"A guy at the gun shop said..."

Reptile

NES Member
...that it is legal in Mass to have LEO marked Glock mags if the mag is dated 9/94. He said that the Mass high cap ban started after that date.

It seems like it is possible to get dated mags that were made before the ban.

Is he crazy or am I missing something?
[hmmm]

For the sake of this customer, I'd rather not say

The shop is not in question. The crazy belief of this customer is what was in question. Hopefully he will find his senses.

The shop is not in question. The crazy belief of this customer is what was in question. Hopefully he will find his senses.

Well, he doesn't have to worry, because a guy at the range the other day told me his brand new 30 round AR mag was fine because "MA has recently changed the law." [rolleyes]

Well, he doesn't have to worry, because a guy at the range the other day told me his brand new 30 round AR mag was fine because "MA has recently changed the law." [rolleyes]

ROFL. Yeah, sure, maybe when Hell freezes over or Kerry turns into a freedom-loving capitalist.

The guy at the gun shop told me that a .45 can lift someone off their feet when it hits them! Wow, and here I am thinking I learned everything I needed regarding physics.

If I had a nickel for every....

Well, lets just say that Cross-X and others make a good living dealing with the people who don't understand the laws. (^_^)

Seriously, I've heard several police officers brought in to 'teach' the law section of the Basic Pistol and Personal Protection courses that have stated blatantly WRONG information on multiple occasions. It is difficult to correct too as the last thing you want is an argument in front of the class. (Been there, done that, NEVER again) Now, we work with a retired lieutenant who has been open to discussing issues after class and works hard to correct them for the next one. At least in these classes we meet another day so that corrections can be dealt with.

For one day classes, several of the instructors have taken on the role of presenting the laws and clearly step out of the NRA position and into that of the "authority". It is a difficult transition. In the 'class' we will stray off topic to cover shooting related questions that are brought up. In this part, due to liability, we stick to a fairly rigid outline and refer off-topic questions to a lawyer.

Have you heard the one that certain bullets kill by hydrostatic pressure, so a hit anywhere on the body will consistently result in DRT?

Those are them Hydro-Shocks. [smile] The only thing I will admit to believe, is the fact that a mushroomed bullet will have more force than a FMJ bullet once it hits you.

Those are them Hydro-Shocks. [smile] The only thing I will admit to believe, is the fact that a mushroomed bullet will have more force than a FMJ bullet once it hits you.

Two projectiles traveling at the same speed, with the same rotational speed and the same weight, have exactly the same amount of energy. If both decelerate in a body, the exact same amount of energy is transferred by both projectiles. The question of shape, is the where and how that energy is transferred to the target, or in other words, how much damage is produced by that deceleration.

Last edited:
Two projectiles traveling at the same speed, with the same rotational speed and the same weight, have exactly the same amount of energy. If both decelerate in a body, the exact same amount of energy is transferred by both projectiles. The question of shape, is the where and how that energy is transferred to the target, or in other words, how much damage is produced by that deceleration.

Technically, NO! The concept of hyrdostatics comes into play once the projectile makes contact with the body. Once the bullet begins to mushroom, you will have 2 forces acting rearward, but it must equal the force pushing forward, thus the force doubles but the velocity will decrease due to drag.

Technically, NO! The concept of hyrdostatics comes into play once the projectile makes contact with the body. Once the bullet begins to mushroom, you will have 2 forces acting rearward, but it must equal the force pushing forward, thus the force doubles but the velocity will decrease due to drag.

Note the condition that both projectiles remain within the target, therefore the energy will be the same for both, conservation of energy dictates that you do not create energy only transfer it. The damage incurred is related to the shape and the speed with which the projectile decelerates in the target.

untitled.jpg

The difference between the energy and force question is the time factor.
NSL.png
Note that the energy measurement (mv) (or momentum in this case) will be the same. The force/damage will be affected by the time of the deceleration as I mentioned previously.
Also affecting the deceleration of a projectile is the moment of inertia, i.e. the diameter change of the projectile as it expands and slows down it's rate of spin (a figure skater in a spin with arms out stretched versus held tight against the body). As you see in the formula the force will increase as the time decreases, but the energy will not.

The difference between the energy and force question is the time factor.
View attachment 1262
Note that the energy measurement (mv) (or momentum in this case) will be the same. The force/damage will be affected by the time of the deceleration as I mentioned previously.
Also affecting the deceleration of a projectile is the moment of inertia, i.e. the diameter change of the projectile as it expands and slows down it's rate of spin (a figure skater in a spin with arms out stretched versus held tight against the body). As you see in the formula the force will increase as the time decreases, but the energy will not.

[smile] I don't think we're disagreeing here...[laugh] I think I was referring to force, but used the term energy. I will agree, energy is never lost only transferred. Exergy is lossed though [wink]. I always wanted to do a full out study of fluid mechanics regarding ballistics and making major improvements. Sound's like a good thesis to me!

Back
Top Bottom