A gun for dinosaur

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
OK, not really...

But I'm thinking of doing a guided hunt next year in ME, and looking at some rifles and wondering about the different calibers. Is .30-30 enough gun for moose or bear? .303? Trying to decide what to go for first. I do have a little socked away in my "gun" account.

Ross,
30-30 is a bit too small for a moose or bear. Although .303 is powerful enough for both of them with a well placed shot, I personally would feel more comfortable with something with a bit more oomph.

If you are looking into an older style gun, I would suggest something in 7.62X54R as a minimum. However .308 is a mighty fine round!

Adam

Thanks for the replies, guys. Keep 'em coming.

I've been looking around for something on my rifle wish list (which is mostly milsurp, with a lever action Winchester thrown in for variety) and keeping an eye out at the local shops as well. But I don't have a feel for the power of the various rifle cartridges out there. So keep going... I'm paying attention.

Ross...

I know you would like your rifle to be on your wish list, however there is something to be said about having a nice, new, modern bolt action rifle in a versatile cartridge that is powerful enough for anything you will encounter in the North East, and have PLENTY of surplus ammo available for range time fun.

It is these few things above that led me to my purchase of the Savage 110. I opted for the .308 version with the accu-trigger for all the reasons above.

Yes, it would be nice to fill 2 holes in your collection with one rifle, however having something new and shiny, that you have faith in, you know is accurate, has an adjustable trigger that is TO DIE FOR, a nice scope sitting on top that will go bang every time.

Just my opinion, and if we ever shoot together I will be more than happy to bring mine along...

Here is the blurb at FS

Consider a SAVAGE ARMS rifle....This is what I own.
pg12b_small.gif

Model 110GXP3 with ACCU - TRIGGER

OUR PRICE: $439.95

Offered in the ten most widely demanded hunting calibers, the 110GXP3 has Savage's famous out-of-the-box accuracy combined with a 3x9x32 factory mounted and boresighted scope and a one inch military style leather sling for easy carrying. Designed for convenience and quality, the 110GXP3 offers one of the best values in firearms available today. Ear plugs, trigger lock and target included. ALL YOU NEED IS AMMUNITION!

Also available with a durable synthetic stock and in left-hand models.

LET US SET YOU UP WITH A SAVAGE RIFLE TODAY.

Just my .02
Adam

30-06 is probably the most popular deer and bear gun in New England with 300 Mag as a more powerful second.

Third might be 30-30.

Also consider a 44 Mag lever or even 444 Marlin (extended 44 Mag).

The Savage is nice, made in Westfield. Ruger is nice too. Can't go wrong with Remington or Winchester either I guess.

Then again, you could get an NEF, and have interchangeable barrels. Think of it as a "gun system". Made in Gardner.

OR, how about something really different? How about black powder with a handgun backup (for the bear)? Thompson Omega is popular. Then you can also use in MA for deer season.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

For Dinosaur, I'd recommend from 50 BMG through 203mm (8 Inch). THe larger calibers will be destructive to the meat.

Seriously, you had some legit questions. You said 303. WHICH 303, 303 British or 303 Savage? Big difference.

I consider 30 caliber as about the best choice (and my choice), 308, 7.62x54R or 30-06 would be good choices. Any 300 Mag would also be good. 30 caliber has a LOT of bullet choices.

7mm Mag, 280 Rem and 284 Win are also OK, but make sure you use proper bullets.

35 Rem, 38-55 and 45-70 or 450 Marlin will also work, but are not good for long rrange work, due to bullet drop.

I cannot recommend a Savage. I'm sure they improved their design, but for just a little more, you can buy a Rem 700 or Win 70. Both of those are great guns. After seeing the aftermath of 2 7mm Rem Mags that came into the shop years ago, I prefer the Remington over other bolt actions. I will tell you that the ammo in question did NOT come from our shop, it was done by the gunowner. Savage 110 - 26 pieces, Remington 700 - knocked off bolt handle. Pressure estimate (by Remington) - 175,000 PSI.

Nickle said:
For Dinosaur, I'd recommend from 50 BMG through 203mm (8 Inch). THe larger calibers will be destructive to the meat.
Read "A Gun For Dinosaur" by L. Sprague de Camp. His POV character won't run a (time) safari to the Mesozoic period for anyone who weighs less than "ten stone" (140 lbs) because they need to be able to handle a .600 Nitro Express. Anything else won't kill a big dino (like T. Rex) quick enough. Classic time travel story.

