8 AGs tell SCOTUS suppressors are protected under 2A

Well this sure raises my eyebrows a bit.

Definitely raises eyebrows... it could have implications in either direction. It's a shame that the recent Virginia Beach shooting involved a suppressor. Just like Las Vegas, you could almost believe someone does these horrific things on purpose every time something makes it to consideration of the higher courts.

There's also the 10th Amendment question that could have come up, but I gather only the 2A one is under review. One would think a government that has officially defined a suppressor as a firearm would be estopped from claiming a suppressor is not a firearm.

I don't think the SC is ready to repeal NFA34. Maybe reduce federal bureaucracy and allow us to just collect that $200 tax at the dealers when we buy our NFA items, but this seems less important. Besides, seems like suppressors are on the rise in popularity in government.
They're not, it they were the HPA wouldn't have been pulled at the first shooting after it passed the House. The House is a different beast compared to the Senate, a place where Republicans are closer to the center than the right; the Senate is the place anything pro gun goes to die.

President's are apprehensive about signing anything pro-gun, it hasn't been done since FOPA, but that thing was an abomination and it doesn't protect people with the safe passage wording in the lovely Northeast states.

I don't think SCOTUS is repealing the NFA, but I can see suppressors being cleared. The $200 tax, the months of wait times, registration, and various state laws regarding various NFA items for a thing that on it's own poses no danger in the wrong hands. I can understand a 4473 for buying a suppressor, but the ATF hoops and tax I don't.

I think the case can also be made today for the rationale behind SBS and SBR NFA registration too. When guns like the Mossberg Shockwave (which 20 years ago would have been the epitome of a sawed off shotgun) and the KSG exist now, the SBS has been made irrelevant. Pistol braces has already done that to the SBR and what I don't understand is what exactly does the SBR law protect the public from? It's easier than ever to take an AR pistol and slap a collapsible stock on it and go shoot up a bunch of people. The SBR law is simply gov't red tape that's used as a paper crime and an additional charge if someone used an SBR to commit a crime after the crime was already committed.

Machine guns is the third rail, the masses have been re-educated to believe that no one should ever have machine guns. SCOTUS will not touch that, nor destructive devices.

I do wish SCOTUS would strike down the points system for imported guns. Absolutely no reason for that bureaucratic nonsense to still be applied when all guns sold thru an FFL go through NICS. That points system is from a different age.

Do I see any of this happening? No, SCOTUS is gun shy, even with Gorsuch and Kavanaugh on the bench now the problem is Roberts and we all know how much he loves affirming taxes.

If they don't have to take up this case, they're not going to. I feel the reason the NYC case got accepted was because it was a gross violation of the 2nd amendment, while suppressors made in Kansas is a dispute between the state of Kansas and the federal gov't.

However, I do think the only way suppressors will ever come off the NFA is via SCOTUS.

Last edited:
In an alternative universe, using a suppressor would be legally required in nanny states. What a strange twist of fate that the government has made it expensive to use a device that greatly reduces the nuisance and hearing damage of firearms. Oh well.

I hope they are never "required". That would be terrible.

Back
Top Bottom