A gun for dinosaur

Ross, if you're thinking of the Smith Model as a sidearm, and not your primary gun, yes, it would be approprate for use. If you don't already own one, but have a 45 Colt (some call it Long Colt), that would work as well, especially if it's a Ruger (which can handle hot loads).

I concur with Tony's comments on the 44 Mag in a 444. It does work, but it's not a smart thing to do.

Nickle said:
Ross, if you're thinking of the Smith Model as a sidearm, and not your primary gun, yes, it would be approprate for use.

Yup, that's it exactly. Currently, I have a few .357's, but I understand that (In spite of what MA Fish & Wildlife regs say) it's pretty marginal for bear... and I wouldn't want to annoy a moose with one. [wink]

.500 Magnum. You can always shoot .500 Girly - um, Special which are a LOT like a .44 Magnum in feel, but still pack a good bit more on target. That way, when you go on your African safari, you just load up with the 440 Cor Bon and you'll be good to go for Elephant too.

Might work on those Dinosaurs as well.

Well, in that case, Chris, maybe I should try to get that Lone Eagle I want and loan it to him. 458 Win Mag.

Or, a T/C Encore. Midway has barrels available in numerous calibers. 264 Win Mag and 45-70 are 2 I definitely remember. You'll want the 15" barrel, though.

The 458 Win. is OK but only acceptable to hardened shooters.

You think?

I hadn't realized it was available as well.

And as for being Mass Compliant, you CAN always move. I don't have those restrictions, since I live in Free Territory.

Chris said:
Sounds Great Nickle...

To bad none of them are MA compliant.

I'd LOVE to get an Encore and then make annual purchases at SSK Industries for all kinds of funky calibers. How about a .458 Winchester Magnum? (^_^)

http://www.sskindustries.com/encore.htm

I have an Encore. Just haven't been buying a lot of barrels. But I think that I might just have to do that.

Not a hunter, but I know many a person who's taken down a Moose. Most of them did it with a .30-06 loaded a little hot. Did the deed.

I gotta put my 2c on Dino-hunting. I dunno about the big Plant-muchers, but it's strongly belived that to be that big, and often high off the ground the Dinos had to be warm blooded. And of course thier bone structure suggests somthing between Birds and Crocodillians.

Judging how they're built, and how they probably moved, somthing like a Tyrannosaur would be tougher to bring down than a massive Ostrich (wich I wouldn't think would take much more than a .30/30. So for a T-Rex I'd thing a .300 Win Mag or .300 Wetherby Mag would be more than sufficient...espeshally when you think that they probably didn't have hides like elephant or Rhino.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

dwarven1 said:
firtree said:
.44 mag is pretty marginal for the task, IMHO. Good lord, don't shoot a
.44mag in a .444 Marlin! Same caliber, very different cartridge.

Really?

Coyote33 said:
Also consider a 44 Mag lever or even 444 Marlin (extended 44 Mag).

Guess I thought it had the same relationship as a .357 Maximum had to .357 Magnum had to .38 Spcl. I learn something new all the time.

I thought the .444 was basically and extended .44 Mag, which is basically and extended .44 Special, which is basically an extended .44 Russian.

It isn't?

TonyD said:
Years ago I used to shoot .44 mags out of a .444 Marlin. Had to feed one at a time. Not the smartest thing I've ever done but it will shoot. NOT recommended by any means.

If it were a Thompson, it would be one at a time anyhow.

Why is it not recommended?

It wasn't a Thompson. Again, it was a .444 Marlin in lever action. They would not feed from the tube magazine.

It is essentially an extended .44 mag. The problem is that it is nearly twice as long. That is a very long jump from the chamber to the lands. Aside from greatly decreasing accuracy, I'm sure there are other problems that I'm not versed in by shooting a handgun round in a rifle designed to shoot rifle rounds.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can shoot .44 special in a .44 mag. Anyone else know the specifics on this?

TonyD said:
I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can shoot .44 special in a .44 mag. Anyone else know the specifics on this?

I could be wrong also, but...

Of COURSE you can! You can also shoot the .44 Russian if I'm not mistaken.

Just like .38 Special in a .357 and .38 in a .38 Spl or .357.

No?

.44 Special in a .44 Mag is fine, as is 38 Spec in a .357 Mag as is .357 Magnum in a .357 Maximum. (if you can FIND a .357 Maximum any more; I think Ruger discontinued them)

Ross

TonyD said:

The ONLY reason the 44 Mag is longer, is so you can't chamber the 44 Mag in a 44 Spec gun. You can shoot 44 American, 44 Russian and 44 Special in a 44 Mag. You can shoot 44 American and 44 Russian in a 44 Special.

Thanks Ross, Nickle. I have a .44 special Bulldog but I've never messed with .44 Mag and wasn't sure if it worked the same as .38 / .357. Appreciate the info.

TonyD said:
Thanks Ross, Nickle. I have a .44 special Bulldog but I've never messed with .44 Mag and wasn't sure if it worked the same as .38 / .357. Appreciate the info.

You can shoot 44 Russian and 44 American in it. Of course, you'll find 44 Special probably easier to find and cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom