5.56/.223 rifle dies for my 550b, Stick with Dillon Dies?

I have a set of RCBS dies for my single stage press, but I'm setting up to run ammo on my 550b as well. I really like Dillon pistol dies, as these seem to run smoothly when running lots of ammo through the press (nice bevel so brass/bullets aren't getting hung up)
I'm not going to do the volume to warrant the Dillon carbine .223 set....

Any recommendations, or just spend the bit extra for the Dillon .223 set (steel dies)

Last edited:
Ditto when I pump out 223 on the 550 i prep and prime the brass a head of time it keeps the press cleaner.

Go with the manufacture you have liked so far.
Get carbide dies ....why not.
I have 223 die set in Lee , Hornady and reading. Sadly the readings are a bit rough from long term poor storage.
I cleaned them up and they do work but the innards are crusty and it marks the brass.

Go with the manufacture you have liked so far. Get carbide dies ....why not.
agree. i have a fl sizer die set from rcbs, i have to lube the cases. pain in the butt. using dillon spray-on lube, easier...but still...

You still have to lube cases when using carbide rifle dies; no real advantage there.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have 3 sets of dillon 233 dies 1 set in carbide 2 in steel I dont see the need of spending 100 dollars more for the carbide , i keep one set on the bench for the single stage and have one toolhead for the 650 and one for the 550 never noticed a difference between the 2

I have 3 sets of dillon 233 dies 1 set in carbide 2 in steel I dont see the need of spending 100 dollars more for the carbide , i keep one set on the bench for the single stage and have one toolhead for the 650 and one for the 550 never noticed a difference between the 2

Do you feel the extra cost for Dillon does is worth it (for thier standard dies) I'm general

Definitely dillon dies are worth every cent and really only a few dollars more than rcbs , my first dillon rifle dies were 30-06 for my 450 like 30+ years ago my amazement was that they resized better and smaller than the small base rcbs dies of the day

My wilson cartridge gauge got rusty from not using it never needed that step after using the dillon dies .

Definitely dillon dies are worth every cent and really only a few dollars more than rcbs , my first dillon rifle dies were 30-06 for my 450 like 30+ years ago my amazement was that they resized better and smaller than the small base rcbs dies of the day

I agree. I've pretty much replaced all replaceable non Dillon dies with Dillons and feel, if nothing else a sense of consistency.

I'd you are looking for precision rifle ammo, Redding is the only option to get dies that can control all aspects. Any other will be simple like Pistol dies, no precise control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

If you are not looking to control neck tension or micrometer for precision seating, then you don't need Redding, pull up there catalog, you'll see the options.

I'd you are looking for precision rifle ammo, Redding is the only option to get dies that can control all aspects. Any other will be simple like Pistol dies, no precise control.

Forster makes some decent precision stuff (bushing dies, micrometer seating dies etc), On par with redding in my experience, and averages $25 cheaper per die.

Back
Top Bottom