7.62 vs 5.56 AR Style rifle

You may be right about the actual lower/upper matchup, but the DPMS, SR-25, and LaRue use the same mags while the AR-10 has its own separate, non-compatible design which is NOT the original AR-10 design.

I stand corrected on the magazines, when I was looking at purchasing an AR in 308 platform all of them at the time were playing around with various magazines choices. The choices were the modified FAL, M14 or the SR25s. I ended up going with an AR-10 because of the cross compatibility between other manufacturers. I believe Bushmaster and DPMS went a similar route with their receivers.

If your going 308, may want to take a look at LMTs new offering:

MRP_308.jpg

MRP_308a.jpg

MRP_308b.jpg

MRP_308c.jpg

I stand corrected on the magazines, when I was looking at purchasing an AR in 308 platform all of them at the time were playing around with various magazines choices. The choices were the modified FAL, M14 or the SR25s. I ended up going with an AR-10 because of the cross compatibility between other manufacturers. I believe Bushmaster and DPMS went a similar route with their receivers.

I'm pretty sure Bushmaster, DPMS, and Remington all use the DPMS/SR-25 mag because they're all owned by the same company.

I'm pretty sure Bushmaster, DPMS, and Remington all use the DPMS/SR-25 mag because they're all owned by the same company.
The Bushmasters used to use the FAL mags. If they still make a .308 platform, I'm not sure if they switched that out for the DPMS mags or not.

I have an Armalite AR-10 lower with a Noveske 21" upper and other than the fact that it's heavy I have no complaints. It's accurate, runs perfectly, and preban 20-round mags are available. Other than amusement I have no real motivation to own it, however. So many factors favor 5.56, and there is a reason I have a few AR-15s and only one AR-10.

This is the way to go if you want .308 in an AR platform and live in a free state. I haven't seen an OBR in person, but LaRue's AR-15 stealth uppers are very accurate and well made. Word is that they are bringing the monolithic railed upper from the OBR to the 5.56 platform and will be offering OBR "light" uppers, with one benefit being lighter weight when compared to the current stealth uppers.

FWIW, there's also the LWRC REPR and HK MR762 (417). No personal experience with either, but have heard/read good things. Those will both be very pricey...

Back
Top Bottom