AK-47's need some guidance please

MOst AK's are good I would avoid any AK with a B-West U.S. Made reciever. Certain lots of these recievers were not heat treated properly. Collectors Coing Gallery in Stoneham has a Polytech Legend for sale. I belive they want $1800 for it.

You can fix that mag wobble by building internal dimples using a back plate from a computer port and a bit of JP weld. The port cover is a perfect fit in height and thickness because of the bends in it. It fits in just above the magwell opening and the small metal pieces that are there already. One on each side. About an inch long. A quick blast of Flat black Alumi-hyde II will blend them in. No more mag wobble.

You want to inspect any AK before you buy it for canting issues. I don't know if you order one to send to an FFL and it's a bust if your stuck with it.

Quality AK should be declared an Oxymoron. They are designed to be loose and sloppy.

On a side note, has anyone else noticed the price of SKSs softening?

I think they're pretty much leveling out at $100 more than what they were a year ago and don't see them going back down.
Only exceptions seem to be rational people still selling Norincos for under $300. Thank god because there are plenty of Chinese arsenal code models out there to fill gaps in my collection. [smile]

A slightly different direction, but have you thought of getting a Kel-Tec SU16 instead? I'm thinking of getting the Charlie version, not sure if it's PRM compliant though...not an issue for me though.

Blitz.... get your check book, credit card, whatever you need and drive to Zero Hour tomorrow and come home with a nice Chinese or Bulgarian AK.
If I was in the market for another one and had the funds, thats what I'd do.

You can always ask what they'll charge to convert a Saiga in stock too.

wow they do some real nice stuff there!
do you guys know how much they charge for the 7.62x39 saiga to AK conversions?

Directly from Jim:

Guys
We only doing a run of S-12's twice this year, we have already started the current run and will be doing another run possibly in OCT.
We can do Saiga rifles anytime as they are much different from the S-12.
Our basic conversion price is 350.00 depending on parts and features requested for the gun. Call us for an exact quote for what you would like 702-860-7774

That is for the S-12. I presume the 7.62x39 should be in the same ball park.

Any military rifle makes a great plinker cause they're designed to shoot alot more rounds at a time than hunting rifles. If you're set on an AK, I have a Polytech I bought about 20 years ago.(back when they cost about 300 bucks new). It's a great rifle but quite heavy. It's about as heavy as my M1 Garand but shorter. It's fired many cases of ammo but still looks and shoots great. If I wanted another AK, I'd find another Polytech. I've fired the 5.45 round and it's more pleasant to shoot and cheaper to buy. I shoot at Harvard every weekend and will bring it out if you'd like to try it. I also have alot of other military rifles. Most are bolt guns but a few are semi autos.

If you want the best of the AK's, look for a Polytech Legend. That's the one with the milled receiver. They are fairly rare and expensive. I believe they were imported for less than two years.

First off, make sure she's tried an AK before you get her one, unless you'll want it when she doesn't.

Secondly, consider a WASR, and look it iver real close before buying.

I have no troubles with my WASR-10 (7.62x39), and it shoots fairly well. I didn't get to pick and choose, as I ordered it in. But, I lucked out, and it's a good one.

I know Arsenal, Norinco and Polytech are decent.

i have a pre-1989 ban Norinco akm-47 and quality is superb! compared to the hordes of cheap rattling dumpster AKs out there,..the ones listed above are the only ones i would ever spend my money on! any other make of AK out there is total junk. norincos and polytechs only hold or increase thier value. hey but its your money not mine. get a top dollar AK, dont waste your time on a cheapo, trust me you wont regret it.

Last edited:
C'mon people. We're talking AK type rifles here. Yeah some feel better or maybe even shoot a little better but with the exception of shitty US builds done by distribution companies, there isn't much difference when someone wants a an AK variant.

Polytech Legend or WASR10, it doesn't matter much. Both will function when filthy, both will eat any 7.62x39 ammo. One looks like a Lexus, the other like a Toyota. Fact is... its the same rifle just with fancier and better looking parts on one of them.

First off, make sure she's tried an AK before you get her one, unless you'll want it when she doesn't.

She'll shoot what I tell her to shoot. [smile][wink]
(please don't tell her I said that)

Really it is for me to play with, just because I'm giving it to her on her birthday doesn't mean it's for her. [wink]

I really appreciate the input folks. I'm actively looking, cash in hand.

If you have basic skills with hand tools I would highly recommend getting a Saiga 7.62x39 and converting it.

You can pick them up for $350-$400 and then spend $100 on conversion parts. Converting a Saiga from the "sporting configuration" they are imported in back to a pistol grip config only takes about two hours and there are some very good video tutorials out there showing exactly how to do it. You will end up with a rifle that would sell for well over your $800 budget on the open market. This option also allows you to build a rifle that is EXACTLY what you want.

Anyone who says that all AKs are the same or who recommends a WASR must never have handled a really nice AK. The fit and finish, smoothness of the action, trigger pull and slop, etc. all vary considerably. The Saigas come off the Izhmash factory line in Russia (you know the place where Mr Kalashnikov is still the chief engineer) and in my opinion their unmatched experience with the AK platform really shows in their work. I used to be an AR man until I bought a Saiga. Now I find myself asking why I still own an AR and why I have not sold it and bought three more Saigas.

I have a few Arsenals. My AKM is a milled receiver with (I believe) an Austrian barrel. It is a beautiful gun, ran right out of the box. I have never had a FTF and it runs about 2-3 MOA off-hand. I can't really ask more. I also have a stamped Arsenal '74 that is just as reliable, tho not as accurate.

If you can, the Arsenals are nice.

Any military rifle makes a great plinker cause they're designed to shoot alot more rounds at a time than hunting rifles. If you're set on an AK, I have a Polytech I bought about 20 years ago.(back when they cost about 300 bucks new). It's a great rifle but quite heavy. It's about as heavy as my M1 Garand but shorter. It's fired many cases of ammo but still looks and shoots great. If I wanted another AK, I'd find another Polytech. I've fired the 5.45 round and it's more pleasant to shoot and cheaper to buy. I shoot at Harvard every weekend and will bring it out if you'd like to try it. I also have alot of other military rifles. Most are bolt guns but a few are semi autos.

Who makes an AK 47/74 that shoots 5.45x39? Is the Polish Tantal the only mass compliant option?

If you have basic skills with hand tools I would highly recommend getting a Saiga 7.62x39 and converting it.

You can pick them up for $350-$400 and then spend $100 on conversion parts. Converting a Saiga from the "sporting configuration" they are imported in back to a pistol grip config only takes about two hours and there are some very good video tutorials out there showing exactly how to do it. You will end up with a rifle that would sell for well over your $800 budget on the open market. This option also allows you to build a rifle that is EXACTLY what you want.
+1 Saigas are very well made. I love my converted 7.62x39 and Saiga 12. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom