Almost had a real bad day

@NH_Realtor

i also thought I was immune to such mistakes until I ran 9mm through a Glock 32 (357 Sig). It ran fine but my thought was “damn this ammo is weak.” Thankfully no damage occurred but it opened my eyes to these types of mis-chambering that can occur to anyone. for this reason I am very cautious about 300 blk use. i use dedicated magpul 300 blk magazines and have them laser engraved “300 blk” on both sides. My 300 blk upper is clearly labeled. even with these extra checks in place, it’s still easy for the wrong mags to fine their way into a 223 or 300 blk rifle. I rarely shoot 300 blk but this past weekend I wanted my old man to experience suppressed subsonic 300 blk and I was paranoid about keeping mags separated, double checking, etc. Ultimately I’m just a 223 whore at heart so my use of 300 blk is extremely limited.

like everyone else has commented, I’m glad you’re ok!

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I will ask it anyway.
I assume that 300 black out means the diameter of the bullet is .300, if that is the case, how does it chamber in a .223 diameter chamber?

This would be a fantastic wall piece to hang up for conversations/reminder!
I have done something similar with a stock certificate for KOPN. Dotcom boom era stock that cratered. Instead of harvesting the tax loss, I had them mail me the stock certificate when I closed my account, and hung it on the wall as a reminder that stocks don't always go up.

Same diameter cases and shorter so it fits.
Same diameter cartridge, but the bullet is wider, so you have a too big bullet going down (or trying to go down) a smaller barrel. Both are bottlenecks, but the .223 is MORE bottlenecked. I think. Not an expert.

Same diameter cartridge, but the bullet is wider, so you have a too big bullet going down (or trying to go down) a smaller barrel. Both are bottlenecks, but the .223 is MORE bottlenecked. I think. Not an expert.
And? The larger diameter bullet will certainly plug but I was answering how it chambers.

Cute you think your face makes money

Kidding glad your okay

Bet your glad you didnt skimp on the recievers

You’re right, it actually costs me money as I keep getting my wife pregnant 😂

But yeah, was definitely glad I had a quality upper and bcg (all BCM)

View attachment 605377
But in all honesty shit happens. Know a few buddies that have had some close calls for one reason or another. Fun shit generally comes with an aspect of danger. Pansies need not apply. Glad you're ok.
Um.....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkz7bnYfuOI

That said, glad you're OK, OP.

I started a thread about correct ammo selection, when a new-to-the game shooter showed up for Trap, with BB-shot 3 1/2" ammo, and a 3" chamber O/U.

Gotta be careful, 100% of the time.

Where’d the bullet go? Glad you’re ok!

Very glad you are OK, @NH_Realtor . Appreciate you posting this as a reminder to the rest of us knuckleheads.

+1 Where did the bullet go?

I can only presume it’s stuck in the barrel. Charging handle won’t budge and the rear takedown pin only moved about 1/4” inch so I can’t get the upper and lower apart. Front takedown pin moved out as it should but now won’t go back into place.

I’ll try to take it apart Wednesday or Thursday and post updates when I can, day 2 of the class is tomorrow and gotta be extra diligent. Last thing I wanna do is buy a sig rifle cause I blew that up too!

Glad you're OK

This is the one reason I ever doubt the 300BO pistol I'm building. It's also why the upper is marked, and I'm using a fixed mag. The story I'm telling myself is that I'll only ever bring it or a 223 rifle, never both, on any given trip...

Only reason I have 300blk is cause my friend convinced me to when I built my SBR. I hardly shoot it cause of the cost, but damn if it isn’t just the best to shoot suppressed.

Can’t tell yet, bolt is obviously stuck so can’t separate the lower from the upper but the lower doesn’t appear to be bulged at all.

Looks like the upper receiver and bolt took the brunt of it.

Glad you're ok.......thats an expensive mistake......I bet you wont make it a second time

You buy a lottery ticket yet before your luck runs out?

Glad you're ok.......thats an expensive mistake......I bet you wont make it a second time

You buy a lottery ticket yet before your luck runs out?

I ordered a geissele super duty on Sunday night while getting ready for this course, so I’m gonna say my lottery ticket is that I blew up my backup rifle and not my brand new shiny expensive rifle that hasn’t arrived yet.

Yeah I've steered away from 300blk because of this possibility. Below is a pick of the rounds next to each other. For those unaware a major draw of 300blk is the case is made from a cut down .223 and it uses a standard AR-15 system including the mags. You're basically swapping barrel and bolt only.

proxy-image (3).jpeg

I have blown up a .223 upper. The lower assembly was completely fine and is still my primary rifle.

Last edited:
Scary stuff right there. Worse I have seen is during an Instructor course. My father put a 9mm through his Glock23. No damage to the gun. Stopped the course for a few minutes to inspect the gun. Then, the day went on.

Glad your AR took the beating and not your face or hands.

Back
Top Bottom