Ak gunsmith suggestions

Can anyone recommend a good AK gunsmith not too far from the Woburn/Burlington area? I’ve got a Wasr with some hefty cant in the front sight, and a Mak 90 that is slightly canted as well.

Yeah. My WASR is canted fairly extremely, and I'm over it because it shoots so nicely.

"AK gunsmith." That's almost funny!

I beat my WASR on a bench to sight it in. Not kidding!
sounds nuts but yeah, people do that.

i saw an article in soldier of fortune years ago where these mujahideen dudes in afghanistan, when the russians were there, were beating the shit out of their front sights with rocks to zero them when the posts were canted. worked like a charm! we don't need no stinkin' gunsmiths!

it was canted and I had a sight pusher but it wouldnt move the post. So I put the pusher on and smashed it on a bench at the range. Took about 20 hits but the thing is dead nuts on now.

sounds nuts but yeah, people do that.

i saw an article in soldier of fortune years ago where these mujahideen dudes in afghanistan, when the russians were there, were beating the shit out of their front sights with rocks to zero them when the posts were canted. worked like a charm! we don't need no stinkin' gunsmiths!

it was canted and I had a sight pusher but it wouldnt move the post. So I put the pusher on and smashed it on a bench at the range. Took about 20 hits but the thing is dead nuts on now.
right, understand. i really had heard of people doing it. rob ski at ak operators union did a vid about doing it a few years ago.

I’l give Northeast Arms a call, even though beating my rifles with a 2x4 seems to be a standard method.[smile]

I’l give Northeast Arms a call, even though beating my rifles with a 2x4 seems to be a standard method.[smile]

Have you considered putting a red dot sight on the rifle? If the sights hold zero properly and the only thing that's the issue is the cant, a RDS would basically blur out a mild cant if you achieve co-witness.

I had 3 at one point and sold them. I definitely regret not keeping one now. Always great shooters for the price. No way in hell im paying mass prices for one now. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself then definitely give Northeast a call.

Have you considered putting a red dot sight on the rifle? If the sights hold zero properly and the only thing that's the issue is the cant, a RDS would basically blur out a mild cant if you achieve co-witness.
I was planning on an RS regulate mount and microdot for the wasr, but it would bother me to no end knowing that my rifles sights are all out of wack while having a red dot to make up for it. A red dot is definitely a go for me, but I would like to have the irons dialed in first.

Last edited:
lol gun smith for a canted sight.... kids these days .

get 3mm punch make it slightly thinner . tap pins out. hit sight with hammer. run drill bit thru holes. hammer pins in . done.
legit had a large group of guys who never fired a ak build them in a day.

Paging @Boris

Just give him a bottle of Vodka and whatever you want incorporated into your AK and he will make it happen.

If you can still zero the sights, there is nothing to remedy. Many AKs have some degree of cant. ARs can have cants as well. The only time it's a problem is if it's canted so much that you cannot zero the rifle when the windage is maxed out.

I was planning on an RS regulate mount and microdot for the wasr, but it would bother me to no end knowing that my rifles sights are all out of wack while having a red dot to make up for it. A red dot is definitely a go for me, but I would like to have the irons dialed in first.
is it so far canted your out of adjustment, or does the canted sight just bother you?
I had a WASR also the sight was canted but not enough I could not zero my windage. The sight did bother me a bit .
You could drill a set screw on the bottom off the front sight base remove the sight base pins and adjust the base to your likes. then you can drill slightly larger pin holes and install the corect size pins.
or just run set screw and some green loctite

Last edited:
My wasr front sight was canted pretty bad, I brought it to all of the local places and no one could fix it even though I paid each of them. I called century arms and because its out of warranty they referred me to Fairfax Firearms. He was the lead armorer at century and decided to start his own business servicing out of warranty firearms. I just sent mine there to have the front sight fixed. I'll let you know how it goes but he had great reviews.

My wasr front sight was canted pretty bad, I brought it to all of the local places and no one could fix it even though I paid each of them. I called century arms and because its out of warranty they referred me to Fairfax Firearms. He was the lead armorer at century and decided to start his own business servicing out of warranty firearms. I just sent mine there to have the front sight fixed. I'll let you know how it goes but he had great reviews.

Could the sight be brought on target? If so, that seems like a non-problem to me.

I hope your firearm comes back to your satisfaction, but the point of an AK is that its wide tolerances allow it to continue to function well despite misalignments like these, that would put a less robust design out of service. As long as you could zero the rifle, I'm not convinced that throwing money at it is all that beneficial from a function standpoint. It's all just aesthetic. At that point, maybe sell it and buy an AR?

These are not precious rifles. They're designed to do dirty work reliably.

Could the sight be brought on target? If so, that seems like a non-problem to me.

I hope your firearm comes back to your satisfaction, but the point of an AK is that its wide tolerances allow it to continue to function well despite misalignments like these, that would put a less robust design out of service. As long as you could zero the rifle, I'm not convinced that throwing money at it is all that beneficial from a function standpoint. It's all just aesthetic. At that point, maybe sell it and buy an AR?

These are not precious rifles. They're designed to do dirty work reliably.

For me, I couldn't adjust the sight enough to be on the target. I had it pegged left and as low as it could go and it was still way off barely hitting the outside of the paper.

Got it. Yeah, that's a problem.

How long does the Fairfax guy say the fix will take?

lol gun smith for a canted sight.... kids these days .

get 3mm punch make it slightly thinner . tap pins out. hit sight with hammer. run drill bit thru holes. hammer pins in . done.
legit had a large group of guys who never fired a ak build them in a day.
Sounds easy enough and probably is, however i’m a bit weary of touching a drill bit to a gun barrel with no prior experience.

Back
Top Bottom