AD at Hardwick Rod & Gun

They spelled negligently incorrectly. What a boner hole.

Apparently ND's are WAY more common than I thought...my fiancee' works in a hospital here in Indy and has had not one, but TWO fractured femurs in the last week from ND's while unholstering and another to a patients hand 'while cleaning'. I told her to start taking as many notes as possible (situation, caliber, firearm) so that I can post here. See if we can notice any patterns?

There IS an ND of the Day thread and this belongs in there to keep things neat and tidy.

You mean A-Thol.

My preference is DAO. The only non DAO I own is my 1911. I don't own a striker fired pistol. There's just something about that hammer spur.

A few inches to the COM and he’d have just a hammer spur left.

One of the rules were broken. Keep your booger hooker off the bang switch. YES, it's that simple.

Well, technically you actually have to break at least two rules to actually shoot yourself.... think about it, if this guy wasn't pointing the gun at his foot when this happened he would have just ended up with maybe a stain in his pants...

Well, technically you actually have to break at least two rules to actually shoot yourself.... think about it, if this guy wasn't pointing the gun at his foot when this happened he would have just ended up with maybe a stain in his pants...
*Absent a gross malfunction of the firearm. "Remington Moments" or the "Taurus Shake" are the sort of examples I can think of.

Young feller was probably trying not to get drafted to Iran. /s

In all seriousness, pure negligence and a lack of judgement involved. Always make sure your path to the reholster is clear of any concealing garments. From what I understand not even a heavy DA trigger would have prevented this. Super embarrassing for him.
A conventional SA/DA would allow a margin of safety by using the thumb to hold the hammer down while holsertering. What is particularly dangerous are windbreakers with a pull string at the bottom. Also, consider that a "minimizing" explanation will always be given, even it it was something even dumber like holstering with the finger in the trigger guard.

I thought maybe it was one of these. I saw a couple of the "shotgun toe-resters" at trap on New Year's.

On the good side, he now has a nifty place to rest his umbrella or pool cue...

WWYD?
I think I would watch the setting Sun in Maui through it. Reclined on a chaise lounge chair, sipping a Fog-Cutter as string-bikini clad nubiles walk along the sandy shores...

Maybe even get a tattoo of a rising Sun with the hole as its center, a Marlin jumping out of the ocean and Diamond Head in the background.

Oh the stories I would tell...

Crap. Now I want to shoot my foot...

Sick. But hilarious.

I thought maybe it was one of these. I saw a couple of the "shotgun toe-resters" at trap on New Year's.
I suppose they don't make these with a steel deflector under the leather because that would be admitting AD's happen. Or, perhaps, it would be admitting to a less safe earlier design and open the door to liability claims.

On the good side, he now has a nifty place to rest his umbrella or pool cue...

WWYD?
I think I would watch the setting Sun in Maui through it. Reclined on a chaise lounge chair, sipping a Fog-Cutter as string-bikini clad nubiles walk along the sandy shores...

Maybe even get a tattoo of a rising Sun with the hole as its center, a Marlin jumping out of the ocean and Diamond Head in the background.

Oh the stories I would tell...

Crap. Now I want to shoot my foot...
I'd travel to Stonehenge for the Summer Solstice, line up my foot at sunrise
IMG_0708.JPG

Sick. But hilarious.

Lol. Sick would be putting a cork in it...

11801_1.jpg

I took the two-day concealed carry course at Sig Academy last fall. They taught the following in regard to safely holstering the firearm:
  1. Keep your damn finger out of the trigger guard
  2. If carrying near the hip, push the strong-side hip out away from your body. This angles the bottom of the holster away from your legs and allows angling of the muzzle away from the lower body. If appendix carrying, pushing your hips forward will also allow holstering with the muzzle angled away from your valuable parts
  3. Use your support hand to clear garments away from the holster
  4. Look the firearm back into the holster
Not shooting yourself while holstering is not that difficult. It does require that holstering be performed as a deliberate act and not some casual afterthought.

I actually had a friend shoot himself in the foot with my Ruger single six .22 many years ago at the North Leominster Rod and Gun. He had it cocked and dropped his arm cause he was tired, the docs at the hospital tried saying that i shot him and made him lie about it. It's funny now but not when half the PD was there itching to throw me in the jail..

correct

I actually had a friend shoot himself in the foot with my Ruger single six .22 many years ago at the North Leominster Rod and Gun. He had it cocked and dropped his arm cause he was tired, the docs at the hospital tried saying that i shot him and made him lie about it. It's funny now but not when half the PD was there itching to throw me in the jail..
f*** that doctor guy. a**h***

Back
Top Bottom