Active Military resident of MA, stationed in MS, can I ship a Glock back?

I am from (and currently still a resident of) Massachusetts and I am stationed in Mississippi for the time being. While I was down here I picked up a Glock 19 which as I understand is illegal for sale in MA but not banned outright. In this situation is it legal for me to ship my Glock back to Massachusetts?

Apologies since similar questions have been asked, however they were from over 10 years ago and not exactly the same situation.

"Illegal for sale" by a state-licensed dealer. That ain't you, and it has no bearing on you since you bought the gun from someone other than a MA-licensed dealer. Right?

I would hand-carry it back here. Once you get it here, shoot it.

ETA: I'm assuming you have an LTC...

"Illegal for sale" by a state-licensed dealer. That ain't you, and it has no bearing on you since you bought the gun from someone other than a MA-licensed dealer. Right?

I would hand-carry it back here. Once you get it here, shoot it.

ETA: I'm assuming you have an LTC...
Hello yes I do hold a valid LTC and would LOVE to carry it back there myself and put some rounds through it, however I am being moved to a new station in WA and cannot head back again as I just took leave for Christmas. I have also read that shipping handguns is only legal through an FFL, so would I need to ship it to an FFL in MA and physically be there to pick it up from them?

Hello yes I do hold a valid LTC and would LOVE to carry it back there myself and put some rounds through it, however I am being moved to a new station in WA and cannot head back again as I just took leave for Christmas. I have also read that shipping handguns is only legal through an FFL, so would I need to ship it to an FFL in MA and physically be there to pick it up from them?

You've reached the limit of my knowledge, I'm afraid, and I wouldn't want to get your gun seized.

But I THINK it's legal to ship it directly to yourself, since you're the owner. I think I recall NESers saying they'd done something similar when on trips, to avoid having to fly them.

Please don't take that as advice. Wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in.

no handguns via USPS

You can send yourself a gun via common carrier, meaning UPS or FedEx, but it has to be shipped at a depot, it has to be declared, it has to go overnight, and you have to be on the other end to receive it IIRC

The reality is there is no easy to ship it unless you have a WILLING FFL in MA that is not only willing to transfer it to you, but also willing to store it for you until you get back. Good luck in that department.

Why can't you take it to your next station?

You've reached the limit of my knowledge, I'm afraid, and I wouldn't want to get your gun seized.

But I THINK it's legal to ship it directly to yourself, since you're the owner. I think I recall NESers saying they'd done something similar when on trips, to avoid having to fly them.

Please don't take that as advice. Wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in.
Also not 100%, but pretty sure what he says is correct.👆🏼

Keep in mind that it is the policy of UPS and FedEx to overnight (read expensive) firearms because they have a theft problem with guns and want them in their hands as short as possible time wise.
True, but also UPS and FedEx policies ONLY allow shipment of firearms if it is either shipped by an FFL or shipped to an FFL, so shipping to yourself isn't really possible anymore. This change occured a number of years ago.

I'd sell it to a military brother or sister that lives in a free state. When and if you decide to return to Mass there are Glocks for sale on this forum all the time. You sometimes pay more but I have seen some fair deals. The extra money you'll pay juggling the Glock you have around will add to the purchase price and be a wash I bet. I know it sucks being a fine service member and being treated like a thug criminal that you can't easily get a gun you bought legally back into your home state without the bullcrap. Being it's just a Glock it's not worth it. You're other option is if you have a law enforcement officer friend in Mass you could transfer it to a FFL here to your friend as LEO can easily pick up Glocks from an FFL. Then you can EFA10 it back to you once you come home. Good luck.

True, but also UPS and FedEx policies ONLY allow shipment of firearms if it is either shipped by an FFL or shipped to an FFL, so shipping to yourself isn't really possible anymore. This change occured a number of years ago.
What if you…

Ship the Glock to an FFL for a cleaning or Cerakote, or trigger job, etc., ask them to return ship to your residence, No?

Or…

Disassemble the firearm and ship the parts back via different carriers? Barrel via FedEx, slide via USPS, frame via UPS, etc…

UPS and FedEx won't let you ship to yourself any more. Not unless you can beat the gun to MA and be there to receive it; in that case, it's cheaper and easier to just drive it home, or fly home with it properly stored in luggage.

OP, just take the pistol the WA with you. I've PCSed all over the US with firearms-no need to send them home. If for some reason you're a barracks guy, store the pistol off post with a friend.

Also, verify that WA does not tax military income. Fill out a DD2058 with your finance folks and change your residence to that state so you aren't paying MA taxes. Get a DL, local concealed carry permit, register your car, and register to vote there. Never again return to MA unless you're visiting your family. I only paid state taxes for the first 2 out of 28 and a half years in the Army. I had the same AK plates on my truck for the last 13 years despite living in 5 different states. On your next PCS if you go to a more free state like AK, do all that there and keep it the rest of your career. BL. Use the military's PCS process and residency loopholes to benefit you financially and as an escape from MA.

