AD at Hardwick Rod & Gun

Enzo

NES Member
Saw this in today’s Telegram & Gazette.

Athol man accidentally shots himself in the foot at Hardwick gun range

By Kim Ring
Telegram & Gazette Staff
Posted Jan 3, 2020 at 10:26 PMUpdated Jan 4, 2020 at 9:11 AM
HARDWICK - An Athol man suffered a gunshot wound to his foot in an accidental shooting at the Hardwick Rod & Gun Club on Thresher Road Friday afternoon, police said.
Officers were called to the club just after 2:30 p.m. and found the man, in his 20s, with an injury to his foot, Hardwick-New Braintree Police Lt. Kevin Landine said.
The man and a friend were at the range when the man’s sweatshirt got caught in the trigger of his 9 mm handgun and it discharged, sending a round through his foot, Landine said.
The man, whom police declined to identify, was taken by the Ware Fire Department ambulance to Baystate Mary Lane Hospital in Ware. Landine said his injuries are not life-threatening and the incident was not considered criminal in nature.

Saw this in today’s Telegram & Gazette.

Athol man accidentally shoots himself in the foot at Hardwick gun range

By Kim Ring
Telegram & Gazette Staff
Posted Jan 3, 2020 at 10:26 PMUpdated Jan 4, 2020 at 9:11 AM
HARDWICK - An Athol man suffered a gunshot wound to his foot in an accidental shooting at the Hardwick Rod & Gun Club on Thresher Road Friday afternoon, police said.
Officers were called to the club just after 2:30 p.m. and found the man, in his 20s, with an injury to his foot, Hardwick-New Braintree Police Lt. Kevin Landine said.
The man and a friend were at the range when the man’s sweatshirt got caught in the trigger of his 9 mm handgun and it discharged, sending a round through his foot, Landine said.
The man, whom police declined to identify, was taken by the Ware Fire Department ambulance to Baystate Mary Lane Hospital in Ware. Landine said his injuries are not life-threatening and the incident was not considered criminal in nature.

They spelled negligently incorrectly. What a boner hole.

Apparently ND's are WAY more common than I thought...my fiancee' works in a hospital here in Indy and has had not one, but TWO fractured femurs in the last week from ND's while unholstering and another to a patients hand 'while cleaning'. I told her to start taking as many notes as possible (situation, caliber, firearm) so that I can post here. See if we can notice any patterns?

There IS an ND of the Day thread and this belongs in there to keep things neat and tidy.

Last edited:
I've carried a striker-fired for over 26-years, daily. It's the Man, not the machine...

This!

Look at all the “it’s the guns fault” crap going on in here. You all sound like the antis who want to ban everything. And you shout “ it’s not the gun it’s the person” then say the same shit.

This!

Look at all the “it’s the guns fault” crap going on in here. You all sound like the antis who want to ban everything. And you shout “ it’s not the gun it’s the person” then say the same shit.
Not the gun's fault. The man's fault for not seeing the higher likelihood of an ND and dealing with it.

Doesn't change the conversation manual safety v. trigger/no safety. Some people fail to see the risk and deal with it. I'd bet this guy used to say "Hey I've been carrying for years with no problem" then one day there is a problem. So the question ends up being "how many layers of safety do you want". This is how the 4 rules work, multiple layers. Ultimately everyone makes their own choice.

This!

LOL who said ban? Mostly I'm just stirring the pot, though all of these clothing related bang bangs are almost exclusively striker fired with one in the pipe.

Remember this guy?

4D5FFDF800000578-5857159-image-m-30_1529348105804.jpg

If I could ban anything, it would be stupid dumbf#cks. That would take care of a lot of world problems and likely 99.99999999% of ND's.

On the good side, he now has a nifty place to rest his umbrella or pool cue...

WWYD?
I think I would watch the setting Sun in Maui through it. Reclined on a chaise lounge chair, sipping a Fog-Cutter as string-bikini clad nubiles walk along the sandy shores...

Maybe even get a tattoo of a rising Sun with the hole as its center, a Marlin jumping out of the ocean and Diamond Head in the background.

Oh the stories I would tell...

Crap. Now I want to shoot my foot...

Last edited:
On the good side, he now has a nifty place to rest his umbrella or pool cue...

WWYD?
I think I would watch the setting Sun in Maui through it. Reclined on a chaise lounge chair, sipping a Fog-Cutter as string-bikini clad nubiles walk along the sandy shores...

Maybe even get a tattoo of a rising Sun with the hole as its center, a Marlin jumping out of the ocean and Diamond Head in the background.

Oh the stories I would tell...

Crap. Now I want to shoot my foot...

WWID?

I'd get my foot fixed, that's what.

One of the rules were broken. Keep your booger hooker off the bang switch. YES, it's that simple.

and a significant portion of NES...myself possibly included.

never shot my dick off, but definitely did a few 'no-no's accidentally before i knew anything about guns.

LOL who said ban? Mostly I'm just stirring the pot, though all of these clothing related bang bangs are almost exclusively striker fired with one in the pipe.

Remember this guy?

4D5FFDF800000578-5857159-image-m-30_1529348105804.jpg

If I could ban anything, it would be stupid dumbf#cks. That would take care of a lot of world problems and likely 99.99999999% of ND's.

I am amazed at the number of handgun buyers who dismiss me when I emphasize the importance of training and practice for safe handling. They must think they have some magical talent when it comes to firearms.

I carry a 19 and sometimes a 43 at 4 o'clock, both one in the pipe. I'll say this; I always put gun in holster first then put the whole thing on. In the event that I am reholstering a hot gun, I ALWAYS sort of use my other hand to tilt the holster away from my body slighty plus sometimes I'll run my finger between to make sure nothing is in there to snag the trigger. On top of that I do not wear baggy clothing. Awareness is key, period. Get complacent, pay for it.

Glock, no doubt. When my NH grandkids start to CCW, it will be DAO. Flame me if you want. Jack.

My preference is DAO. The only non DAO I own is my 1911. I don't own a striker fired pistol. There's just something about that hammer spur.

True. But you have the skills that newbies don't have. Jack.
True.
Maybe we should be showing the beginners graphic instructional videos during their ltc classes ( those that are required to take them anyway ) much like I, and I'm sure many of you were shown during our driver training classes. I know for sure, that left a never to be forgotten, and effective image burned into my mind.
I've never crashed a motor vehicle, on road anyways, and, after carrying all kinds of sidearms for many years, and many different modes and methods of carry, haven't shot myself yet. Just my 2 cents.

Young feller was probably trying not to get drafted to Iran. /s

In all seriousness, pure negligence and a lack of judgement involved. Always make sure your path to the reholster is clear of any concealing garments. From what I understand not even a heavy DA trigger would have prevented this. Super embarrassing for him.

Back
Top Bottom