• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9x21's whining thread

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
Oh... I noticed a couple of the cowboy folks pull guns out of their holsters in the parking lot without warning!! [thinking] Do they not make use of safe tables in their sport? (this is an honest question. I'm not trying to be a dick.)

I've never used a "safe table" in my entire life and I've gone in and out of the holster around many people over the years. Nobody ever got hurt. [wink]

IMO safe tables are pretty ghey, but then again I am a prick. [shocked]

A great time and another awesome tribute to JK... I enjoyed shooting the games I don't normally play. I was bummed out I didn't get to shoot the USPSA stage but I ran short on time and had to head home to take care of a few things. When my squad got there a whole squad was waiting to shoot and the squad before still had four or five to go. I just couldn't wait.
Thanks to all of you who put so much work in to this match.

Oh... I noticed a couple of the cowboy folks pull guns out of their holsters in the parking lot without warning!! [thinking] Do they not make use of safe tables in their sport? (this is an honest question. I'm not trying to be a dick.)

Safe tables are pretty much a USPSA/IDPA thing from what I have seen. We never had them in PPC or other matches. I believe the Cowboys use Loading tables to pre load on stages other than that guns are safe because they are unloaded. Of course, you could have been witnessing an old time Gun Fight [rofl]

I've never used a "safe table" in my entire life and I've gone in and out of the holster around many people over the years. Nobody ever got hurt. [wink]

IMO safe tables are pretty ghey, but then again I am a prick. [shocked]

Well I've seen the end of a muzzle before and don't like it thank you. Not saying you, but I've seen a shooter take out a long gun from his car, point it towards the pits that I was in, and dropped the hammer. I'm fine with safe tables at matches, but then again I'm NOT a prick. [smile]

One thing that I think we would benefit from is a specific loading/unloading point for those of us who carry. Having to walk around and find an SO can be a drag.

One thing that I think we would benefit from is a specific loading/unloading point for those of us who carry. Having to walk around and find an SO can be a drag.

You shouldn't need to carry anyway! Why would you do such a thing? It's safe. [laugh]

So you wouldn't mind if I point an unloaded gun at you?

No problem but be prepared for the response [shocked]

Of course I am also a very strong supporter of a "Hot Range" and have shot matches and officiated matches that use them.

remember, some of us have been shooting a little longer than 4 or 5 years competitively so we have seen a lot more than IDPA has to offer

Last edited:
Well I've seen the end of a muzzle before and don't like it thank you. Not saying you, but I've seen a shooter take out a long gun from his car, point it towards the pits that I was in, and dropped the hammer. I'm fine with safe tables at matches, but then again I'm NOT a prick. [smile]

I find a swift kick to the chest prevents this from happening in the future.

So you wouldn't mind if I point an unloaded gun at you?

So because there isn't a safe table you're going to point a unloaded gun at me? The logic of a safe table fails me. Either you are safe handling firearms or you are not. If you are not you are kicked off the range it's pretty simple.

I think my wiseass remark was misinterpreted. My point was that just because the gun is unloaded doesn't mean you can safely wave it about willy-nilly like I've seen the occasional cowboy shooter do. The reason I like safe tables is the call isn't 'he handled his gun unsafely', it's 'he took his gun out of the holster in the parking lot'. The latter leaves no room for debate. I have no problem with hot ranges, as long as guns stay in the holster when not shooting.

I'd have no problem on a hot range with no rules beyond 'don't be a dumbass' with anyone in this thread.

IMO safe tables are pretty ghey, [shocked]
Without doubt, that is the most ignorant thing I have ever read about the shooting sports
Clearly, while you are head mod & post keeper, you must know very little about GUN SAFETY!
Thank you for this forum, but, PLEASE stay away from competition shooting.

PS.
And these asides, only take away from the memory of Mr. Kelly.

Last edited:
No problem but be prepared for the response [shocked]

Of course I am also a very strong supporter of a "Hot Range" and have shot matches and officiated matches that use them.

remember, some of us have been shooting a little longer than 4 or 5 years competitively so we have seen a lot more than IDPA has to offer

Gary, that is almost as dumb as Derek's comments.
But thank you for working that USPSA stage[wink]!
PS.

