80% Glock 17 Frame - Build Your Own Glock Frame

They'll cook up some decent definitions. The state AG would simply harass anyone selling 80% lowers to the subjects of their state. Think of how the MA AG hassles anyone selling ammunition through the mail to MA subjects. Make selling an 80% lower in the state a felony with repurcussions akin to selling firearms without a license and you'll cut it down in a hurry.

How ? Legally it's a paper weight......

What's next when I buy sheet metal every one going to ask if I'm going to build a gun with it .

Boris and a shit load of other builders have converted glock Airsoft guns to work for a real gun .

How ? Legally it's a paper weight......

What's next when I buy sheet metal every one going to ask if I'm going to build a gun with it .

Boris and a shit load of other builders have converted glock Airsoft guns to work for a real gun .
for the childrens anything is possible. CT MA NY all regulate magazines which are just paperweights.

I'm a member of another board besides this one. One of the members there bought this, and assembled one. He's had issues with it. He updates with reports about how he's tweaked it, but I don't believe he has it being 100% reliable, yet. He's using a LW long slide and parts, and PMag magazines (which apparently have wider base plates).

I'm a member of another board besides this one. One of the members there bought this, and assembled one. He's had issues with it. He updates with reports about how he's tweaked it, but I don't believe he has it being 100% reliable, yet. He's using a LW long slide and parts, and PMag magazines (which apparently have wider base plates).

can you post a link? Very curious what's up.

And how exactly would that be enforced? No serial numbers, remember.

What would that law even look like? It would have to be so broad that a pack of gum might be considered a "firearm".
California did it by requiring all firearms to have a serial number upon pain of felony conviction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

But how do they define firearm?
Arbitrarily and capriciously. Seriously, they are about to ram that law through in CA. There is a pretty well understood definition of a firearm already. 80 percent firearms are exempt from registration because you "made" it, not because they aren't firearms.

That stupid CA law includes C&R firearms too btw. So if you own an antique with no serial number you have to put one on it.

Just discovered these lowers. After reading through the thread and looking around the internet, whats the legality of finishing one of these in MA? Would I be able to legally register it in MA since I finished it? I understand with the new AG laws it might not be to clear as of yet but I was just curious. Been wanting a Glock forever but thanks to them being some of the deadliest weapons known to man(in MA) its been difficult to get for a reasonable price).

On the first one. But on the 10th, ho-BOY the savings. [rofl]

LMK when they come up with a G43 80% lower. LOL

And Josh, you certainly CAN get Glocks of all types for not a ton more than what free'er states get them for. And in the end, an extra $100 or $150 over a lifetime - is it that significant?

When all is said and built you won't save any money.
It isn't all about saving money.

1) The obvious lack of a 4473 is appealing to some folks. Me included.
2) Glock reliability but with different ergonomics. That is actually the primary driver for me.

Here is my completed pistol. Finally. Adams Arms Brawler upper and Magpul mags. The only Glock part is the mag release spring. Stainless pins and NP3ed slide release. SSVI Tyr trigger.

7ed4f6c005c2bfa6d6c07016e042ddee.jpg

815185da552e84463ba0dce4e9648d49.jpg

I like it so far. I hate the stock sights on the Brawler. They are black on black. I have some suppressor height TFOs I'll install when I can steal back my site tool from my BIL. I'll post a report after I shoot it some time in the next week.

I just made a post about mine in another forum. This is what I wrote there:

I tried mine out again today, putting around 200 rounds through it. I have got it working pretty well, but I am having some ejection problems.

To say the ejection is "erratic" would be an understatement - I have shells landing anywhere within a 10 foot radius all around me. Ejecting to the front, back, left, right, brass to face - just about everywhere.

Also had about 10 failures to eject as well, where the empty gets trapped in the ejection port.

If I can get the ejection problem figured out I will be reasonably pleased with the Polymer80 frame. I had been contemplating picking up another one, but now I am not sure. It was a fun project but I think right now there are still some issues with the frame design that needs to be straightened out, notably the loose trigger housing pocket. It's close, but I think not quite ready for prime time.

I know there is a lot of R&D involved in something like this and the molds are ridiculously expensive, and that is why it is a little disappointing for Polymer80 to be so close to having something really good here, but I think they missed it by just this much.

