Add Shaw’s to the list

I picked up a magazine and saw the price and put it back. Print media is almost dead, cant believe it is still around.

That's what I think as well. A lot of magazines come and go all the time, so when the latest issue of 'scary black rifles' disappears it may just mean that the company itself is rolling back it's print distribution or there will be a going out of business auction. Even left leaning magazines disappear as well. I bet that one day soon, backpacker magazine will disappear from the shelves and the only person that will ever notice is the one single guy who had to buy the latest issue every month while out grocery shopping.

I wonder if the supermarkets order the mags individually or just have a service that stocks the mags, takes away the old ones, and bill the store a portion of the price for the mags sold. If so, it could either be the distributor, or the store specifying a different mix.

Same. I would be very surprised if the grocery stores themselves actively managed the magazine selection. I would expect some jobber takes care of the whole display.

F Shaws! LOL

I don't have a Shaws near me. Iv'e got a Hannaford. Are we pro-Hanny or Anti-Hanni? Just so I know.

As long as I can pick up an AK47 in aisle 9, I don't care what magazines they sell or don't sell.

Well, John Rosenthal has been trying to get people to boycott Shaws, Star Market and Osco for years because they're owned by Cerberus Capital Management because they also own Bushmaster, and other firearms related companies.

BTW, Ed Markey, Seth Moulton, and most of the rest of our congressional delegation accepts large amounts of money from Cerberus.

Serious question. How many people are actually buying those gun magazines? In fact I wonder how many people are walking into the grocery store and picking up Backpacker magazine or a Danielle Steele paperback?
I heard her last book was fantastic!

Serious question. How many people are actually buying those gun magazines? In fact I wonder how many people are walking into the grocery store and picking up Backpacker magazine or a Danielle Steele paperback?
I've bought from them a few times. I usually stop in the aisle for a couple minutes just to read a few articles.

I haven't been to Shaw's recently, but I no longer see them at the Stop N Shop by my house anymore. I've checked like two or three separate times while grocery shopping and not a single gun magazine on the shelf.

Well, John Rosenthal has been trying to get people to boycott Shaws, Star Market and Osco for years because they're owned by Cerberus Capital Management because they also own Bushmaster, and other firearms related companies.

BTW, Ed Markey, Seth Moulton, and most of the rest of our congressional delegation accepts large amounts of money from Cerberus.

Wait, Shaws actually is owned by Cerberus? How did I never know that? Why couldn't it have been the company that owns Savage? f***ing Cerberus.

Also, shocker, they're f***ing hypocrites anyhow.

Wait, Shaws actually is owned by Cerberus? How did I never know that? Why couldn't it have been the company that owns Savage? f***ing Cerberus.

At first I read this as "Cerebus" and thought they were run by this guy:
cerebus.jpg

Shaw's is owned by Albertsons. Albertsons is privately held by a consortium of investors, led by Cerberus, but plans to go public after the acquisition of Rite Aid is approved and completed.

I wonder if the supermarkets order the mags individually or just have a service that stocks the mags, takes away the old ones, and bill the store a portion of the price for the mags sold. If so, it could either be the distributor, or the store specifying a different mix.

Well, that's how I learned SQL.
They are delivered by their own trucks in totes by the pallet full and put off to the side. A vendor comes in and does all the merchandising. To my knowledge they are not selected by anyone in the store. A store manager could tell them not to put them on the shelf but that is highly unlikely. I would bet if someone called to ask what happened to guns & ammo magazine they wouldn't even know the store carried it. I suppose corporate could make the decision not to carry it but I couldn't see them wasting their time with that. I work at a competitor to Shaws and read guns and ammo on break sometimes. Not sure how often it is published but I have gone months without seeing an issue on the shelf and then out of nowhere there will 20 of them. Like Kbcraig said if somethings not selling I am pretty sure it is just pulled and replaced. When something else stops selling it probably finds it's way back into rotation.

Shaws is good at raping customers based on location and charging "convenience store" prices.

$3.49 a dozen of eggs, while Market Basket is $0.99......

Shaws is one of the shittiest grocery stores in this country. maybe Food Lion is worse. Shaws can EABOD I wouldn't shop there if it were half off.

Shaws is good at raping customers based on location and charging "convenience store" prices.

True, but around here they have the best seafood selection by a wide margin, so they get a little business from me.

But, magazines? I have no idea where they're located in the store. In fact, until this thread, I didn't know magazines were still a thing.

The bigger crime is shaws no longer has olive or P and P loaf at the deli. Grocery chains have become so homogenized it's sad.

Go download a few weekly ads from Shaw's in wildly different locations and compare them, then report back.

What are you comparing, organics versus store brand?

The bigger crime is shaws no longer has olive or P and P loaf at the deli. Grocery chains have become so homogenized it's sad.
Shaw's deli departments vary a lot from store to store, market area to market area. Some are Dietz & Watson, others are Boar's Head. Some have salad bars and wing bars and pizza to order and fresh popcorn made in the store; others have none of those. Some have olive or P&P loaf, others don't.

If it sells well, they carry it.

I am happy to report that the Big Y still supports a militaristic approach to dealing with radical Islam, the second amendment, traditional American rugged masculinity, and an unwavering commitment to conservative values.

Attachments

• 82D96FC2-557A-4C92-9458-377C49B1DFB3.jpeg
    82D96FC2-557A-4C92-9458-377C49B1DFB3.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 23

From where I live:
Shaw's: 2 minutes
Park & Shop: 5 minutes
Market Basket: 15 minutes
Stop & Shop: ?
Price Chopper: ?
Price Rite: ?
Big Y: 25 minutes

I do S&S in W.Boylston for produce and deli, my neighbor for eggs, and sometimes Coopers in Leicester for milk. Otherwise, Shaws is it.

At my local Shaw's this week, I looked at the magazine rack and saw Gray's Sporting Journal, Guns & Ammo AR-15, Firearms News Treasury, Hunting, Backwoodsman, and a few other hunting/fishing/outdoors titles, along with the usual DIY/outdoors/Mother Earth News-type magazines that are friendly to firearms, knives, and self reliance.

so in other words, alarmist fake news to the thread title? lol

Basically, though they may have temporarily pulled those magazines for a cooling off period and then put them back. Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen them at my local Shaws, so meh. Alarmist, yes. Fake news, maybe.

In NH, I'm not surprised that they are on the shelf.

In MA, I'm not surprised if they aren't on the shelf. You don't want to trigger the masses and have to deal with multiple EMS calls each day.

Back
Top Bottom