• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A bad day at the range is still better thana good day at work.

Twigg

NES Member
Sometimes.

I just got my Colt Commander back from the shop after having a tastefull beavertail added so the annoying nub under the hammer won't chew the web between my thumb and forefinger into hamburger again.
I brought a couple hundred rounds with me, figgured I'd complete the break-in process. I've had a reoccuring issues with this pistol, failure to feed and go into battery. When I first got this pistol It was horrible and FTF'd like, every other round. [frown]

I took my dremel and a buffing cone, some polishing compound and polished the crap out of the feed ramp and chamber for the better part of an afternoon.

Got it to where i could run about 100 rounds through it OK at a time. Then I had the beavertail installed (Wilson). Now it gets to about 1/4 inch from closed and stops with a round nearly all the way up on the ramp, sometimes the nose of the bullet makes the chamber and she just stops cold.

I figure I'll go back to polishing the ramp again and see what happens.

I put it away and took out the AR. I had the annoyingly loud brake removed and had a flash supressor installed and wanted to check my zero. Once that was done I loaded a box of Wolf .223 and loaded the mag into the rifle.

Yeah, Wolf. [thinking] What was I thinking ? [angry]
Apparently some folks here think it works fine so I just had to see how it would run in mine. Well, I found out it don't. [angry]

First five rounds would not eject and after the sixth round she locked up tighter than a German virgin. Bolt is stuck, Won't go backward, won't go forward. [angry2]

I swear to God and Eugene Stoner if I ever get this rifle un-stuck I wil never, ever, ever, never, never, never chamber another round of this crappy, crappity, crap "ammo". [frown]

Tomorrow I'm going to try threading a brass rod down from the muzzle and attempt tapping the round out. Once its done I'm stripping the remaing rounds out of the mag and burning them in a fire so they will never ever harm another unsuspecting AR again. [angry]

Then I'm going out and buying some good ammo and go back to the range.

That is all.

Just a heads up. If the bolt is frozen in battery no matter how hard you smash from the muzzle end of the rifle via a punch rod you aren't going to get the bolt to unlock. It needs to be pulled from the carrier to rotate. Id recomend getting a good strong grip on the charging handle and just driving the butt-stock into the ground.

Also, my buddies S&W also doesn't like to feed all the time, is this a known problem with 1911s? He has the same problem, it will go 3/4 of the way into battery and then stop, usually on the last round.

Mike

Regarding your 1911, maybe post some info in the "Build it Yourself" section, maybe with some pictures? Someone might be able to solve your problem. "The internet" says that more 1911s have been ruined with too much dremel-polishing than anything else, so beware.

It sounds like you may not have a failure to feed, but actually have the classic 3-point jam.

Just a heads up. If the bolt is frozen in battery no matter how hard you smash from the muzzle end of the rifle via a punch rod you aren't going to get the bolt to unlock. It needs to be pulled from the carrier to rotate. Id recomend getting a good strong grip on the charging handle and just driving the butt-stock into the ground.

Mike

Works like a charm...

Stop polishing,take the barrel out of the gun.See if you can drop a new round in the chamber,and take it out with out any resistance.Your chamber might have to be finished reamed. jim

Back
Top Bottom