I made a little video of me putting a few magazines though the pistol to show the ejection "pattern". You can clearly see shells flying everywhere!

Last edited by a moderator:
Myself and a friend built a pair of these, everything worked fine and they were a fun project. however, I couldn't get over the fact that the grip feels like holding a piece of 2x4. I improved it by doing some dremeling and stippling, but for me it was till uncomfortable. I stripped it down and put the internals into a Lonewolf frame.

I just made a post about mine in another forum. This is what I wrote there:

I tried mine out again today, putting around 200 rounds through it. I have got it working pretty well, but I am having some ejection problems.

To say the ejection is "erratic" would be an understatement - I have shells landing anywhere within a 10 foot radius all around me. Ejecting to the front, back, left, right, brass to face - just about everywhere.

Also had about 10 failures to eject as well, where the empty gets trapped in the ejection port.

If I can get the ejection problem figured out I will be reasonably pleased with the Polymer80 frame. I had been contemplating picking up another one, but now I am not sure. It was a fun project but I think right now there are still some issues with the frame design that needs to be straightened out, notably the loose trigger housing pocket. It's close, but I think not quite ready for prime time.

I know there is a lot of R&D involved in something like this and the molds are ridiculously expensive, and that is why it is a little disappointing for Polymer80 to be so close to having something really good here, but I think they missed it by just this much.

I made a little video of me putting a few magazines though the pistol to show the ejection "pattern". You can clearly see shells flying everywhere!

I haven't really looked into this frame, but just from experience developing Iron Glock, 9mm doesn't have a whole lot of power and in pistol building in general, very small mistakes can spell out a trouble. If AK receiver is off a few mm here and there, it will run like a champ, but for pistols fraction of a mm in a wrong spot could be a difference in cycling or not cycling. Also, I'm not sure how familiar you are with Glocks in general, when I started I literally never fired one, so a lot of my experience was comparing the platform to whatever I was building.

If you put a 17 lower parts kit into it, you are out of luck. If you have 22 LPK in it, you can try .40 (foh-tay) [laugh] same mag, different barrel (same slide). .40 may power through any tight spots that you may have. Most old glocks are looser than a Roman whores in a port city. Don't be afraid to have your glock be fairly loose. Conversely, also make sure that no part of LP is loose on the inside. I've had issues when LPK parts (trigger-linkeage-ejector) move a round a bit, causing unpredictable ejection of lack of thereof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Myself and a friend built a pair of these, everything worked fine and they were a fun project. however, I couldn't get over the fact that the grip feels like holding a piece of 2x4. I improved it by doing some dremeling and stippling, but for me it was till uncomfortable. I stripped it down and put the internals into a Lonewolf frame.

[rofl] There is no perfect Glock frame, no matter what it is, people will complain about it, stock Glock, Timberwolf or this one ... there will never be a consensus.

I ran a competition (with prizes) to have people to come up with a Glock frame/handle they likes and all heard were crickets. I don't feel bad for Glock designers, it's a loose loose situation for them.

Conversely, also make sure that no part of LP is loose on the inside. I've had issues when LPK parts (trigger-linkeage-ejector) move a round a bit, causing unpredictable ejection of lack of thereof.

And that right there is one of the major problems with these frames. Many people have reported loose trigger housing pockets, to the point where the trigger housing can rock front to back. The "fix" for this is to shim it with a strip of material such as a cut up credit card.

I had to do this with mine, so now the trigger housing is tighter in the frame, but I think this is maybe one of the reasons I am having the ejection issues.

I'm going to keep running it with the hope that it may just need some more breaking in, but I am not sure I really want to spend a whole lot of time and money working on this. Like I said, it was a fun project and I am glad I did it, but it is really nothing more right now than a range toy, so if I can get it to the point where it works 98% of the time I guess I can be content with that.

Last edited:
Very nice. What was the total cost of the build?
150 for the frame
200 for lower parts (SSVI Tyr is 150)
512 Adams Arms Brawler upper
103 TFO sights

$965.

If it doesn't work I'll buy some other production lower and swap the parts. I do like the ergos better than Glock ergos.

