550B confusion

That is an interesting point on wide mouths on the sizing dies, it seems to make sense. I do love my lee carbide dies, but if I run into issues I suppose I'll ditch them.

I just bought a 550B this past weekend and the reloading "expert" at the store told me also that the dillon dies will generally function better on it than another brand. I didn't already have dies for 9mm so i went with his suggestion and spent the extra $20-$25 on the dillons. I figure i'll be using them for years so i might as well, even if the would be problems from another brand were few and far between.

I loaded a few test rounds which functioned fine thru my M&P9c so last night i put together my first box of 50 in about 15 min. I was taking my time and checking powder charges here and there but i can tell that once you get things tweaked right you will be able to do some serious volume. The only trouble i've had is user error. (and the spent primers hit the floor instead of the bin here and there but a shop vac makes a good solution to that)

What is a typical variance in powder charge with the 550B? I was seeing a few tenths of a grain difference in some of my measured charges. Is that normal?

What is a typical variance in powder charge with the 550B? I was seeing a few tenths of a grain difference in some of my measured charges. Is that normal?

I've found it varies a lot with the type of powder..... Most ball/flake powders meter pretty well through mine and typically are +/- a tenth or so.... Stick powders is another story and have seen those meter pretty poorly with +/- several tenths range common.... Have also found that keeping your powder refilled so it doesn't fall below half of your reservoir and being sure that you wait until the case has a chance to fully fill helps as well......

Well I was doing some more reading up, and it seems the lee dies work well with the dillon press. Depending how it works out, I'll see what dies I end up ordering in the future. If it works as others say it seems to, I like the idea of using the auto-disk for my various pistol calibers so I'll probably continue to use Lee dies (I know, I know).

Ugh, now I just need to wait until Tuesday for this thing to show up. I guess I can sort and tumble some brass.

Mike

I just bought a 550B this past weekend and the reloading "expert" at the store told me also that the dillon dies will generally function better on it than another brand. I didn't already have dies for 9mm so i went with his suggestion and spent the extra $20-$25 on the dillons. I figure i'll be using them for years so i might as well, even if the would be problems from another brand were few and far between.

I loaded a few test rounds which functioned fine thru my M&P9c so last night i put together my first box of 50 in about 15 min. I was taking my time and checking powder charges here and there but i can tell that once you get things tweaked right you will be able to do some serious volume. The only trouble i've had is user error. (and the spent primers hit the floor instead of the bin here and there but a shop vac makes a good solution to that)

You might want to re-think using a shop vac in the reloading room/area. Broom works just fine.

I don't know if anyone know this or not,but Mike Dillon's original 450 press was meant for pistol reloading and eventually morphed into rifle as well. He designed the press after he inherited a Thompson SMG and wanted to reload 45 ACP but the progressive presses of the day were very expensive. I've yet to find a powder measure that will run smoothly with extruded powders.

Is that in reference to getting lead/powder dust airborne or an errant spark causing some sort of detonation?
Or do you just dislike shop vacs?

There is a potential fire hazard when using a vacuum to suck up the spilled powder that will inevitably end up on the floor with the spent primers. I use a broom and a dust pan.

I've yet to find a powder measure that will run smoothly with extruded powders.

I load match grade rifle ammo, which I shoot competitively, using the Hornady measure throwing Reloader-15. I've used the same measure on my 550 and my lock and load, in each case it's +/- about a tenth of a grain or so. This setup has gotten me to master and a buddy of mine to high master, so I'd say it's accurate enough.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I will definitely hold off on ordering any more dies until I see how my existing dies run on the setup. Hopefully it runs smoothly with the dies I have.

Mike

I don't know if anyone know this or not,but Mike Dillon's original 450 press was meant for pistol reloading and eventually morphed into rifle as well. He designed the press after he inherited a Thompson SMG and wanted to reload 45 ACP but the progressive presses of the day were very expensive. I've yet to find a powder measure that will run smoothly with extruded powders.

Dillon's original press was the RL 1000 with a high capacity to feed automatic weapons. His first entry level press was the 300, followed by the 450.

I got the press in today, still waiting on the shell plates, extra tool heads and primer tubes. I did mount it to the bench for now, but Ill be moving out to school in a few weeks so Ill need to build a new bench.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I got the press in today, still waiting on the shell plates, extra tool heads and primer tubes. I did mount it to the bench for now, but Ill be moving out to school in a few weeks so Ill need to build a new bench.

Mike

The "Strong Mount" is a good idea.

No I still have the press mounted at bench height. What do I gain by raising up the press?

Mike

You can stand without stooping over. Some guys like to stand, some like to sit.

If you're thinking about buying a strong mount, check out the ones from Inline Fabrication. They sell plates for lots of different presses so if you end up buying a different press you can potentially re-use the mount. (It's also a bit better quality than the Dillon IMHO.)

Lots of other nice mods and gadgets for various presses:
http://www.inlinefabrication.com

No I still have the press mounted at bench height. What do I gain by raising up the press?

Mike

Many people, myself included, find these presses easier to manipulate if they are mounted higher than bench level. I discovered this one night when I operated my 550 in stocking feet, rather than shoes. This minor change in height had quite an effect on ease of operation. I ended up making frames to mount all of my progressive machines about six in above the bench. Raising the press above the bench allows you to operate it without bending at the waist.

Hmm. Ill try it out, if need be Ill take advantage of some scrap angle iron I have and weld something up.

Mike

I've got mine on a Dillon strong mount. I reload while standing up. I've put one of those comfort mats on the floor to help my feet.

Hmm. Ill try it out, if need be Ill take advantage of some scrap angle iron I have and weld something up.

Mike

I made my own mounts using 2x6s and they work great, but I think the "Strong Mount" is the way to go as it is made specifically for the press. The only reason I made my own mounts was that Dillon had yet to introduce the "Strong Mount".

Dillon equipment is no joke. I bought a square deal first and within a year loved it and was thinking of a 550b. Years later and 10,000 of round after the 550b, 38, 9, 40, 45, 223, 243, 244, 6m, some hornets for fun, 270, a few 08 and my prize rounds, before you could buy them, I took a summer to work the rounds up to the speed I wanted, .22-250 keyhole groups @100yds with 40 grain nolser ballistic tip pushing 4,100 fps. These rounds are like freezing time, surgically implanting a grenade in a woodchuck and a second before the blast, turning the time back on. BBBBbbaaa bbbBBBOOOOoooMMMMMMm! Went 24 out of 24 that summer for a farmer, longest shot just over 280 yds... lots of loading, shooting and reloading that summer. Glassing fields and picking targets. Good times...
Tex

Back
Top Bottom