Nickle said:
Seriously, you had some legit questions. You said 303. WHICH 303, 303 British or 303 Savage? Big difference.
British - the Lee-Enfield is on my list of rifles to purchase.

Nickle said:
I consider 30 caliber as about the best choice (and my choice), 308, 7.62x54R or 30-06 would be good choices. Any 300 Mag would also be good. 30 caliber has a LOT of bullet choices.
Although reading your and Grifter's (I think it was Grifter) posts about Moisins has gottem me looking at them.

Nickle said:
I cannot recommend a Savage. I'm sure they improved their design, but for just a little more, you can buy a Rem 700 or Win 70.

For just a little more, they're out of my price range. Heck, even a Savage is stretching it right now. If I buy that, I won't be building a .45 this winter unless a job comes along REAL quick. Which I don't see happening, unfortunately. :(

303 British is OK. The 303 Savage is just a little less power than the 30-30, therefore OK in Mass, NH and VT, but not Maine, and NOT for Bear.

Since a Lee-Enfield and possibly a Mosin Nagant are on your list, I'd suggest either one. And, FWIW, I used a 7.62x54R (RomAK 3, AKA Dragunov) last year in Maine, and as my long range gun (kept in the car) this year. I don't go out and buy a gun just for deer hunting. I use what I already have. If you choose to go with a Mosin Nagant, let me know. I'll hook you up with some really decent ammo.

The 303 is well up to the task at ranges reasonable for that round (<250yds).
Remember, though, that the enfields weigh a !@#$ ton and I sure would not
want to drag one of them around all day. FYI, the 303 is in the general
power range as the .308 but tends to work better with heavier bullets in the
175-200 grain range.

The 30-30 is really pretty marginal for the task. If that was all you had, and
you used very good modern bullets, and you *promised* not to take a shot
that was not broadside at 100yds or less it, would be ok.

If I was shopping for a moose gun it would be a .300 win mag for longer
shots or a 45/70 (0r .444) for more punch up close.

Good luck,
F

Have you ever thought of an 8mm Mauser out of a 98 action ?
It surely has enough punch for a moose or black bear.
It's "big sister", the 8x68S, would be a perfect choice once you would want to reach out a little bit farther.

My mistake for not mentioning the 8x57 Mauser. An excellent cartridge, and definitely up to the task.

I would consider a 308 marginal for Moose.

303 British, 8mm Mauser, 30-06 and 7.62x54R, as well as any of the 300 Mag's would be fully acceptable for Moose.

30-06 is/was my choice for this exact use. No matter where you are you will always find ammo available for this caliber. Moose, Bear, Whitetail, Russian Black Boar and even a Dall sheep have fallen to it for me. Alot of guys are liking the .270 but I think it may be slightly on the light side for an all around Northeast hunting round.

My Dad hunted for years with the 98 Mauser in 8mm. He never had a problem getting game to the ground with it either. Had some trouble with buying some ammo a time or two though.

firtree said:
If I was shopping for a moose gun it would be a .300 win mag for longer shots or a 45/70 (0r .444) for more punch up close.

I take it y'all think that a .44 Magnum lever action is too underpowered for Bullwinkle? Can you shoot .44 Mag/Special in the .444 lever action?

Also on the list is a Mod 29 (some day) and it'd be nice to have a revolver/rifle combo with the same ammo.

firtree said:
.44 mag is pretty marginal for the task, IMHO. Good lord, don't shoot a
.44mag in a .444 Marlin! Same caliber, very different cartridge.

Really?

Coyote33 said:
Also consider a 44 Mag lever or even 444 Marlin (extended 44 Mag).

Guess I thought it had the same relationship as a .357 Maximum had to .357 Magnum had to .38 Spcl. I learn something new all the time.

Nope, I think you're confusing using 44 specials in the 44mag which
is almost always OK. If you look at the OAL of a .444 and then visualize
a .44 in that chamber, you'll see that the tip of the bullet would be WAY
back from the rifling, even if there were no feeding/extraction issues.

F

Years ago I used to shoot .44 mags out of a .444 Marlin. Had to feed one at a time. Not the smartest thing I've ever done but it will shoot. NOT recommended by any means.

Back
Top Bottom