• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dillon SQD Strong Mount hardware size?

jhagberg88

NES Member
I am probably the least handy guy on this forum, what size mounting hardware/drill bit am I going to need to mount my strong mount to a bench?

Friendly suggestion - wait till you have both the mount and press in hand before you start to drill holes and buy hardware. You may need to change your plans if you end up with a support member under one set of mounting screws - will need either long hardware or can use wood lag screws instead. You also want to be sure of positioning of the press before drilling - make sure to have full stroke of the press handle with no interference. Depending on your future plans (case feeders, bullet feeders, etc..) may also need to consider what is above, behind and to the side of the press before settling on a final location. Would also use the beefiest diameter hardware that will work along with fender washers, lock washers and lock-tite. Tighten that sumabitch down. Any movement of the press/mount will be a huge distraction.

Friendly suggestion - wait till you have both the mount and press in hand before you start to drill holes and buy hardware. You may need to change your plans if you end up with a support member under one set of mounting screws - will need either long hardware or can use wood lag screws instead. You also want to be sure of positioning of the press before drilling - make sure to have full stroke of the press handle with no interference. Depending on your future plans (case feeders, bullet feeders, etc..) may also need to consider what is above, behind and to the side of the press before settling on a final location. Would also use the beefiest diameter hardware that will work along with fender washers, lock washers and lock-tite. Tighten that sumabitch down. Any movement of the press/mount will be a huge distraction.
I agree to wait until you have press and strong mount in hand and together before marking or drilling holes. I have two 550s with strong mounts and their hole footprints can very depending on how you assemble strong mounts. There is a little play between press and mounts until you tighten the assembly bolts, and that play can move where you need to drill holes by about width of bolt.

I don’t crank them down terribly tight. I use 1/4-20 metal thumb wheels instead of nuts on the bolts, turn hand tight. Then I can swap them out by hand not needing tools. Just did it this morning. I haven’t noticed any movement of press

Back
Top Bottom