8/44 CMP Range report and big problem

Now you just need to find some of that excellent Danish AMA surplus ammo to round things out.

Great rifle.

Picked up a better screw today. Couldn't get an in the white wood screw with a flat head, so I got a slightly undersized shoulder-less flat top in brass that doesn't obscure the coin as much, but still digs deeply into the stock to hold it tight.

I'll have to wait for a new pic as I've packed the op-rod waiting for the label - it didn't come today - 4 business days. I hope this doesn't go into next week.

T

No, they are snail-mailing a return mailing label to put on my package as I understand it. I assume postage paid by addressee? I was to and have printed out a copy if the original invoice.

T

Last edited:
Single slot brass screw looks much better.

I had to return some sights on a CMP SG, and they returned the parts overnight at their expense. I sent a prepaid RTS label with my shipment but they still overnighted the replacement parts to me at their expense.

Evidently Phil forgot to tell customer service; they are mailing the label today. My email of last week stirred things up - boy, they must be busy down there.

T

I would think......I am surprised though that they don't email you a return ship label?

I assume it is a peel and stick label with postage for my package and a code telling CMP what they're getting.

T

Received a FedEx overnight peel and stick label last week. CMP emailed me today and said the rod had been replaced and will ship this week.

T

Awesome.....just in time for the last garand mat h @ Pembroke on Oct 13th! I have plans to be there.

On Monday CMP they said they'd 'ship this week'. Hasn't come yet.
On Monday Pullman said they'd ship Tuesday for the Kar88. Hasn't come yet.

[angry2]

T

The new op rod came today, but actually it was the old op-rod (!) as I remembered the distinctive pattern of bluing loss on the right lower side and the bottom of the upper end. I guess they just pounded out the old one.

I installed the rod and performed the first three levels of the tilt test - and the rifle passed all three. When I went to put Humpty Dumpty back together again, a second section of the op-rod spring fell out! I had noticed the last four inches of the spring had significant rust when I first received the Garand; I cleaned and greased it at the time, assuming it was surface rust. Well, I guess the rust was worse that I thought as that's where the portion snapped off.

Would you believe this? I've had the rifle a month and have only got to shoot it once. I emailed CMP and asked if they'd send me a replacement spring.

T

Last edited:
I was about to order one or two springs from Orion, but the minimum order is $20. Anyone want to piggyback on my order?

T

Basically your right on par with most field grades, it cycled it loaded it went bang.....next. Im pretty sure thats how they get graded for field grade or rack grade. About the only thing they might check is the headspace ?
Still sucks to hear about this. This is why and I thank the garand guru's at my range who said " get a spring kit with every rifle you order, you will thank us" remember the parts are only as young as the last over haul but that doesnt mean a spring couldnt be used. That spring could be 60 years old but checked out ok after the last check up in the 19??s....explains the rusty gas cylender area i was asking you about earlier.
If it helps I have a op rod spring thats serviceable ie: worked flawlessly until I replaced it just cause I had a new one. I work in hanover if you want to pick it up next week ? im on vacation this week.

- - - Updated - - -

I was about to order one or two springs from Orion, but the minimum order is $20. Anyone want to piggyback on my order?

T

yes i live in kingston and work in hanover I could use a few things

Basically your right on par with most field grades, it cycled it loaded it went bang.....next. Im pretty sure thats how they get graded for field grade or rack grade. About the only thing they might check is the headspace ?
Still sucks to hear about this. This is why and I thank the garand guru's at my range who said " get a spring kit with every rifle you order, you will thank us" remember the parts are only as young as the last over haul but that doesnt mean a spring couldnt be used. That spring could be 60 years old but checked out ok after the last check up in the 19??s....explains the rusty gas cylender area i was asking you about earlier.
If it helps I have a op rod spring thats serviceable ie: worked flawlessly until I replaced it just cause I had a new one. I work in hanover if you want to pick it up next week ? im on vacation this week.

- - - Updated - - -

yes i live in kingston and work in hanover I could use a few things

Mac, that would be great. I just want something in it to go bang for now. I'm next door in Plymouth.

T

Last edited:
pick up the one from me and you can at least shoot it this weekend, then get it ready for oct 13th at pembroke???

Thanks to mac1911 and a very strong lightly used OP-rod spring, my Danish Garand is finally ready to rock.

Don't know when, though...

T

Hanson rod and gun has their cmp " shoot" on the 1st sat of the month. 8am . Very laid back. You can shoot from the bench if you like. Hanson runs a very introduction like shoot most new shooters go off the bench or prone for the entire event.
This is not a match and scores are not sent in to cmp. There are also a few guys Paul or Russ who have the guages and will check your rifle if you ask. I have muzzle guage only. I cant say for sure if I can make it that day. I'm off to Pembroke on the 13th. They have ammo and targets plus a few rifles and carbines. 35$ for 60 rounds or 5$ for targets if you bring your own ammo.
You still need to up your order for orion7 I need 2 spring over haul kits. G98b I believe.

Back
Top Bottom