8mm mauser ammo

I am looking for shops that sell 8mm in bulk, any suggestions? Just purchased a mauser m48 and looking forward to shooting it today.

H-S in Auburn had some. I think it was 50 rounds for $25. Not too good of a deal, if you ask me.

I was going to put 500 rounds up for sale later today. It is mixed surplus with brass and steel cases. If interested pm me and I will get some pics and a breakdown of head stamps and such. If shipping to Ma or NE states I am looking for $200 shipped.

i bought m48 w/o putting enough thought into what am i going to shoot.
8mm is not THAT common out there and pricey if you can find it.
i bought a 100 rounds from a member shot a little bit and now it's gathering dust in the safe.
that was dumb of me. need think better next time

I bought a case of '53 Yugo at Christmas to feed those hungry little mouths. Case cost $275, but the dealer is a friend of mine so I got it at $5 over his cost of $245. He had two left at the time.

MS

Bear in mind your application; Romanian is light ball, lacquered cases, and very, very dirty. Yugo is close to WWII spec, but quality control in terms of powder amount and hard primers are an issue; a 22# Wolff spring takes care of that. Turk ammo is mil-spec but has very hot loads. I have not shot Greek, Ecuador, Czech, or Iranian 8mm.

MS

Agreed on the application as I specifically wanted the
lighter load for my gew88 and hakim. As far as dirty, so far it's been no worse then other surplus I've used in the past.

it's around, GFA has that and some sniper grade, I bought some when there was a group buy and have nothing to shoot it with.

Was checking out prices. The 54R that Mosins shoot is 19-20 cents a round, and 8mm is 40-50 cents a round. Why the huge difference?

Was checking out prices. The 54R that Mosins shoot is 19-20 cents a round, and 8mm is 40-50 cents a round. Why the huge difference?

because some countries made an assload more of one round than the other, plus 54r is more glorious in defense of Motherland and should be affordable enough to an average American peasant.

Bear in mind your application; Romanian is light ball, lacquered cases, and very, very dirty.
And it smells like cat piss! Gentle on your shoulder, tho.

Yugo is close to WWII spec, but quality control in terms of powder amount and hard primers are an issue; a 22# Wolff spring takes care of that. Turk ammo is mil-spec but has very hot loads.
The 1950's Yugo has more than it's share of ruptured cases. I wouldn't recommend it in a semi-auto. Turk is right out for your Hakim or FN-49, too. Save it for your bolt-action.

I have not shot Greek, Ecuador, Czech, or Iranian 8mm.
The 1940-1950's Czech is fine. Typically mixed headstamps with multiple powder types..not match ammo, but it shoots pretty good, better if sorted by headstamp. Really long projo.

Also add Egyptian 8mm to the mix...comes in 15-round boxes, also smells like cat pee. Shoots nicely, tho.

Data from an earlier teardown that I did (I can post pics if anyone's interested.)

NAME........Projectile...........Projectile........Powder
.................Approx Weight...Variation(gr)...Variation(gr)
1954 YUGO......199 grains........1.8............0.6
1977 ROMY......155 grains........0.7............0.2
50's CZECH.....178 grains........1.0.....multiple powder types
1945 TURK......155 grains........1.1............0.2
1957 EGYPT.....197 grains........1.5............0.2

55_grain

I got 500 rounds of Iranian 8mm at Collector's last month for $200.00 a few hang fires but its 1950's and made in Iran. GFA in Natick has had some Turkish a while ago. I think its time to think about reloading or start using my Mosin's more.

Not to long ago you could buy a 900 round case of Yugoslavian heavy ball for $160. Then it went out of sight. The Egyptian is not that easy to find anymore. I have a couple cases of Romanian I bought when there was a show at the race Track in NH. The price tag is still on it ......Hope your sitting down, $79.00

I do know of a person who reloads 8mm and its top shelf stuff if you want to shoot for accuracy. Clean fast burning and accurate.

Not to long ago you could buy a 900 round case of Yugoslavian heavy ball for $160. Then it went out of sight. The Egyptian is not that easy to find anymore. I have a couple cases of Romanian I bought when there was a show at the race Track in NH. The price tag is still on it ......Hope your sitting down, $79.00

I do know of a person who reloads 8mm and its top shelf stuff if you want to shoot for accuracy. Clean fast burning and accurate.

I remember paying those prices as well.

DIBS! Heck, I'll give you $85 for it!!!!!

try samsco Global in FL they wont ship to Ma though but you can get a case of 1000 rounds for right around 300-350

try samsco Global in FL they wont ship to Ma though but you can get a case of 1000 rounds for right around 300-350
Watch out for that Persian stuff! Dud and hang fire city! There's a reason it's cheap and still not sold out!

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
i got some 196 gr 8mm jrs for older gun bought buy mistake payed lots with shipping and will take 200 for 200 rds its seller and bellot

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom