of other issues, and it "might fit."

Worse still, if your bullet is not sitting on top of powder, you might even be able to set it back just from the closing of the bolt. I'm not accusing the OP of the following, but I'm sure occasionally a user might employ their forward assist to make sure it goes...
Just looking at that comparison, this looks like a recipe for disaster. I cannot imagine that the powder would fill the case volume so much that it would prevent the bullet from being seated deeper into the case. Even a very tight crimp would probably not prevent the bullet from seating deeper during the normal operation of the gun. I've had one brand of bullets (.45 SWC, don't remember the brand but they come in a wood box) that would seat deeper if you just looked at them the wrong way regardless of crimp.

The YouTuber FortuneCookie45LC found out that 454 Casull cartridges would fit in his S&W Model 25. The whole idea was that the longer cases of the 454 Casull would prevent it, same as with 357M versus 38SP, but with a good crimp on the 454 Casull cartridges, the slightly spacious charge holes in the Model 25 will accept. Would be a bad day to fire it. FortuneCookie45LC did not. I don't know how he found out. Possibly he was demonstrating for somebody that they weren't supposed to fit and discovered that they actually did.

View attachment 605594

I didn’t touch the forward assist, this was in like a 4 or 5 round succession. I kinda wish it had caused a malfunction cause I would’ve instinctively evaluated it. Everything functioned fine until that round.... didn’t.

This is why I got rid of the 1 300 blk upper I had. It doesn't do anything I'll ever need any better than 5.56, and if you shoot a lot it is too easy to blow up a gun making that mistake.

I think the only way to do it is visibly mark seperate mags for 300blk only and keep them in seperate .50 cal cans marked for .300blk only and keep the ammo marked and seperated also and never deviate from the system you put in place.

I’ve decided to ditch my 300blk upper and ammo too.

I have done something similar with a stock certificate for KOPN. Dotcom boom era stock that cratered. Instead of harvesting the tax loss, I had them mail me the stock certificate when I closed my account, and hung it on the wall as a reminder that stocks don't always go up.
you ain't kidding... I'd run out of wall if I did that with all of 'em

I don't really think it was a smart move to of made 300blk that interchangeable with 5.56x45. Tons of people have blown up guns and there's no doubt in anyone's mind that it's going to keep happening. Shit happens. And people regularly, and I mean regularly mix up ammo like this. Everything is interchangeable until you pull the trigger. i think that's a little silly.

skinflints will skinflint, though. Which is why its so interchangeable.

Skinflints aren't buying guns or bbls to shoot ~70 cpr .300blk to begin with

As you may know I’m in real estate and obviously my beautiful face is my money maker. So friendly reminder to not be an idiot.

First mag of the day at a 2 day sig course, this was the 2nd to last round in the mag.

.300blk round made its way into my .223 ammo can and I wasn’t paying attention when loading my mag. Sure as shit paid attention after this.

They gave me a loaner gun, and after being shaken for the rest of the morning finished out the day strong.

Go ahead, flame away. I deserve it.
Almost did that once by grabbing a magazine of 300 BO instead of the 223. Now the magazines are well marked with bright electrical tape.

300BO is fantastic suppressed. The only problem it that it's so quiet it won't trip shot timers making it unusable in competitive events.

I didn’t touch the forward assist, this was in like a 4 or 5 round succession. I kinda wish it had caused a malfunction cause I would’ve instinctively evaluated it. Everything functioned fine until that round.... didn’t.
I 100% believe you. It sounded from your posts like everything behaved as expected, until it didn't. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was implying otherwise, and would be happy to edit my post to make that more clear.

I 100% believe you. It sounded from your posts like everything behaved as expected, until it didn't. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was implying otherwise, and would be happy to edit my post to make that more clear.

Nah no worries just wanted to clarify what my happened in my circumstance. I’m a rare NES’r, I’m virtually unoffendable.

Despite everything functioning as it should I still f***** up and completely own up to it.

The worst case scenario that’s running through my head is this situation happening but I loaded the mag and handed the gun to someone else, especially a new shooter or something.

So if my f*** up can keep one person on their toes next time out then I’ll take it.

You're going to summon me one day without that conjuring circle, and then it's on.

Anyhow, the bands don't go on each round. @Malodave gave those 300blk tag bands out, very cool, but misloading a round not going to be stopped by that. Eyes on the prize.

We regularly see some 9 brass on our range clearly bulged from the wrong chamber, whether from being in a .40S&W gun or .357Sig.
recently found some 10mm brass that seems to have been shot through a 45ACP. I wonder what the shooter's experience was, but not enough to try it in my own.

(BTW guyz, "300BO" sounds like a ham radio operator's nickname -
not an ammo caliber).

You're going to summon me one day without that conjuring circle, and then it's on.
I know nothing of that,
but I have read the eponymous story in this book:
ConvergentSeries.jpg

So treat me right,
or your disappearance could be marked by nought but a tiny squeaking noise.
⭐

Anyhow, the bands don't go on each round. @Malodave gave those 300blk tag bands out, very cool, but misloading a round not going to be stopped by that. Eyes on the prize.
Oh, I always thought the bands were labels for the mags themselves -
not some kind of of hack to keep ammo from chambering in the wrong gun.

Oh, I always thought the bands were labels for the mags themselves -
not some kind of of hack to keep ammo from chambering in the wrong gun.
Well, right, but OP: ".300blk round made its way into my .223 ammo can and I wasn’t paying attention when loading my mag."

ETA:
recently found some 10mm brass that seems to have been shot through a 45ACP. I wonder what the shooter's experience was, but not enough to try it in my own.
While we're on the subject, SAAMI used to publish (404 now) a document on common unsafe mis-chamberings. It's gone (was up a year ago) but looks like someone put much of it into Wikipedia:

Last edited:
Well, right, but OP: ".300blk round made its way into my .223 ammo can and I wasn’t paying attention when loading my mag."
[thumbsup] No contest.

While we're on the subject, SAAMI used to publish (404 now) a document on common unsafe mis-chamberings. It's gone (was up a year ago) ...
And it hasn't even merely moved someplace visible (i.e., Google-indexed) elsewhere on saami.org.

Perhaps SAAMI were overwhelmed with them negative waves,
and decided that rather than trying to enumerate all the failure modes,
they'd be legally on firmer ground by just publicising valid mixenmatches:

SAAMI: Generally Accepted Firearms and Ammunition Interchangeability

Just my idle speculation, but seems plausible on several levels.

... but looks like someone put much of it into Wikipedia:
Just wait; some rat bastard hoplophobe will delete it wholesale as Not Encyclopedic in 3...2...1...

Back
Top Bottom