• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.577 Snider Case Trimmer

The Goose

NES Member
I will confess that I stole this from a guy on Youtube (NorthernInventor I think). At any rate it gave me an opportunity to practice on my new Sherline lathe. Some turning and facing work. Took a rod of tool steel and turned it down to fit loosely inside of 24 gauge shotshell brass. I turned the other side down to 1/4" to serve as a pilot for a 3/4" counterbore. When I chuck the counterbore and pilot into the lathe I just push the already shortened case onto the pilot until it stops. Perfect case length every time. Works like a charm. I feel quite accomplished.

A bit like an ID version of the Little Crow trimmers that locate on a shoulder rather than the base of the cartridge. Guess this would work on other straight wall cartridges too. Nice work!

Yeah, would probably work on other straight wall cases, but would have to be made for each case. The problem that I always had with the .577 Snider is that to my knowledge nobody makes a case trimmer. It is hard to cut the case to exact length with almost any method that I use. This way if I get close I can finish it in the trimmer which is what I do with most other smaller diameter cases that I form to other calibers.

Back
Top Bottom