Doesn't count the $1200 mill I bought with my brother to do this and other 80 percent stuff. But we've done 3 or 4 ar lowers each so that is amortizing nicely.

And that right there is one of the major problems with these frames. Many people have reported loose trigger housing pockets, to the point where the trigger housing can rock front to back. The "fix" for this is to shim it with a strip of material such as a cut up credit card.

I had to do this with mine, so now the trigger housing is tighter in the frame, but I think this is maybe one of the reasons I am having the ejection issues.

I'm going to keep running it with the hope that it may just need some more breaking in, but I am not sure I really want to spend a whole lot of time and money working on this. Like I said, it was a fun project and I am glad I did it, but it is really nothing more right now than a range toy, so if I can get it to the point where it works 98% of the time I guess I can be content with that.

ugh, yeah, that's not cool, not cool at all, the ejector piece needs to be on it's axis to ride in the groove. Credit card would work itself loose unless there is a pin that goes through. How the **** did they **** it up? LPK is very consistent in width.

I'd put some machinist blue and see any wearmarks, i.e. if there is any violent rubbing or jamming on the metal parts. You may have a surface catching another and getting bumped over after loosing lots of energy. Is that true that on this frame the rear rails are plastic, not steel?

150 for the frame
200 for lower parts (SSVI Tyr is 150)
512 Adams Arms Brawler upper
103 TFO sights

$965.

If it doesn't work I'll buy some other production lower and swap the parts. I do like the ergos better than Glock ergos.

Doesn't count the $1200 mill I bought with my brother to do this and other 80 percent stuff. But we've done 3 or 4 ar lowers each so that is amortizing nicely.

holy shit, that's a lot of dough, LPK was something like $75 and complete upper is around $300, but sometimes you can get refurb 22 slide for around $200(Apex?) and swap the barrel.

The slides isn't really a sunk cost, they are commodity and at least common Glock slides has kept their price pretty well.

ugh, yeah, that's not cool, not cool at all, the ejector piece needs to be on it's axis to ride in the groove. Credit card would work itself loose unless there is a pin that goes through. How the **** did they **** it up? LPK is very consistent in width.

I'd put some machinist blue and see any wearmarks, i.e. if there is any violent rubbing or jamming on the metal parts. You may have a surface catching another and getting bumped over after loosing lots of energy. Is that true that on this frame the rear rails are plastic, not steel?

Yes, rear rails are plastic. They are one of the things that you have to machine out yourself. I spent a lot of time on those and they seem to be as they are supposed to be - no unusual rubbing or binding that I can see.

I did have an issue with the trigger bar rubbing on the underside of the slide, but I took care of that before the last shooting session.

Everything seems to be working smoothly except for the ejection issue. The shim I had in the trigger housing pocket did move slightly (I'll have to glue that in or something), but I am not sure that is entirely the issue. I may play around with springs too to see if that might help.

And I have no idea how they could have made such an error in the size of the trigger housing pocket - it is so oversized you would think that someone would have noticed before they went into full production. That, and the size and shape of the grip, are my two biggest issues with this frame. Otherwise I am fairly happy with it, and I think the concept is great, but they just fell a little short in the execution of it.

Yes, rear rails are plastic. They are one of the things that you have to machine out yourself. I spent a lot of time on those and they seem to be as they are supposed to be - no unusual rubbing or binding that I can see.

I did have an issue with the trigger bar rubbing on the underside of the slide, but I took care of that before the last shooting session.

Everything seems to be working smoothly except for the ejection issue. The shim I had in the trigger housing pocket did move slightly (I'll have to glue that in or something), but I am not sure that is entirely the issue. I may play around with springs too to see if that might help.

And I have no idea how they could have made such an error in the size of the trigger housing pocket - it is so oversized you would think that someone would have noticed before they went into full production. That, and the size and shape of the grip, are my two biggest issues with this frame. Otherwise I am fairly happy with it, and I think the concept is great, but they just fell a little short in the execution of it.

Have you tried that slide setup on an OEM frame to rule out a problem in the slide configuration? I wouldn't be surprised if something as simple as an aftermarket recoil spring was causing your woes.

Back
Top Bottom