• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

8 AGs tell SCOTUS suppressors are protected under 2A

So, if suppressors are not firearms, then why the NFA restrictions? If it is ruled an accessory, then will the tax stamp go away? I don’t need a stamp for a extended mag release or a scope. Either has a likely chance of killing someone when not mounted on a firearm.

Last edited:
I would love to see this be resolved by SCOTUS, and would argue that since the stamps, and LTC Fee's for that matter were violations of the Constitution all should be refunded.

I am trying to think positive, but a little bit of me does not trust SCOTUS to make this right.

I don't think the SC is ready to repeal NFA34. Maybe reduce federal bureaucracy and allow us to just collect that $200 tax at the dealers when we buy our NFA items, but this seems less important. Besides, seems like suppressors are on the rise in popularity in government.

.gov should be forced to tell us why they're so tightly regulated in the first place. The current ban was passed based on lies, fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

If anyone was even one iota concerned with "gun safety" they'd be mandated, not banned.

.gov should be forced to tell us why they're so tightly regulated in the first place. The current ban was passed based on lies, fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

If anyone was even one iota concerned with "gun safety" they'd be mandated, not banned.

Agreed. Many gun unfriendly countries outside the US either don't regulate, or even require their use.

in 1934, a $200 tax posed a significant economic barrier. This, among other things, was sadly not addressed in Miller v. US, 307 U.S. 174 (1939). Unfortunately, the Miller decision was beyond obtuse and completely ignored any actual legal reasoning. It just rubber stamped the state's argument that "blankity-blank double barrel shotgun bearing serial number blank was never used in militia". Any SCOTUS case regarding NFA items would need to overturn Miller.

“They reached their finding, in part, by ruling that suppressors are not protected under District of Columbia v. Heller (2008) because they are not “bearable.”

Nor are they arms to be regulated by NFA.

in 1934, a $200 tax posed a significant economic barrier.

FWIW, $3,756.90 in 2019 greenbacks.

The $200 tax stamp was chosen because it was the precise cost of a Thompson at the time. Already a crippling price for the average citizen, so they decided to double it for good measure.

I would love to see this be resolved by SCOTUS, and would argue that since the stamps, and LTC Fee's for that matter were violations of the Constitution all should be refunded.

At this point, they can keep the $800 they have of mine in suppressor stamps and just let me buy them at my local hardware store from now on.

Last edited:
You guys are funny, I'd pay the 'tax' if the paperwork and wait went away. Then, when dogs and cats don't start living together, do away with the tax.

“They reached their finding, in part, by ruling that suppressors are not protected under District of Columbia v. Heller (2008) because they are not “bearable.”

Nor are they arms to be regulated by NFA.

If all fed and state laws WRT suppressors were repealed, I would ‘bear’ a suppressor all the time in my front pants pocket just to show my ‘happiness’.

In an alternative universe, using a suppressor would be legally required in nanny states. What a strange twist of fate that the government has made it expensive to use a device that greatly reduces the nuisance and hearing damage of firearms. Oh well.

In an alternative universe, using a suppressor would be legally required in nanny states. What a strange twist of fate that the government has made it expensive to use a device that greatly reduces the nuisance and hearing damage of firearms. Oh well.

...and in much of anti-gun Europe they are OTC items.

Even if suppressors became a thing again in a place like Mass, they'd still stick it to us with the whole "pin and weld/ no threaded barrels allowed."

Even if they became legal to possess, there would still be a loophole for them to make sure we couldn't legally USE them.

Back
Top Bottom