AK-47/74 Build Party 2015 - It's Official

I got the reamers . Few of the builds I've helped with the holes for the trigger pins needed to be reamed open. I forget if it was just paint.

The hole for the big end of the trigger axis pin is so close to the bend that it is very common to be distorted a bit from the bending process. A quick touch up with a ream is often necessary on that one in particular.

For heat treating I have been using kasnit for years, it has always worked well for me. Unfortunately, OSHA made them take it off the market for some reason. There is a new product called cherry red that is supposedly a more user friendly version.

Anyway here is the process.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/163-ak-47-library/34551-heat-treating-ak-ejector.html

hey just a thought. shouldn't the money from the raffle be put towards maybe food and drinks?

I'm pretty sure he started there.
Money from the raffle is being put towards food and drinks. But I also intend to put some towards the shirts, and also any tooling I can get. Drill bits and such are cheap per unit, but every little bit helps. Basically, I plan to put the fundraiser money towards things that will be used for the whole group. Food, bits, shirts, etc are all included in that.

what drill bits are needed for the building process. also, what material is best to use for building? I can borrow a couple brand new from the shop just have to return them after the party. just give me a list of sizes and material

Once fully assembled, the firearm needs to be FA10'd. The receiver may stay as a receiver forever and never get FA10'd if it is never assembled.
You're absolutely correct. I'm making the assumption here that if you're coming to the build party, you will build a firearm out of your receiver.

Pochito, I'll be bringing multiples of drill bits, it's just paramount that I have something to sharpen them with and that something has to be able to grind at multiple angles. Are you planning to buy a pre-made 80% receiver or to bend it yourself?

Last edited:
You're absolutely correct. I'm making the assumption here that if you're coming to the build party, you will build a firearm out of your receiver.

Pochito, I'll be bringing multiples of drill bits, it's just paramount that I have something to sharpen them with and that something has to be able to grind at multiple angles. Are you planning to buy a pre-made 80% receiver or to bend it yourself?

Only should need rivet sizes drill bits. For 100% kits.
A couple titanium alloy coated drill will be fine. You oil drilling holes in 1mm sheet metal.
I got a aluminum block to stick in the receiver so you drill in to the block after center drilling the holes.

If there's gonna be people head spacing, I can bring a end mill to put a flat on the barrel . Makes starting the pin home easy .
Thus will be some what a cluster **** depending on if people's kits have different size pins. You drill the hole under size then ream to size .

I can bring a drill doctor

I will be getting this one http://www.childersguns.com/CG1-Polish-AKM-47-Receiver

Ill bring it. If not used then ok. Not a big deal. I never nounted it i just put it in my bench viae to hold it when i need it. My bench is very very small and limited on space lol. I need to get a bigger bench but have to get the basement cleaned up first

Idk if necessary but i seen ak mag vise blocks. Like the ar lower vise block ones but for an ak. What would those be used for? Just like working on your ak or would they be needed to build one also?

I didn't use one, so I don't think there's really a need for a vise block.

Ok, as long as we have a drill doctor and a spare grinder, we'll be in good shape. If we have no 80% receivers, we'll be in even better shape.

Yeah man really to build a ak you just need 1 drill for rivets.

If people are buying under folders etc you'll need drills that match all that crap, if you didn't buy a 100% with that part taken care of.

If I can get 200$ to blow befor the party I'll have a all in one rivet setup.

For now I got trigger guard tool and bolt cutter tool. And stuff to press and pull a barrel.

Long rivets I just go ghetto and hammer time on them. I do have two harden dies for the press tho....

If people are taking care of 922 and sealing out piston you'll need a ball peen hammer to install the new rivet .

Flat file to debur rivet holes if you drill them.

I use a ball bearing and hammer to dimple the counter sunk rivet holes.

Just updated the main post with info on the T-Shirts. They will be $15 each after I cover a little over $80 with fundraiser money. Payment details can be found in the main post as well.

Just updated the main post with info on the T-Shirts. They will be $15 each after I cover a little over $80 with fundraiser money. Payment details can be found in the main post as well.

You know that if you pull this off there will have to be a second annual AK Build Party right?

You know that if you pull this off there will have to be a second annual AK Build Party right?

I completely hope that is the case. My only issue is that I will almost definitely be in North Carolina before the year is up... So it might be hard for me to host it again next year haha. I'll still be an NES'er though regardless and will ensure that another party is orchestrated - whether I'm in Free America or not.

I have no worries - this WILL be pulled off. Oh yes, it most certainly will be. This is a great group! As a team, everybody has already stepped up to offer information, tools, experience, funds, etc... I might be organizing the whole thing, but I'm hardly responsible for how far we've already gotten. This is a group effort that has truly shown just how many great people are part of NES. I couldn't be happier to see how smoothly everything has come together. It's awesome! And it damn well better be repeated - whether I'm around or not.

Back
Top Bottom