• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Al-Quaida's at it again - London hit

SgtUSMC8541 said:
My parents and sister left yesterday to spend the next month at their home just outside London. I just found out that they are safe. RIP to those who were killed and speedy recovery to those who were injured.

Thank heavens for that Sgt.!!

Everyone is cool. And, everyone is entitled to their opinion and entitled to rebut in a respectful manner.

Sgt, thank God your family is safe.

Don't look for me to stir the pot, I was just mentioning that we have more in common than not.

And when I mentioned Libertarian, that's obviously NOT a bad thing. Most of us have Libertarian tendencies in one form or another.

SGT, thank goodness for good news. I think the terrorists have just made the same mistake Japan did in Dec 1941. The British people have a tendency to join together at times like this. I truly believe the terrorists have made a grave error in underestimating English will. So much for trying to lever the British Army OUT of Iraq and Afghanistan. England is NOT Spain or France.

dwarven1 said:
G-d, it's like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

Folks, can we all just step back a bit and cool off?

I think it's more the nerve that was hit, hun, like "they took HOW much out of my check???" [wink] However, when one says that one holds some liberal views in a forum such as this, then one needs to understand the kitchen can get a wee bit warm. We, on the other hand, stand up for what we believe in, and, as long as there's no name calling or flame throwing, then let the sharing of opinions progress. RIGHT everyone? :D

MrsWildweasel said:
And lets not forget what Clinton did to our Military,as to why we have a shortfall.

<insert shiver here> All I can say is thank everything that's devine our boys and girls have a Commander in Chief they respect and like.

If you want to give these "misguided fools" aka terrorists a bit of credit for an average IQ, then hitting London was not designed to affect the British stand. What it will do is affect the thought process of other countries. Why hit 3 or 4 smaller countries when you can hit one and effect many. The English, or should I say the United Kingdom, will only let this effect their stance in being more aggressive in their attack on terrorism. Just seeing the UK, London, take a hit will put fear into other countries. It will give them an excuse to back off in fear.

As for my family, thanks for the well wishes. They will do fine.... come on, besides being English (Well my sister is a Yank, dual citizenship) their son is a US Marine. Shit like that don't faze a true Brit. [lol] Anyway, these AQ shits have a long way to go before they reach the competence and skills of what the IRA had. If we can handle them, we can handle these idiots too. (I say we, ‘cause I still have my red UK passport.)

Get me started on politcian hmmm..... Lets see Glenn has been working without a contract for over 3 years,he's owed 3 years back pay(which we know we'll never see.) They're still trying to negotiate this contract,and since we haven't had a raise either,they also keep upping our health insurance. Owe and when he does get back pay the amount of taxes that are taken out are unbelievable.

MrsWildweasel said:
Get me started on politcian hmmm..... Lets see Glenn has been working without a contract for over 3 years,he's owed 3 years back pay(which we know we'll never see.) They're still trying to negotiate this contract,and since we haven't had a raise either,they also keep upping our health insurance. Owe and when he does get back pay the amount of taxes that are taken out are unbelievable.

Ouch....

The Brits definately take a different stance then we do. Even when we served with them,they viewed being in Berlin as payback to WW2 and treated it as such. They were OCCUPYING. They won't sit idly by either.

Nickle said:
Don't look for me to stir the pot, I was just mentioning that we have more in common than not.

And when I mentioned Libertarian, that's obviously NOT a bad thing. Most of us have Libertarian tendencies in one form or another.

SGT, thank goodness for good news. I think the terrorists have just made the same mistake Japan did in Dec 1941. The British people have a tendency to join together at times like this. I truly believe the terrorists have made a grave error in underestimating English will. So much for trying to lever the British Army OUT of Iraq and Afghanistan. England is NOT Spain or France.

Actually, I'd started my post a few minutes before, so that there are about 3 or 4 posts that showed up above mine that weren't there when I started typing. I was just worried that the tone of the posts started getting a little heated, and didn't want to see everyone losing it.

As for Al-Quaida's Pearl Harbor... I was mentioning this to my coworker tihs morning. He's from south London - and he agrees with you. If the Brits didn't cave when they were getting bombed by Hitler's rockets and the Luftwaffe, what makes Al-quaida think a few IED's will put paid to them? Biiiig mistake. It's just going to make them more determined.

Ross

DVL,

No label will be completely fair: Not all Democrats are left-wing radicals, not all liberals are Democrats, nor are all conservatives Republicans, nor are all Republicans right-wing reactionaries.

Let me make the following observations though:

1. I am a former liberal Democrat. Lived most of my life in MA. Am
now a Republican-leaning independent.

2. I have watched liberal, left-wing politicians in this state raise
my taxes, introduce contradictory and irrational gun laws
that restrict my rights without increasing my safety, and
embarrass me on the public stage, making me regret
that I am a citizen of this Commonwealth. That's just
for starters.

3. True story: not more than two hours ago, I attended a
business meeting and the casual conversation turned
to the London bombings. Within a few minutes, everybody
around the table was making snide comments about
the Patriot Act and pontificating that the only reason we
were in Iraq was because Bush was getting revenge on
behalf of his father. My obvious silence was noticed and
somebody said, quote: "You're not a REPUBLICAN, are
you?!"

Can you imagine what would happen to me and my
employment status if I asked, in the same tone, about
the political leanings of the others there? If I said to
a woman: "You're not a member of NOW, are you??!!"
Or, "You're not an ATHEIST, are you??"

The presumed moral and intellectual superiority of Massachusetts liberal Democrats is, to me, mind-boggling. It has reached the point where it is a danger to the well-being of our society and the security of our nation.

I would also point out that, in my experience at least, when conservatives engage liberals in political discussions, they attempt to discuss the merits of an argument, while liberals often devolve immediately into ad hominem attacks, because the right-wing neanderthal they are facing just can't see the rightness and wisdom of the prevailing left-wing groupthink.

I think because gun-owners tend to get the brunt of liberal Democrat attacks, there is a knee-jerk us vs. them assumption of (liberal=left-wing=Democrat=bad vs. conservative=right-wing=Republican=good). I'm not saying that generalizations like that are right, but they are understandable.

TonyD said:
Well said. However, I'm not sold on the Patriot act either.

Make that TWO of us. I have ZERO use for the Patriot Act. Should've been named the "Treasonous Act". Bad piece of Legislation. The full ramifications won't be known for years.

In fact, just wait until they determine that the NRA and JPFO are "Terrorist Organizations". With the right bozo in the White House, I CAN see this happening. That'll be the day the shooting begins, for sure.

Nickle said:
TonyD said:
Well said. However, I'm not sold on the Patriot act either.

Make that TWO of us. I have ZERO use for the Patriot Act. Should've been named the "Treasonous Act". Bad piece of Legislation. The full ramifications won't be known for years.

Three.

The Patriot Act was a hastily conceived piece of "feel-good" legislation that infringes more on American citizen's rights than it helps keep us "safe" from terrorists. John Adams & company must be spinning right about now.

And now we're going to get more CAMERAS watching us. Why not spend that money (for hardware, software and people to monitor them) on cops on the beat?

Ross

I get so damnmad when people say "Oh, don't be silly. They'd never try to use the Patriot Act for that sort of thing." Right, and I'll respect you in the morning. Almost every time the Patriot Act has been used so far is totally unrelated to terrorism or security, but just a convenient end around all those pesky limitations on police power in run-of-the-mill criminal cases, the same way that RICO gets used for everything but organized crime/racketeering cases. Even if you ignore or disbelieve the actual evidence of how it's being used, you've got to ask yourself one question: even if you trust this administration, would you have the same warm fuzzy feeling if Hillary were to become president, appoint Chuck Schumer as her AG, and stick Bill on the Supreme Court? Well, would you?

Ken

KMaurer said:
... even if you trust this administration, would you have the same warm fuzzy feeling if Hillary were to become president, appoint Chuck Schumer as her AG, and stick Bill on the Supreme Court? Well, would you?

NOW I have a major case of indigestion...and I'll probably have nightmares tonight.

TonyD said:
"Homeland Security". Catchy little title to label your domestic military force.

I just wonder how many of them (us) will actually obey obviously un-Constitutional orders when it's time to deal with the public. I don't know many Guardsmen that'll do "the wrong thing", that is, they'll uphold the Constitution, not the whims of a tyrant.

Back
Top Bottom