Last edited:
Without doubt, that is the most ignorant thing I have ever read about the shooting sports
Clearly, while you are head mod & post keeper, you must know very little about GUN SAFETY!

PS.

Really? Isn't that a little bit contradictory on your part, and insulting as hell to Derek? I'm sure that in making that statement you are aware of Derek's shooting history?

I've shot both Hot and Cold IDPA matches and never felt any less safe at either one. Each have a slightly different set of rules you have to follow to stay safe. Just because a club runs a Hot range doesn't mean people will start ignoring firearms safety and start shooting up the club... Blood won't "run in the streets" as the libs like to say.

Hot range? Act accordingly.

Cold range? Act accordingly.

The only advantage I see to running Hot ranges for matches is time savings. But that's about it.

Really? Isn't that a little bit contradictory on your part, and insulting as hell to Derek? I'm sure that in making that statement you are aware of Derek's shooting history?
Not sure what is the contradiction?

Derek not only made a homophobic statement (referencing "Gheys") but also dismisses widely accepted COMPETITIVE safe gun practice nationwide.
I really don't care about his shooting history, did he win Sunday?

Not sure what is the contradiction?

Derek not only made a homophobic statement (referencing "Gheys") but also dismisses widely accepted COMPETITIVE safe gun practice nationwide.
I really don't care about his shooting history, did he win Sunday?

The contradiction was you saying that he must not know much about gun safety. If you follow proper firearm safety procedures, you don't need the safe table.

As far as winning, ask him yourself. We were there to have fun and raise money, which was accomplished. So yes, I'd say he won. We all did.

I personally don't care about the safe tables. If the club or sanctioning body requires them as an extra step to ensure safety, then that's the rule and I'll follow it.

Hey this is a great topic- maybe a mod can split this thread so John, Derek, myself and anyone else can trash talk each other.

Yeah, in memory of John Kelly- we had a great time are raised some great money for the cause!

Cool! A mod went and made someone their own out yourself thread!

I think your stance is lame. I feel as though all of these overextended safety practices are really really lame.

We can't have hot ranges in IDPA and USPSA- they would have to change all the commands!! Load and Make Ready wouldn't make sense anymore! I guess in USPSA they only say Make Ready- so that could mean get into position or something!

PS.

This is hilarious. Seriously hilarious.

Gary, that is almost as dumb as Derek's comments.
But thank you for working that USPSA stage[wink]!
PS.

Having shot many matches with John Kelly and worked matches with him, I disagree. He was also a proponent of the Hot Range. It was a very common practice at Nashua for IDPA and NH State Championships.

I knew John very well and good or bad, we shared some very similar views on many things. I don't know how much time you spent with him on or off the range but I do appreciate you standing up for his memory. I still miss my friend and probably always will.

Just remember John, Life is a hot range. If you can not trust people with guns to act in a responsible way whether on or off a range, they do not belong participating in the sports we enjoy until they can be trusted. I have had more guns pointed at me on a range than anywhere else

The butthurtness from John is epic.

tumblr_lbkydhAhc11qe6o2ao1_500.jpg

Seriously though safe tables are gay. If it makes you feel safe that's awesome.

Just remember John, Life is a hot range. If you can not trust people with guns to act in a responsible way whether on or off a range, they do not belong participating in the sports we enjoy until they can be trusted. I have had more guns pointed at me on a range than anywhere else

I'm not sure 'trust' is a good choice of words here. I'd argue- at least for the moment, that if you have a cold range the chance of someone having a negligent discharge is lessened. If the range was hot they where the hell do you work on guns? At the safe table? I'm hoping no one would argue that working on firearms (fixing, cleaning, etc) is something that should done with ammo all over the place.

On another somewhat related point... yeah- there are some people that I don't trust with guns! Whether it's a hot or cold range- there are some people that are just unsafe with firearms! Period.

On another somewhat related point... yeah- there are some people that I don't trust with guns! Whether it's a hot or cold range- there are some people that are just unsafe with firearms! Period.
Then tell them to GTF off of the range. It's simple. Why the hell would you allow someone to shoot with you who you don't trust with a gun.

That's like jumping in to the passenger seat of a drunk driver and saying "Well I have my seat belt on..."

Back
Top Bottom