If my goal was to have it stored securely in MA for my use when I returned, I would plan on taking it myself on my next visit back and leave it in a family member or friends' safe. ( and having a current MA LTC of course)

Well geez dad… yes, yes… I’m aware… but if shipped as “sporting goods” with some priority shipping method maybe the carrier wouldn’t be aware…
This violates Fed Law. One must declare it as a firearm in a case like this. Try reading the BATFE regs/laws (and Q&A) before giving felony advice.

This violates Fed Law. One must declare it as a firearm in a case like this. Try reading the BATFE regs/laws (and Q&A) before giving felony advice.

Apologies, I did not include my usual disclaimer that my post does not constitute legal advise, and to consult a competent attorney in the relevant jurisdiction.

Also, I suppose I could have posted /Sarc for those who read all Internet forum posts in the most literal fashion. I thought my calling @KBCraig my “dad” was implicit enough to denote the tone and connotation. (Full disclaimer: @KBCraig is not my dad) I’m glad I didn’t suggest OP stash the firearm in his prison purse and just fly home with it… I’d hate to see the comments on that one. 🙄

Also, this post does not constitute legal advise, and someone should consult a competent attorney in the relevant jurisdiction.

😉

But yes, sound advice to read BATFE.

Hello everyone, thank you all for the great replies; I have a much better idea of the process now. For some clarification, I do plan on moving back to MA (Or NE in general) after my contract is up and I do have a valid LTC. All of my family lives in MA so I was trying to send my Glock back there for safe keeping until I get back, however it would seem that the best, and only, course of action is to PCS with the weapon and hand carry it back to MA after a few years. Thanks again gun bros!

Hello everyone, thank you all for the great replies; I have a much better idea of the process now. For some clarification, I do plan on moving back to MA (Or NE in general) after my contract is up and I do have a valid LTC. All of my family lives in MA so I was trying to send my Glock back there for safe keeping until I get back, however it would seem that the best, and only, course of action is to PCS with the weapon and hand carry it back to MA after a few years. Thanks again gun bros!

I have family in MA. I chose the New England in general option when I retired. AKA NH.

For your sanity don't move back to MA. Good luck and enjoy the rest of your career. :)

Hey @Len-2A Training, what's your latest take on whether OP
is exempt from the Mass requirement to report
his (out-of-state) handgun purchases within 7 days
when he's been absent for at least 180 consecutive days?

Ch. 140 §129C(j)

In 2010, someone in another thread was throwing FUD
about active duty military who declare themselves as being
Mass residents while stationed elsewhere are not "absent"
from the state. But since he also threw FUD at AFT's support
of multi-residence snowbirding, I ain't convinced.

Hey @Len-2A Training, what's your latest take on whether OP
is exempt from the Mass requirement to report
his (out-of-state) handgun purchases within 7 days
when he's been absent for at least 180 consecutive days?

Ch. 140 §129C(j)

In 2010, someone in another thread was throwing FUD
about active duty military who declare themselves as being
Mass residents while stationed elsewhere are not "absent"
from the state. But since he also threw FUD at AFT's support
of multi-residence snowbirding, I ain't convinced.
I can't say for absolute certain, but my best guess is the following:

- If he's stationed and living out of state, MGL doesn't require registration until he brings the gun into MA . From that point he has 7 days to register it with no info on the source of the gun.
- If he doesn't have an active MA LTC when he arrives back in MA to live, he never has to register it under current MGL. Just don't bring it into MA unless you have an active LTC or are moving back into MA (in which case you need to apply for a renewal of the LTC and just lock up the guns).

I know that there is a provision in MGL that someone on active duty . . . their LTC is still valid after expiration if they are stationed and living elsewhere. HOWEVER, I know that this isn't automatic and requires the MIL person to notify FRB and the issuing PD of that fact. I am unaware of any official form to do so, and suspect most aren't aware of it and don't notify. I also have reason to believe that most licensing officers and chiefs are unaware of that provision as well. I don't ever recall it being mentioned by Glidden at his seminars for chiefs/LOs.

Good stuff, but what about the 180-day part?
If he still has an active LTC, I doubt that they would agree that he didn't have to register it upon return. In any case, a MA resident never has to register a gun held in another state until it crosses the MA border for the first time.

If he still has an active LTC, I doubt that they would agree that he didn't have to register it upon return. In any case, a MA resident never has to register a gun held in another state until it crosses the MA border for the first time.
Well, the new resident exemption is cheek'n'jowl with the
been away for a long time exemption:

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:​
...​
(j) Any resident of the commonwealth returning after having been absent from the commonwealth for not less than 180 consecutive days or any new resident moving into the commonwealth, with respect to any firearm, rifle or shotgun and any ammunition therefor then in his possession, for 60 days after such return or entry into the commonwealth; ...​

Maybe to be operative it requires the snowbird's LTC to have expired,
so that they're as incapable of EFA-10ing as a brand-new resident?

Back
Top Bottom