Ak gunsmith suggestions

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend a good AK gunsmith not too far from the Woburn/Burlington area? I’ve got a Wasr with some hefty cant in the front sight, and a Mak 90 that is slightly canted as well.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Yeah. My WASR is canted fairly extremely, and I'm over it because it shoots so nicely.

"AK gunsmith." That's almost funny!

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I beat my WASR on a bench to sight it in. Not kidding!
sounds nuts but yeah, people do that.

i saw an article in soldier of fortune years ago where these mujahideen dudes in afghanistan, when the russians were there, were beating the shit out of their front sights with rocks to zero them when the posts were canted. worked like a charm! we don't need no stinkin' gunsmiths!

rocket500

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
it was canted and I had a sight pusher but it wouldnt move the post. So I put the pusher on and smashed it on a bench at the range. Took about 20 hits but the thing is dead nuts on now.

sounds nuts but yeah, people do that.

i saw an article in soldier of fortune years ago where these mujahideen dudes in afghanistan, when the russians were there, were beating the shit out of their front sights with rocks to zero them when the posts were canted. worked like a charm! we don't need no stinkin' gunsmiths!

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
it was canted and I had a sight pusher but it wouldnt move the post. So I put the pusher on and smashed it on a bench at the range. Took about 20 hits but the thing is dead nuts on now.
right, understand. i really had heard of people doing it. rob ski at ak operators union did a vid about doing it a few years ago.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’l give Northeast Arms a call, even though beating my rifles with a 2x4 seems to be a standard method.[smile]
Have you considered putting a red dot sight on the rifle? If the sights hold zero properly and the only thing that's the issue is the cant, a RDS would basically blur out a mild cant if you achieve co-witness.

btnh6668

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I had 3 at one point and sold them. I definitely regret not keeping one now. Always great shooters for the price. No way in hell im paying mass prices for one now. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself then definitely give Northeast a call.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered putting a red dot sight on the rifle? If the sights hold zero properly and the only thing that's the issue is the cant, a RDS would basically blur out a mild cant if you achieve co-witness.
I was planning on an RS regulate mount and microdot for the wasr, but it would bother me to no end knowing that my rifles sights are all out of wack while having a red dot to make up for it. A red dot is definitely a go for me, but I would like to have the irons dialed in first.

Last edited:

warwickben

bubba Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
lol gun smith for a canted sight.... kids these days .

get 3mm punch make it slightly thinner . tap pins out. hit sight with hammer. run drill bit thru holes. hammer pins in . done.
legit had a large group of guys who never fired a ak build them in a day.

daekken

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you can still zero the sights, there is nothing to remedy. Many AKs have some degree of cant. ARs can have cants as well. The only time it's a problem is if it's canted so much that you cannot zero the rifle when the windage is maxed out.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I was planning on an RS regulate mount and microdot for the wasr, but it would bother me to no end knowing that my rifles sights are all out of wack while having a red dot to make up for it. A red dot is definitely a go for me, but I would like to have the irons dialed in first.
is it so far canted your out of adjustment, or does the canted sight just bother you?
I had a WASR also the sight was canted but not enough I could not zero my windage. The sight did bother me a bit .
You could drill a set screw on the bottom off the front sight base remove the sight base pins and adjust the base to your likes. then you can drill slightly larger pin holes and install the corect size pins.
or just run set screw and some green loctite

Last edited:
Top Bottom